Why no multi-driver headphones?
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
Guys, why are there no multi-driver headphones?  It seems to work well with speakers, and IEM's.  Why don't headphone companies adapt this design?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 52
I suspect there isn't much need. Multidrivers on speakers are there because to move enough air with a woofer, you sacrifice what would let it act nicely as a tweeter - plus the nastiness of crossover circuitry in the mix... This compromise isn't necessary with the smaller drivers of a headphone.

Also, I don't know if there is enough room for the sounds to blend well (decay rates, location bias) - leading to disjointed imaging...

That said - I think some gaming headsets (Razer Tiamat 7) I think use multiple drivers. I have no idea how it sounds comparatively... 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 52
Multiple drivers are actually pretty common in the gaming headset market, in an attempt to provide surround sound effects.

The problem? Binaural surround technologies like CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone paired with a quality pair of drivers (usually larger than those in multiple-driver sets) generally work better in most people's experiences anyway.

There are also unusual hybrid designs like the AKG K 340 that combine different driver types, not to provide surround, but to refine stereo sound as a whole; in the K 340's case, electrets and dynamic/moving-coil drivers. Ideally, this is meant to bring the best of both worlds between the two driver types, but I've heard reports of hearing a distinct disconnect between certain frequencies, presumably because of the crossover network and the fact that they're two very different driver designs that render the same frequencies very differently.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 52
I do too, mainly to to have dedicated low and high frequency drivers to avoid ringing. One major issue I do see is the variance of output impedance among different amps. This could really mess up crossovers.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 52
Some people really like the K340 after some modifications, but nameless is right that some people find the k340 intolerable due the cross-over.  High end custom IEMs have multiple drivers as well.

Quote:
Multiple drivers are actually pretty common in the gaming headset market, in an attempt to provide surround sound effects.

The problem? Binaural surround technologies like CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone paired with a quality pair of drivers (usually larger than those in multiple-driver sets) generally work better in most people's experiences anyway.

There are also unusual hybrid designs like the AKG K 340 that combine different driver types, not to provide surround, but to refine stereo sound as a whole; in the K 340's case, electrets and dynamic/moving-coil drivers. Ideally, this is meant to bring the best of both worlds between the two driver types, but I've heard reports of hearing a distinct disconnect between certain frequencies, presumably because of the crossover network and the fact that they're two very different driver designs that render the same frequencies very differently.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 52
I think a crossover would be a problem. If you've seen a speaker crossover, they have big caps and inductors. Even scaled down, they'd add weight and bulk. You could put them in an outboard box, but then you'd have to run additional wires. It could be done, but it'd probably be a small manufacturer who pulls it off.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 52
Going by UE's answer, that would mean multi-driver setups exist in speakers because there is enough room for them to exist.
And they exist in IEMs because IEMs use balanced armatures, which are smaller (and presumably, the crossovers are small too). 
Headphones, however, mainly use dynamic drivers--as I understand it, this is the same driver type as speakers, just smaller. In that case there just isn't enough space for crossover components.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 52
Well there's the Phiaton PS 320...http://phiaton.com/products/phiaton/HEADPHONES/PS_320/?cat=1&id=13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back