Why leash laws for dogs only?
Jan 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

Austin 3:16

500+ Head-Fier
I don't understand why leash laws in most towns apply to dogs only. Many cat owners don't take their cat's to have shots, and let them run wild spreading diseases such as worms, etc. They also are just as bad about tearing trash bags and making a mess.

I lost a very special dogs because of neighborhood roaming cats spreading worms. It was a runt dog that wasn't big nor strong enough to fight off the damage caused by worms and subsequent treatments. I have all my animals shots done, and up to date, and treat for tick and fleas on my lawn every 8 weeks. But due to lack of leash laws, and cat owners responsibility, I lost a precious pet.

R.I.P. LIL Sweet Pea!

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 114
sorry about your loss, man. i've had my dog since he was a puppy, he is now 11 and slowing down quite a bit. i know i will be devastated when i lose him. i also feel your pain about the cats. we have them running around all over my neighborhood. when i'm walking my dog and we run into a stray cat, it's almost like i'm skiing behind my dog he wants to get at them so bad. and sometimes i just want to turn him loose on them. take care in your grieving process.

Jan 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 114
Not to down play your loss, but how do you know it was a cat that caused it? Many dog owners don't clean up their dog's waste either, which could be just as likely a source of parasites. I've had dogs and cats who have required multiple dewormings to be parasite free, so just because a pet has been dewormed doesn't mean that it was 100% successful. And if the cats are strays, then a leash law would hardly apply. Leash laws apply to dogs because dogs can kill. I've never heard of a stray cat taking down a small child. What's more, cats can get out of almost any collar, and I can speak from experience that most cats don't react well to harnesses. I love both cats and dogs, and have had both throughout my life. And I hate seeing stray cats, or outdoor cats who don't receive the care and attention they should. But I don't see how leash laws really apply here.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to down play your loss, but how do you know it was a cat that caused it? Many dog owners don't clean up their dog's waste either, which could be just as likely a source of parasites. I've had dogs and cats who have required multiple dewormings to be parasite free, so just because a pet has been dewormed doesn't mean that it was 100% successful. And if the cats are strays, then a leash law would hardly apply. Leash laws apply to dogs because dogs can kill. I've never heard of a stray cat taking down a small child. What's more, cats can get out of almost any collar, and I can speak from experience that most cats don't react well to harnesses. I love both cats and dogs, and have had both throughout my life. And I hate seeing stray cats, or outdoor cats who don't receive the care and attention they should. But I don't see how leash laws really apply here.

I had the cat feeces in my back yard tested, that's how I know. I have my dogs tested regularly (quarterly).

I know where each roaming cat in my neighborhood belongs. Each one has an owner. Irresponsible owners. Who gives a **** if the cats don't like it? I'm sure the dogs don't care for it either (have you asked your dog mr. assumption?).

My rights are violated when their cats arrive onto my property.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 114
Sorry about your loss. Cats outdoors are a pita for sure! I also have them in my garden rippin open garbage-bags and spreading the contents all over the place. I now have the bags put away where they can't reach them but their feeces are another story.
Last summer my neighbour had to redo his garden because it had been completely ruined by cats strollin / ****ting around and he just had a new one for about 3 yrs.
Good luck..

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why leash laws in most towns apply to dogs only.

I agree, small children should be leashed and muzzled in public.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 114
Sorry about your loss man, but I can hardly agree with you. Should we make a stink with our municipalities to eradicate all raccoons and squirrels? It seems to me this is a vendetta more than anything else.

I'm personally a big supporter of indoor cats, however.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about your loss man, but I can hardly agree with you. Should we make a stink with our municipalities to eradicate all raccoons and squirrels? It seems to me this is a vendetta more than anything else.

I'm personally a big supporter of indoor cats, however.

I am talking about domesticated animals as pets. The law should include all. Wild animals, of course, are out of the loop.

