Why the Beats Hate?
May 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,801 of 2,037
No, nobody, even you don't believe this. That's like saying the sound from a transistor radio is the same as a Bose system. It's not. Sound is not subjective more than not because can be measured (distortion, clarity, and etc, etc). Now I get that 'better' can be subjective because it depends on one's unique tastes.

But then, both the radio and bose suck.

I don't look at labels. I like headphones that can play all frequencies great, and takes well to eq.

May 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,802 of 2,037
But then, both the radio and bose suck.

I don't look at labels. I like headphones that can play all frequencies great, and takes well to eq.

Radio, the original and best streaming service (especially if you're lucky enough to be born in the country that is the home of the BBC) can sound great and what's eq all about, unless your headphones are somehow defective??

I don't know; this modern world!?!?

(PS Magnum Dynalab or an old Leak Troughline (a couple of really nice labels there) recommended to doubters)

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #1,803 of 2,037
Likewise 'style" Build quality isn't
I wish there were more aluminum/stainless steel headphones around.

No, nobody, even you don't believe this. That's like saying the sound from a transistor radio is the same as a Bose system. It's not. Sound is not subjective more than not because can be measured (distortion, clarity, and etc, etc). Now I get that 'better' can be subjective because it depends on one's unique tastes.
When you get to a certain point of objectively good sound quality, it becomes subjective, where "good" depends on the listener's preferences. Most people don't sweat the details.

PS Glad the THREAD (my personal favourite) is alive and well after a period of hibernation

A little sad about the amount if positivity" almost luv!?!" for these at best very aveeeeeage headphones. Mediocrity is plenty and all most people aspire to it seems it this modern world.

Edited.. Irrelevant rant removed.

Beats are synonymous with the stupid dumbed down, image obsessed, skin deep, ugly modern, talentless world to me
oh-geez-thats-me-someone-subtweets-someone-thats-obviously-not-29431063.png

I'll have you know, "mediocrity" is my middle name.

May 26, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,805 of 2,037
I was gifted Beats EP. They are great. Check the rtings review. Relatively neutral and low distortion. And the build quality is incomporable at $100. Ive only started listening. If they hold up Ill start a thread.

It’s basically a wired version of the Solo at a lower price point. It’s a surprisingly good value from Beats.

May 26, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,806 of 2,037
It’s basically a wired version of the Solo at a lower price point. It’s a surprisingly good value from Beats.
They look like a very durable set of headphones. That solid, hingeless stainless steel-reinforced headband plus no built-in rechargeable battery means they'll practically last forever. It's a shame the cable is fixed; if only it was detachable and Beats made Android compatible and hardwired Lightning to 3.5 mm cables too, that would be perfect.

May 26, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,807 of 2,037
I checked the comparison on Rtings and the Beats EP is much more neutral than the Solo3, for better or worse. No scooped mids and even a recessed subbass. Beats EP and BeatsX are Apple headphones through and through. Best-in-class performance for an on-ear at that price point whether audiophiles like it or not.

May 27, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #1,808 of 2,037
Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,809 of 2,037
I know customers like that. Their headphones were damaged by accident/misuse/abuse and not covered under warranty, so they’re venting their frustration through writing a bad review.

Edit:

Should've gotten Beats

Speaking of which, the inline remote on my Beats Solo 2 Wireless' cable kinda fell apart after only 3-4 months of owning it. I didn't even use it much because it's a wireless headphone. So I contacted Apple support and bing bam boom bada bing bada boom, got a new cable under warranty and sent the broken one back.

Oh, and the Solo 2 Wireless do sound brilliant btw

I also may have posted about my Studio 2.0 Wireless that died after a failed firmware update. I originally bought them from eBay so I didn't have proof of purchase or anything, but Apple replaced them anyway under warranty. Can't find the post but I have the work authorization though

Edit 2: oh it was in this thread haha

This reminds me of when my Studio Wireless got bricked by a software update. The update stopped at step 2 of 3, and the headphone's battery gauge just oscillated back and forth, like this:

8496811.gif

When I performed a hard reset the LEDs went out and the headphone wouldn't turn on again. I was fairly sure they were out of warranty, but when I took it to the Apple Store, somehow the Genius put it in for warranty service and a couple of weeks later, I got a brand new set because they couldn't fix my old one.

