Why leash laws for dogs only?
Jan 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 114
There are various products designed to keep small animals like cats out of your yard safely that will probably have a side effect of keeping away squirrels and the like. You can also call animal control if your municipality has laws that prevent animal roaming.

Calling animal control on a neighbors animal without at least talking to them first is not the best way to be "neighborly", though.

See: Neighborhood Cats | Info | Keeping Cats Out of Yards

of course, any strays (and any neighborhood ends up with strays as people just move and leave pets behind these days, the difference is cats will survive and multiply if left behind) will have no owners to contact. Put your garbage in a sturdy plastic sealing container and try one of the repellents. Just don't expect too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm lucky. Mine rarely bark. Most owners I've talked to have the same luck.

Most small fuzzy white dog owners I know profess their dogs don't bark either, usually while it is barking.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is exactly why I plan on not ever having a yard, and dropping 1/2 inch of soundproofing foam behind the walls floor and ceiling of any condo henceforth. Because shooting the neighbors is illegal. And messy.

My condolences on your loss, truly - just don't go and do something drastic you may regret later.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 114
Quote:

But I need to film the owners letting their cats go into their house, so they don't claim the cats don't belong to them.

Not really the same thing, but there is a neighbor's cat (tagged) that enters my apartment whenever the door is open and she is within 15 feet, like clockwork. At least she doesn't fight me when I pick her up to toss her out.

Does your municipality have a pet license law? Any unlicensed pet can be carted off by animal control, iirc.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #33 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are various products designed to keep small animals like cats out of your yard safely that will probably have a side effect of keeping away squirrels and the like. You can also call animal control if your municipality has laws that prevent animal roaming.

Calling animal control on a neighbors animal without at least talking to them first is not the best way to be "neighborly", though.

See: Neighborhood Cats | Info | Keeping Cats Out of Yards

of course, any strays (and any neighborhood ends up with strays as people just move and leave pets behind these days, the difference is cats will survive and multiply if left behind) will have no owners to contact. Put your garbage in a sturdy plastic sealing container and try one of the repellents. Just don't expect too much.

Most small fuzzy white dog owners I know profess their dogs don't bark either, usually while it is barking.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is exactly why I plan on not ever having a yard, and dropping 1/2 inch of soundproofing foam behind the walls floor and ceiling of any condo henceforth. Because shooting the neighbors is illegal. And messy.

My condolences on your loss, truly - just don't go and do something drastic you may regret later.

I hate yapping little dogs. Mine aren't. If they were, I'd have gotten rid of them. My neighbors Schnauzers never shut up. And they leave them outside for hours, no matter how late. Once I counted 197 barks in the time it took me to smoke a cigarrette! And it was 11.p.m. on a weekday. I make sure I rev up my truck when I leave for work at 6 a.m. just for revenge.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #34 of 114
Quote:

Not really the same thing, but there is a neighbor's cat (tagged) that enters my apartment whenever the door is open and she is within 15 feet, like clockwork. At least she doesn't fight me when I pick her up to toss her out.

Does your municipality have a pet license law? Any unlicensed pet can be carted off by animal control, iirc.

I just called animal control and asked. Unlicensed animals can and will be picked up when a call is logged to their office. Next time I see the cats, I'll just call. If they don't catch them I can use a live trap, to hold them until the officer shows up.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #35 of 114
Have you tried talking to the owners? Can't you threaten them with legal action or something?

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #36 of 114
Quote:

I hate yapping little dogs. Mine aren't. If they were, I'd have gotten rid of them. My neighbors Schnauzers never shut up. And they leave them outside for hours, no matter how late. Once I counted 197 barks in the time it took me to smoke a cigarrette! And it was 11.p.m. on a weekday. I make sure I rev up my truck when I leave for work at 6 a.m. just for revenge.

You counted the barks????????

I strongly suggest you step back and take a look at where you're going with this whole pet, feces, worm, inconsiderate owner thing. It seems to be taking a lot of your time and a toll on your emotional wellbeing. Really, you need to relax.

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #37 of 114
Having been a longtime happy owner of both dogs and cats through the years, and sometimes a dog and a cat at the same time, as I do now... I would like to interject that it is a trap to answer a thread of which the owner of one of the friendly little pets has recently been bereaved.

Sorry for the loss of your trusty little buddy. You might check that your next little doggie comes from a source that agrees with your views. It wouldn't be consitent, for instance, if your new doggie just loved little kitties.

You can take the stray feces that the cat who braved a dog's yard to relieve itself (most won't), and have one of your favoritely frequented vets check it for said disease spreading. You won't sound crazy when you submit the evidence to your neighbor who may feel about their pet as you do, and wouldn't want their pet endangered, or to have it endanger a neighbors animals. They could take thier diseased pet for treatment, and you will have done a fine deed.

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #38 of 114
If the cats roaming onto your property are strays, they should be picked up by animal control and placed in a local animal shelter. If they're your neighbors cats, then your first step is to speak with the neighbors about what happened.

It's the owner's responsibility to keep pets healthy, and you may have a case if the owner failed to provide regular vet visits for his/her pet(s).

Regarding leash law, it's in place because of the difference in mentality between dogs and cats. Dogs tend to respond to provocation by attacking, while cats and other animals tend to respond by running away.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #39 of 114
I tried to talk to the neighbors. Got cussed at (was hard to refrain from knocking teeth out), and denial of their cats being the cause.

Live trap time.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #41 of 114
Quote:

I agree, small children should be leashed and muzzled in public.

LOL I thought that exact thing when I read the thread title
wink.gif

Mmm well at least cats cover up what they do, unlike dogs...

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #42 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmm well at least cats cover up what they do, unlike dogs...

Not all of them.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #43 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd put my kids on leashes

I knew a guy who put his toddlers on a leash. His teenage son had a rival gangster executed.

leash = bad
pretzel = good

May 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #44 of 114
Follow up: all stray cats have been taken to the city's pound. Including all the new ones that have showed up since. It pays to have a friend on the city counsel.

May 1, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #45 of 114
Quote:

I, in no way, condone dogs should be allowed to roam as cats are allowed to. I have had friends and neighbors mauled by dogs. Yes dogs are a threat to humans, but cats are too. Cats can spread disease. Also, as I previously mentioned, them digging into trash.

Cats should not be allowed to roam. Period.

I'm going to go buy some ammo for my Glock...later.

Ok, this explains why you were crapping up the lolcat thread, and while I am sorry for your loss, the conclusion is more than a little convoluted. Your beef is with pet owners who have no business owning a pet, not with the entire cat species.

But if you're serious about the Glock, and not just being InternetToughGuy, then you're messed up, and I hope the nice policemen come and take you away. Don't be stupid. Your choices are to either get the local SPCA involved in educating your neighbors, or to move.

You don't need a friend on the city council, the same service is for everyone. I think that neighborhood would be better off without you in it. I think your dogs would be happier if allowed to act like dogs. Both oars aren't in the water here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back