I don't have wild animals climbing into my privacy-fenced back yard other than squirrels. My dogs ensure the squirrels stay in the trees.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 114
Well sidestepping your specific loss, I think the damage done between the two species are difficult to compare - especially in their affect on humans which is where the majority of pet laws are concerned. How many house cats have mulled of a child to death? I can't think of a single park that has been overrun by cats and their feces though I know two near me that has been designated "free roaming dog parks" making them nearly unusable for human use (picnics, etc.). No one I've witnessed takes their cats into supermarkets or restaurants hoping others won't find their presence uncomfortable or unsanitary. Hell, even when visiting a home, I know more cat owners who ask or offer to lock their cat in the other room than dog owner that ever bring up that the dog could be a problem.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, but since you brought it up in a public forum, I have to say my experience is the average dog owner is far more irresponsible than your average cat owner. Part of this is the immediate damage that can be done by the animal (though for example disposable kitty litter is recommended against for my area because of its effect on water wildlife - less immediate and similar to your case), but that's not the whole story. I know two people that have "I'm a dog owner and I vote" bumper stickers on their cars and I've never heard them discuss proposals that seemed to be in the interest also of the "non-dog owner" community. They're really pretty selfish (though others maybe need less to be because there are fewer laws). No doubt part of that is they live in small apartments where they probably shouldn't have a dog to begin with. That's a whole other part of this, but its related.

It's also related to maybe where some of our perspectives in this thread come from. Growing up in the country (where I had both as pets), there were more free roaming cats and dogs were usually running on private property, cats did cause more problems than they do now in my life (though still not remotely close to dogs where a neighbor child was killed). Now living in a city I rarely see a cat on the streets (most are inside as it's too dangerous outside - including because of dogs - who can take a cat out safely "on a leash" thus no need for the law?), and public use lands are where dogs run and crap. It's not a great scenario and we all need to compromise, but when I spread a blanket out in the park on a sunny Saturday afternoon, cat waste isn't what I'm concerned with. When I'm walking with a woman, and I'm picking up the vibe to cross the street, it's not because a large aggressive cat is walking down this side (no tiger jokes please).

Again, I'm for protecting dogs too, but as for the different number of laws between the species, I think it's quite understandable.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 114
I, in no way, condone dogs should be allowed to roam as cats are allowed to. I have had friends and neighbors mauled by dogs. Yes dogs are a threat to humans, but cats are too. Cats can spread disease. Also, as I previously mentioned, them digging into trash.

Cats should not be allowed to roam. Period.

I'm going to go buy some ammo for my Glock...later.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 114
I'm quite sure that nondomestic animals are far more likely to spread worms than housecats - your assertion that they "probably don't get their shots" is baseless.

But by all means, let us pass laws to prevent other people from doing things we don't like. I'm sure that your outside dogs are very quiet and don't bother anyone, either, right? Would you be ok with a neighbor trying to promote a muzzle law for all outside dogs? Voicebox removal perhaps?

Your dog just as likely got worms from other dogs, feces, animal carcasses, other wildlife critters or possibly even your own dogs. (It is these other things that give cats worms, after all) I'm sure it sucks, but try not to become the neighborhood crankpot over it.

Get a larger home and keep your animals inside - you can't keep random small animals off your yard legally.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, in no way, condone dogs should be allowed to roam as cats are allowed to. I have had friends and neighbors mauled by dogs. Yes dogs are a threat to humans, but cats are too. Cats can spread disease. Also, as I previously mentioned, them digging into trash.

Cats should not be allowed to roam. Period.

I'm going to go buy some ammo for my Glock...later.

Internet toughguy.

Keeping your dogs healthy is your responsibility, not that of the municipality. Shooting at neighbor's pets is a surefire way to end up the subject of a fark thread.

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite sure that nondomestic animals are far more likely to spread worms than housecats - your assertion that they "probably don't get their shots" is baseless.

But by all means, let us pass laws to prevent other people from doing things we don't like. I'm sure that your outside dogs are very quiet and don't bother anyone, either, right? Would you be ok with a neighbor trying to promote a muzzle law for all outside dogs? Voicebox removal perhaps?

Your dog just as likely got worms from other dogs, feces, animal carcasses, other wildlife critters or possibly even your own dogs. (It is these other things that give cats worms, after all) I'm sure it sucks, but try not to become the neighborhood crankpot over it.

Get a larger home and keep your animals inside - you can't keep random small animals off your yard legally.

My dogs are inside dogs. They only go out to eat/drink/****/piss. Bichons are not a barks alot breed. Rarely do they bark when outside. How's your shoe taste?

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Internet toughguy.

Keeping your dogs healthy is your responsibility, not that of the municipality. Shooting at neighbor's pets is a surefire way to end up the subject of a fark thread.

If the pet owners nor the city will prevent the spread of disease, I'm taking the matter into my own hands.

The cats are coming onto MY property. They do not belong here, nor have any right to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back