Why is everyone trying to get rid of their AKG701?
Jun 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #121 of 192
Quote:
 Most people like natural sound, not neutral.

Natural sound = neutral sound. K701 and HD800 are NOT neutral. They are etched to make details sound more obvious.

As for using the K701 with a portable player, I loved my K701 through a Cowon. The integrated BBE enhancements and hardware EQ brought some warmth and bass impact into it which I thought was lacking.

On second thought, I might buy a K701 again for my Cowon. Or maybe an Hifiman HE 500... Ugh... decisions.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #122 of 192

Quote:
 They are etched to make details sound more obvious.

"Etched?"  What do you mean by this and how is it achieved?

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #124 of 192
It's been elaborated numerous times in this thread already, but likely the #1 reason why the K701s have a high turnover is because they are bought by people who completely do not understand what they're getting into. The generic assumption when one buys an expensive item is instant gratification: as soon as you try out your new toy, you instantly can perceive the value of the item you bought.

Except the K701s never do this, and were never meant to do this.

And thus in their disappointment and misunderstanding of higher-end headphones they form prejudices and attempt to recover from their loss by selling off the headphones and move on.

Of course, anyone who has seriously put effort into selecting a K701 are aware of the hurdles associated taming such a beast, yet also know of the bliss that comes with success.

Though the main reason why the K701s seem to be selected so much on average is likely cosmetic: one has to hand it to the designers, it's probably one of the most appealing headphones to the "general" public outside of the Beats in terms of design and aesthetics. Unfortunately this is a situation where the beautiful maiden hides the horrible maiden within. :wink:

Quote:
Here we go again - 6 posts 9 amps. It's pointless :) Seeing as there are so many different options it almost makes me think that amp is not that big of a deal as long as it has enough power.

The main reason is everyone loves to claim the amp they bought is the one that works best. No one likes to think they made the wrong choice. The problem is many people have never actually tried other amps in comparison besides the sole one they own... which happens to be the one that they advocate works "best" with the K701s. So even though the amp may be adequate at driving the K701s better than stock, they still are unaware of the true synergy that comes with pairing them with an amp that truly befits them.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #125 of 192
I must admit that I'm a bit confused by these headphones.  I would love a pair one day, but just what kind of trouble am I asking for exactly.  The impedance doesn't appear all that high for these cans... or am I missing something here?  What kind of amp would be needed in order to drive these at a good clip?  

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #126 of 192
The 70X are a great way to explore the limits of the pro studio and the hifi audio world. For me is more like a learning process, and a very important one too...I mean what else we do here, except the shopping issue of course.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #127 of 192

Quote:
I must admit that I'm a bit confused by these headphones.  I would love a pair one day, but just what kind of trouble am I asking for exactly.  The impedance doesn't appear all that high for these cans... or am I missing something here?  What kind of amp would be needed in order to drive these at a good clip?  

The Schiit Lyr is an ideal match. Very dynamic and musical, it really compliments the K701 perfectly. I didn't love the Lyr with the orthos I tried it with and wouldn't use it for sensitive headphones or IEMs, but with the K701 wow. These are a fickle headphone and I have tried them with quite a few amps and have never heard them sound better.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #128 of 192
@wind016
Quote:
As for using the K701 with a portable player, I loved my K701 through a Cowon. The integrated BBE enhancements and hardware EQ brought some warmth and bass impact into it which I thought was lacking.

Exactly what I was wondering.  Then get the vst D82  from BBE, and imitate the effects from your cowon on your computer (you could use a vst bridge on foobar for instance).
. If that's all needed to get the lacking "warmth & bass impact", this might be a cheap solution.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #129 of 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurispunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Datin' your mom. What the hell is wrong with you?

Are we talking second base or what ? She's never mentioned you, but then Alzheimers is like that.

'Yer mum' is kinda old. As for the list of things that are wrong with me, we dont have enough room on the board to list them all.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #130 of 192
Quote:
@wind016

Exactly what I was wondering.  Then get the vst D82  from BBE, and imitate the effects from your cowon on your computer (you could use a vst bridge on foobar for instance).
. If that's all needed to get the lacking "warmth & bass impact", this might be a cheap solution.

The D82 is meant for effects. I tried it and the outcome was pretty terrible and nothing like what you would experience with a Cowon. It's unfortunate that the JetAudio player wasn't made better.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #131 of 192

Quote:
The D82 is meant for effects. I tried it and the outcome was pretty terrible and nothing like what you would experience with a Cowon. It's unfortunate that the JetAudio player wasn't made better.

Mmmm ok. I  tried it too, but the result depend a lot of the track.    It's interesting for mastering (especially old recordings);  but perhaps with a low setting, nice for general listening ? The guy dfkt from anythingbutipod.com said he enjoyed  this vst.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #133 of 192

Quote:

The Schiit Lyr is an ideal match. Very dynamic and musical, it really compliments the K701 perfectly. I didn't love the Lyr with the orthos I tried it with and wouldn't use it for sensitive headphones or IEMs, but with the K701 wow. These are a fickle headphone and I have tried them with quite a few amps and have never heard them sound better.

The Lyr is well capable of driving the K702 indeed. I custom-made a 330 Ohms impedance adapter at a local shop to quiten down the hum when plugging in 32 Ohms Alessandro/Grado headphones. I have also plugged the K702 into the impedance adapter and the Lyr still has plenty of power. I never need to turn the volume past 12 o'clock.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #134 of 192
They felt the tops of their heads after wearing them for an extended period of time and found large indentations in the soft tissue of their skulls.  They then realized that AKG was smoking crack up their asses when they designed the headband with those hard little bumps in it.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #135 of 192
Who are "They" ? Are you referring to people with their heads shaved or bald headed people ?

I do have hair so these headbands do not bother me a bit. May I suggest the 1-800-NO-HAIR help line or better yet a wig.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back