Why is everyone trying to get rid of their AKG701?
Jun 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #46 of 192
You know I was just thinking back and one of the main reasons I am in Head-Fi is because of the AKG k701s. I had great headphones and an amp and I was fine. I was walking through a Guitar Center and they were just hanging there. That is how this whole crazy thing started for me. I purchased them then needed an amp. then another amp, then new headphones ect, ect.ect. Come to think about it, my life would have been way different if I had not seen those AKGs.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #47 of 192
@ thread title.

Because they feel plasticky with carpet ear-muffs and sound like your grandfather's headphones.

I did find them exceptionally smooth and good with pop and female vocals I think, but side-by-side to my SA5k's I didn't like the AKG k701 at all, I'd never buy them.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #48 of 192

Quote:
my life would have been way different if I had not seen those AKGs.

Starting with your wallet.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #49 of 192
As far as inexpensive amps go for the K701, I had good luck in the past with small high-gain units such as the Maverick D1 and the Indeed MK2. But the Schiit Lyr is a perfect match for them if it's in your budget, it's like it was voiced just for the K701.

Jun 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #50 of 192

Quote:
As far as inexpensive amps go for the K701, I had good luck in the past with small high-gain units such as the Maverick D1 and the Indeed MK2. But the Schiit Lyr is a perfect match for them if it's in your budget, it's like it was voiced just for the K701.

So Maverick D1, Indeed MK2 and Schiit Lyr. Thanks. I'll have to write these down in case I decide to buy an amp for them.

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #51 of 192

Quote:
I also have two pairs of AKG k701s. This is a big statement when you consider that I only own 4 pair of full size headphones. I spent about a year with them as my main headphones along with my Sony reference set and found even after a year that they are maybe a little shy in the bass dept. The current favorite headphones I own are AH-D 7000 Denon headphones which are heavy on the bass. Even with spending a total year with the k701s I feel they are really, really nice. I can understand why people say they are artificial sounding. If you are not used to them or have not played your pair for a while the sound at first sounds artificial. I do not know why this is except for the fact that they may have a very level EQ curve. If you are used to hearing everything with a v shape EQ curve something which is perfectly correct will sound a little boring and artificial at first listen. After spending time with the k701s an uncolored flat curve world gets to sound correct.

I have to disagree completely with the k701s sounding artificial after you spend time with them. They take a long time to really understand. When I see someone selling theirs I always think somehow they didn't understand them. I'm not a huge fan of open back headphones but I can see why people are into the sound. An open back headphone has a greater feeling of space with in your head space. The color/boxy sound from closed headphones seems to be less. In the end I came to the final thought that some music was great for them. Everyone always talks about classical as being great with them. I still think maybe classical did not sound right. The k701s sounded best with guitar microphone recorded and female vocals. I have not heard a better set of headphones for vocals. Clean recorded electric guitar with a little phase shift and bell sounds are super cool on the k 701s. AKG is now in the process of coming out with a new flagship so we will have to see what changes they will make.http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553944/akg-k550-new The new headphone has a smooth inner headband and is a semi-closed back or full closed back. This may inspire folks to sell what they have.

I think that the reason you see so many for sale is the simple fact that they sold a lot. The price to get into flagship headphone level was fairly inexpensive from the k701 perspective. They are hard to amp right. They will inspire many to get new amps. When you hear them with a low power amp there is this funny effect where you think they may sound perfect with just a little more power. They may not be the best for rock but they do excel with many forms of music.

If you do some reading you may find some folks re-buy the k701s too. People are sometimes missing them.

Still if they end up being not your favorite set of headphones they serve a purpose and are a great addition to a collection. I love to put them on when I have not heard them for a while. There is also a cool thrill when playing dance music through them. In the end I do understand how they can be some folks favorite set of headphones. If it is all you listen to your ears seem to adjust to the level of bass they have. I really like the head space placement of the bass. The bass is in it's own little area which helps you follow it. Like when I used them for a year I slowly become used to the sound.

I've owned my k701's for over 2 years and I mostly concur with Redcarmoose's descriptions.  I'm using a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp, which I think is a great match, but it's not cheap.  One piece of advice I think needs to be passed on to any new k701's owners is that they really need a few hundred hours of break-in playing time before they reach their full potential.  I do find them a little uncomfortable for my over-sized skull, but I haven't found any perfect headphones yet either.

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #56 of 192
In my studio (its a small studio, but probably will help answer your question) we always monitor with closed cans, so the sound gets as little as possible into the recording, we never mix with phones but i guess you already knew that.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #58 of 192
If you have a great amp, the K70x is great.  If not, avoid it.  Its too big and heavy to be used for fun or general purposes in my opinion.  I have no idea why "studio monitors" are so large and oddly shaped in the headband area...its like the absolute opposite of what it should be.  They are usually large, heavy and look like a radar dish when they should be smaller, light and conforming to the head to allow for maximum comfort for all day listening. None of the latter qualities I've listed can be found in the K701 and 2, yet they are still called monitors :\

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #59 of 192
In my limited experience with headphones I've noticed that companies will put "Studio" on just about everything. It's kind of like putting "democracy" in a name of a country. AKG is not the first nor the only one who has done that. 

Quote:
If you have a great amp, the K70x is great.  If not, avoid it.  Its too big and heavy to be used for fun or general purposes in my opinion.  I have no idea why "studio monitors" are so large and oddly shaped in the headband area...its like the absolute opposite of what it should be.  They are usually large, heavy and look like a radar dish when they should be smaller, light and conforming to the head to allow for maximum comfort for all day listening. None of the latter qualities I've listed can be found in the K701 and 2, yet they are still called monitors :\

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #60 of 192
First of all, i want to say i absolutely love my K701s, and i would give my left testicle to keep them even if I have found something better just for the sentimental value of it, it was the first headphone that i really fell in love with after all.
Why people sell off their K701s?

1) Their amps were insufficiently powered (That K-on anime girl powered it with an Ipod)

2) K701 is really REALLY picky with amps, you can have a rather expensive amp and it wouldn't match well (e.g. Concerto for me)
p.s. The Concerto is a wonderful amp, it's really really good, but it just doesn't match with the K701 IMHO.

3) That stupid headband with bumps (curse you AKG, listen to the people and change that abomination)

4) Sounds horrible out of box, needs loads of burn in

5) Lean on bass (mostly when underpowered), not good with rock

Find that very few people in Singapore like AKG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back