Why is SPDIF better than USB?
Sep 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #91 of 121

Quote:

I believe that your inability to clearly distinguish between the input methods is due to the use of an ASRC chip on the Gamma2, which according to whitepapers on that type of device is supposed to minimize/eliminate jitter.

Here is a short and easy to read article by Benchmark about using an ASRC
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2010/05/1/jitter-reduction-using-pll-and-asrc-devices

This is the kind of 'good jitter reduction strategy' that I was referring to. And yes, then the input method becomes less relevant.
Still, the toslink connection is somtimes of such low quality that you can loose whole sample frames. And there is no (async) sample rate conversion, async fifo buffer, PLL+VXCO+D-latch that will help you out! 

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #92 of 121
Interesting, Epoch and middachten. Now since I've concluded that input options do not really matter with respect to my particular DAC, it's time to experiment with ADUM4160-based galvanic isolation. It's interesting (and cheap) to say the least. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #93 of 121
Best solution I have currently found on the market to get the most out of my digital sources (comps and a Cary Music Server)

Source -> Cynosure USB (Cryo-Parts.com, very very expensive but the best sound I have ever heard) -> Diverter (http://www.cryo-parts.com/sonicweld_diverter.html) -> Core/Custom made cables (I have experimented with many and use my custom DIY version the most simply bc of the synergy I found) -> Zodiac + (AMAZING, I will get the gold when it is released in black prob, these things r ridiculous....simply unreal) -> Whiplash Reference RCAs/Balanced custom cables -> CAD-300SEI/BUDA/Apache

Noe it's obvious I have spent a lot of $ on my end and this is more of expensive route the vast majority of u will want to take; however, if you want the best at least to my ears. This is the way to go. Has anyone else heard this amazing combo of cables n diverter n DAC. The amps all sound good but this brought the rig unreal SQ. Let me know if anyone else has been able to hear any of these cables n diverter, thx.

I have been searching a long while to find something I can be amazed by and this, FINALLY, is it!!!

O I didn't mention any Can 'synergy' well I mainly use Ed8, HD800, PS1000i and recently LCD-2. All recables done by Craig at Whiplash using TWag in most cases, including RCAs

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #95 of 121
What happened to the S/PDIF vs. USB discussion? Any chance we can get back on track? Or should I bring things to a close?

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #96 of 121
I'm rather surprised that there's no standard for clock-locking the transport with DAC as that's what the professionals have been doing for quite some time. The only path now is DIY or hire someone to do the soldering, a fifteen minute job. But doing so the gain are immense and the question of the thread becomes (in my mind if not mistaken) irrelevant, or am I wrong concerning a master clock?

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #97 of 121

[size=13.0pt]I agree and would think that an Atomic clock would be mandatory for perfect digital synchronizing the orbit of electrons around neutrons on the sub-atomic level.[/size]

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #98 of 121
Sarcasm on the net are sometimes hard to get, as it tends to point at ones intention(s).. but worrying about entropy?

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #99 of 121

Quote:

[size=13pt]I agree and would think that an Atomic clock would be mandatory for perfect digital synchronizing the orbit of electrons around neutrons on the subatomic level.[/size]

Your dac would come with a gps transponder with the space station for daily calibration checks.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #100 of 121

Quote:
Your dac would come with a gps transponder with the space station for daily calibration checks.

Lol, it would need to be updated in real time to be considered truly audiophile 
devil_face.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #102 of 121

Quote:
What happened to the S/PDIF vs. USB discussion? Any chance we can get back on track? Or should I bring things to a close?

The problems with SPDIF are inherent to the encoding method as there will always be some signal-related jitter at the receiving end. This has been addressed within SPDIF receivers by synching on the data header only, as this portion is not encoded via bimark and may give better results.

On the USB side the problem is that the data transmission rate is irregular due to the 1ms timing of data block transfers (regardless of sampling rate). Here, as in SPDIF, receivers use a VCO that is controlled by some sort of PLL circuit.

So the timing quality (jitter) of the data stream sent to the DAC is influenced by the quality of the receiver's circuit design. I don't see how USB can be better than SPDIF unless I2S is used (instead of SPDIF) to send data from the USB receiver to the DAC.

The only major improvement would come from asynchronous transmission and/or DAC clocking controlled by a high-stability clock. THIS HAS BEEN DONE in some cases by both SPDIF and USB systems but the methods are proprietary and expensive.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #103 of 121
Oct 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #104 of 121

[size=medium]
You will find the answer that you seek in the question that you ask Grasshopper! When I aspire, to a cable with sonics higher,  I seek out wire, that is made from fire! Go in peace my son, this thread has now moved to its final destination.

deadhorse.gif

[/size]

Quote:
Why is SPDIF better than USB?  Aren't they both digital signals?  Why would one be an improvement over the other?

I apologize if this has been discussed (seems like an obvious topic), I just can't find it.

I've seen DAC's that have USB and SPDIF inputs, and [size=16.0pt]“everyone says the SPDIF input sounds much better”[/size], and I've seen USB to SPDIF converters.... so why not just do that inside a USB DAC if it is such an improvement?  And why is it an improvement?  Why would one lossless digital signal sound better than another?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back