Edit 3: one point I forgot to consider is the inline remote of the Beats EP's. They look like they have the same design as the other models' detachable cable's, and from personal experience I know that's a common point of failure. Two of my Beats' inline remotes fell apart after a few months of (non-abusive) use, so I had to send a total of two cables in for warranty service. Out of all the one-star reviews on that Amazon page you linked, only one mentions the inline remote failing. Most of the other ones are about headphone jack failure/damage, some of them by kids.

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,810 of 2,037
I know customers like that. Their headphones were damaged by accident/misuse/abuse and not covered under warranty, so they’re venting their frustration through writing a bad review.

Edit 3: one point I forgot to consider is the inline remote of the Beats EP's. They look like they have the same design as the other models' detachable cable's, and from personal experience I know that's a common point of failure. Two of my Beats' inline remotes fell apart after a few months of (non-abusive) use, so I had to send a total of two cables in for warranty service. Out of all the one-star reviews on that Amazon page you linked, only one mentions the inline remote failing. Most of the other ones are about headphone jack failure/damage, some of them by kids.

Yes I am well aware it is human nature to tell others of bad experiences (rightly so in regard to product reviews) However 1 in 3 negative reviews is pretty exceptional and shouldn't be dismissed so lightly.

My advice to a person who really wants a something that ' practically lasts forever" is to save up a bit more pocket money.

In the world of headphones that means as always the (beautifully all plastic) modular Sennheiser HD25. Pays for itself many times over as a long term investment.

A fool and his money are soon parted as they say...

May 27, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,811 of 2,037
Best-in-class performance for an on-ear at that price point whether audiophiles like it or not.

I assume youve tried every single other headphone in this class. If not then I'm sorry but this sound like the usual ridiculous statement peddled by lover boys and hypsters. Opinion as fact

I've personally bought 4 pairs of closed back on ear headphones over the last couple of years. All cost (in the UK) about half or less than these EPs. The Musical Fidelity MF100 and MF200, Sony MDR10RC, and also the Jays U Jays (super stylish but unfortunately not comfortable)

All of them sounded pretty good, funily enough. I'll wager maybe even as good as those Beats :triportsad:

May 27, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,812 of 2,037
I assume youve tried every single other headphone in this class. If not then I'm sorry but this sound like the usual ridiculous statement peddled by lover boys and hypsters. Opinion as fact

I've personally bought 4 pairs of closed back on ear headphones over the last couple of years. All cost (in the UK) about half or less than these EPs. The Musical Fidelity MF100 and MF200, Sony MDR10RC, and also the Jays U Jays (super stylish but unfortunately not comfortable)

All of them sounded pretty good, funily enough. I'll wager maybe even as good as those Beats :triportsad:

InnerFidelity rated the Solo2/Solo3 best-in-class for an on-ear at $199/$299 and Rtings’ current best on-ear headphone is the Solo3. I’d imagine the only on-ear to truly surpass it would be the Audeze Sine, which is fun and transparent — super impressive for its size.

May 27, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,813 of 2,037
I’d imagine the only on-ear to truly surpass it would be the Audeze Sine

Wow. I really think you believe what you write. Good for you !

May 27, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,815 of 2,037
Yes I am well aware it is human nature to tell others of bad experiences (rightly so in regard to product reviews) However 1 in 3 negative reviews is pretty exceptional and shouldn't be dismissed so lightly.

My advice to a person who really wants a something that ' practically lasts forever" is to save up a bit more pocket money.

In the world of headphones that means as always the (beautifully all plastic) modular Sennheiser HD25. Pays for itself many times over as a long term investment.

A fool and his money are soon parted as they say...
The most ambitious crossover event in headphone history: Sennheiser HD201 x Monster Beats Studio logic board

SpjgcWD.jpg gZfaEMl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back