Why is everyone trying to get rid of their AKG701?
Jun 10, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #31 of 192

Quote:
Datin' your mom. What the hell is wrong with you?

Touche'.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 192

Quote:
Quote:

First of all, what is it with anime girls?

Second, I know that there are a few haters for each pair of headphones. I didn't create this thread for that. Instead I just wanted to put my obsorvations (namely that people who have something to say about AKG701 usually say something bad and 3 out of 5 people who own 701 want to get rid them) out there and see if they resonate with someone else or just are  a product of my imagination.

Frankly my dear, I do not give a freaking care why. I love my AKG 240. K702, Q701 for what they are.

As the matter of fact , I love all the headphone that I have collected and I still own them even though none of them are without flaws. There are no perfect headphones , no best headphones. It's all about how the person perceive the sound of the cans either with a properly set up system or a poorly one.

Want a huge sound stage than the K 701? Go get some old Apogee centaur. Want a deep and shaking bass? Get HSU subwoofer.

Headphones should sound as headphones as they are imperfect by design. Anything beyond that is just snake-oil or mental masturbation.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #33 of 192
You guys are hilarious.  Me I was wondering what a waifus was.

Quote:
Don't forget the happy few that see them on k-on,  buy them up, and then are hit by incredible disappointment because it puts them no closer to their waifus

Quote:
What's a k-on?

Quote:
Dude, seriously - what have you been doing since February ?

Quote:
Datin' your mom. What the hell is wrong with you?

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #35 of 192

Quote:
You guys are hilarious.  Me I was wondering what a waifus was.

Really?

I figure urban dictionary can do a better job:

"A term coined by Otaku and Weeaboo alike for their 2D significant others; predominantly anime and video game characters. A Waifu, in contrast to a harem, is the love between one man and his one and only Waifu."

Real wimminz is 3D pig disgusting.  
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #37 of 192
Because once you've upgraded from your white Macintosh and iPod they don't match anything. Everything is black and or silver these days so the black Q701 is the obvious choice 
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #38 of 192

Quote:

Really?

I figure urban dictionary can do a better job:

"A term coined by Otaku and Weeaboo alike for their 2D significant others; predominantly anime and video game characters. A Waifu, in contrast to a harem, is the love between one man and his one and only Waifu."

Real wimminz is 3D pig disgusting.  
tongue.gif

The original joke was spawned from Azumanga Daioh. Yet another anime.  Apparently everyone thought the perverted teacher had no wiafu and called bull on him until she showed up one day.  He said, "She's my waifu."

Quote:
Blasphemy.

Nonsense... Just as very good headphones really expensive, perfect headphones are just beyond one's reach. 

And I'll have to keep in mind that the AKG's will need a serious amp to drive them. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #39 of 192
Oh god this thread made me giggle like a little girl.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #40 of 192
Jun 11, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #42 of 192
I also have two pairs of AKG k701s. This is a big statement when you consider that I only own 4 pair of full size headphones. I spent about a year with them as my main headphones along with my Sony reference set and found even after a year that they are maybe a little shy in the bass dept. The current favorite headphones I own are AH-D 7000 Denon headphones which are heavy on the bass. Even with spending a total year with the k701s I feel they are really, really nice. I can understand why people say they are artificial sounding. If you are not used to them or have not played your pair for a while the sound at first sounds artificial. I do not know why this is except for the fact that they may have a very level EQ curve. If you are used to hearing everything with a v shape EQ curve something which is perfectly correct will sound a little boring and artificial at first listen. After spending time with the k701s an uncolored flat curve world gets to sound correct.

I have to disagree completely with the k701s sounding artificial after you spend time with them. They take a long time to really understand. When I see someone selling theirs I always think somehow they didn't understand them. I'm not a huge fan of open back headphones but I can see why people are into the sound. An open back headphone has a greater feeling of space with in your head space. The color/boxy sound from closed headphones seems to be less. In the end I came to the final thought that some music was great for them. Everyone always talks about classical as being great with them. I still think maybe classical did not sound right. The k701s sounded best with guitar microphone recorded and female vocals. I have not heard a better set of headphones for vocals. Clean recorded electric guitar with a little phase shift and bell sounds are super cool on the k 701s. AKG is now in the process of coming out with a new flagship so we will have to see what changes they will make.http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553944/akg-k550-new The new headphone has a smooth inner headband and is a semi-closed back or full closed back. This may inspire folks to sell what they have.

I think that the reason you see so many for sale is the simple fact that they sold a lot. The price to get into flagship headphone level was fairly inexpensive from the k701 perspective. They are hard to amp right. They will inspire many to get new amps. When you hear them with a low power amp there is this funny effect where you think they may sound perfect with just a little more power. They may not be the best for rock but they do excel with many forms of music.

If you do some reading you may find some folks re-buy the k701s too. People are sometimes missing them.

Still if they end up being not your favorite set of headphones they serve a purpose and are a great addition to a collection. I love to put them on when I have not heard them for a while. There is also a cool thrill when playing dance music through them. In the end I do understand how they can be some folks favorite set of headphones. If it is all you listen to your ears seem to adjust to the level of bass they have. I really like the head space placement of the bass. The bass is in it's own little area which helps you follow it. Like when I used them for a year I slowly become used to the sound.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #43 of 192

Quote:
I think that the reason you see so many for sale is the simple fact that they sold a lot. The price to get into flagship headphone level was fairly inexpensive from the k701 perspective. They are hard to amp right. They will inspire many to get new amps. When you hear them with a low power amp there is this funny effect where you think they may sound perfect with just a little more power. They may not be the best for rock but they do excel with many forms of music.

Hello Redcarmoose and other Head-Fi forum members.

I am new to this forum. I recently bought a pair of AKG K702. I am currently using a solid state Graham Slee Novo to amp it. I wonder whether there is a way to tell if the amp is perhaps not powerful enough to drive the K702 to its full capabilities?

I would not mind getting another amp. Possibly solid state. It appears that M-Stage Matrix, Little Dot Mk V and C-2.1 are examples of solid state amps that are around the US300+ price mark for my budget. Would you know if these amps have more capability in terms of power for the K702?

Sincerely, tkteo

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #44 of 192

Quote:
Hello Redcarmoose and other Head-Fi forum members.

I wonder whether there is a way to tell if the amp is perhaps not powerful enough to drive the K702 to its full capabilities?

I would not mind getting another amp. Possibly solid state. It appears that M-Stage Matrix, Little Dot Mk V and C-2.1 are examples of solid state amps that are around the US300+ price mark for my budget. Would you know if these amps have more capability in terms of power for the K702?

Sincerely, tkteo

tkteo, one way to know if your amp is powerful enough to drive the K702 is to compare it to the SPL's or the Luxmans amp.

Jun 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #45 of 192
Well, I ended up getting a Woo 5LE to amp mine. They are said to be amped better with solid state. I am no expert in this regard. I would go to a Head-Fi meet and bring your headphones along. Everybody is really nice so I'm sure they will help you try some amps. What I understand is the k701s show less bass and lower mid level response when under amped. I would think that they may also show more over all authority when amped correctly. There should be specifications out there both for the k701s and the amps you want to try. Normally at Head-fi there is also trends where a group of people with the same musical taste and the same headphones will agree { believe it or not } on the same equipment. You could also make a new thread about your questions and get great responses. I found my phono preamp that way. After I had recommendations here, I searched other internet forums and purchased one sight unseen and unheard from an Audiogon forum post. It all worked out well. I did things a little backwards as after the purchase I did some comparisons. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back