Why is the HD650 'boring'?
May 31, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #31 of 88
Maybe you prefer Metal with a smaller sound stage, less 'distant' presentation, faster attack and decay etcetera... (The HD25-I II should suit you fine.)

Did you audition the HD650 before buying or did you gamble with the purchase? The higher Sennheiser series in particular really need a good set up and with that set up you can tweak the sound of the music to a certain extent. Some headphones are quite demanding in that aspect and it has been mentioned before in the case of the HD650. 

May 31, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #32 of 88
"Boring" is a label used by people too lazy to address deficiencies in their chain.
popcorn.gif

May 31, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #33 of 88

Quote:
Well, because some people compare them to other headphones that are more upfront and engaging. Standalone they aren't that boring, especially when playing rock music or anything with a good beat. But, if you are going to compare it to some Grados or even something like the AD900 or D2000, you'll soon find out how smooth, laid back, and easy going the sound is. People will play metal or hard rock expecting them to somehow alter the music to have a slower tempo and less impact and say "Why do people say these are boring?". But it's not that at all. Exciting music is exciting. Boring music is boring. But more aggressive headphones will make the "exciting", "electrifying". And that difference to some (including me) really makes or brakes a headphone. Hence exactly what happened with my D2000 vs HD650 review. No, the HD650 isn't a bad phone, it's just to slow and yes, "boring" for me. And I don't have any plans on making it "exciting" by adding a thousand dollar amp to it. I think I'll just save a ton of dough and buy something that is originally more aggressive...

A $250 solid state amp will do just fine. I find them to be much more engaging with my SS amp than my hybrid amp. They are smooth but not overly so. I wouldn't want headphones to make the music more exciting, but simply reproduce the music as boring with boring music and exciting with exciting music, and I think they do just that. I guess they are no good for metal, but I find for anything else they are really excellent. I don't think they are for everyone, but people who think they are boring really need to try them again with a different source.

May 31, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #34 of 88
It's just taste and preferences

Someone's boring, is another's relaxing. Someone's engaging is another's piercing. Someone's exciting is another's unnatural coloured.

People just differ on what the want in sound and HD650's are pretty 'extreme' in being warm and laid back, so will have lovers and haters.

May 31, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #35 of 88
It all depends on the music you listen to.

I used my old pair on GS Solo 2007/SRG, Woo6se and Audio-gd Roc (unbalanced) and always found them boring, dull and lifeless even with aftermarket cables BUT I listen to rock and metal which are not the ideal genre's for the HD650's.

I could imagine the HD650's could be very involving and maybe even exciting for people with different tastes but for me they were the worst serious headphone I have ever owned.

May 31, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #36 of 88
why did you find them boring for metal? Bass impact wasn't enough? Treble was too recessed?

If you they were too 'laid back' please explain the term with regards to frequency response because I don't understand it!

May 31, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #37 of 88
I think you just have to accept that we all hear differently, think differently and have different tastes. Thats why we have such amazing choice of headphones these days and thats definitely something to be thankful for. There's really something for everyone :)

May 31, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #38 of 88
Laid back would normally imply a recessed midrange (and possibly treble). But it's more than just what a frequency response curve will show you - it's partly down to soundstaging too. A laid-back headphone may give you the impression that the instruments are far away from the listener. And without getting too technical about things I don't really understand, soundstage cues are tied up in the frequency response, but are also to do with the size, angle, and distance of the drivers from the outer ear.

Quote:
why did you find them boring for metal? Bass impact wasn't enough? Treble was too recessed?

If you they were too 'laid back' please explain the term with regards to frequency response because I don't understand it!

May 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #39 of 88

Quote:

Treble too recessed
Bass not tight enough or even deep enough
Lacking clarity & detail
Not fast enough
No energy or vitality (vital for metal in my opinion)

May 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #41 of 88

Quote:
Treble too recessed
Bass not tight enough or even deep enough
Lacking clarity & detail
Not fast enough
No energy or vitality (vital for metal in my opinion)

All of these, plus the oft-discussed "Veil" pus you further away from Metal than you should be.

Also, to whoever said these have huge soundstage...
confused.gif
The HD650s actually have less soundstage than some closed cans, let alone other open ones. Now the 598s, 800, yea those have huge soundstage... but not the 650s, no sir.

May 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #42 of 88
With all due respect to OP but I believe this thread becomes a discussion about one's personal taste of music and personal taste of the re-production sound of the HPs. 

One likes the H650 s while the other dislikes them. This is pure audio entry level 101 and that leads us into the land of nowhere since not every ears are created equally. Last night, at the stop light I heard some loud music with full rattle distortion from the sub-woofer in the trunk of a car on the other lane next to me. The people in the car were happily shaking their heads in tune of the music that the treble and bass were EQing to the max.  I felt sorry for them for not knowing and missing what the fine audiophile quality music. At the same token, they were happy with what they perceived the best , so I gave them a thump up for their happiness.

There is nothing to learn in this kind of thread that ask for personal opinion but repetition of ;like and dislike so I am out of here and happy listening to whatever you own and whatever you like. 

May 31, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:
All of these, plus the oft-discussed "Veil" pus you further away from Metal than you should be.

Also, to whoever said these have huge soundstage...
confused.gif
The HD650s actually have less soundstage than some closed cans, let alone other open ones. Now the 598s, 800, yea those have huge soundstage... but not the 650s, no sir.

Less soundstage than some closed headphones?  That does not sound right at all.  What amp did you use with the HD650 when you had them?

May 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #44 of 88

Quote:
"Boring" is a label used by people too lazy to address deficiencies in their chain.
popcorn.gif

x2

I've found the 650's are the perfect phones to test equipment with. If they sound dull, it is because of your equipment. Simple as.  Also if your ears are too used to being bombarded with false frequency responses, then they will also sound dull. 

I find the clarity on them amazing, the highs are just right, any higher would be false.     

May 31, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #45 of 88

Quote:
x2

I've found the 650's are the perfect phones to test equipment with. If they sound dull, it is because of your equipment. Simple as.  Also if your ears are too used to being bombarded with false frequency responses, then they will also sound dull. 

I find the clarity on them amazing, the highs are just right, any higher would be false.     

I actually disagree with the equipment being the issue. I have tested the 650s on practically every major tube and SS amp including my setup and I still found them dull and boring. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back