Why have more than a few pairs of headphones?
Apr 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 33
I ride a bike, and hate carrying crap to work and back, so that explains two of my three pairs. I have two over-ear, closed-back sets at home, one for my main rig and another pair works better on my laptop do to impedance. That doesn't mean I want more -- mostly different kinds, like open-back to try them out, a low-impedance travel pair and maybe electrostatic some day. 
Besides, they're smaller than speakers and less scary to collect than other things people in my area collect 
gs1000.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 33
1. Buy new headphone
2. Mod/hype
3. Rediscover whole library
4. Get bored of it
4. Go on Head-fi.org
5. Sell, and read reviews
6. Repeat

Slowly killing my wallet profiting; one can at a time.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #20 of 33
Currently I have 4 headphones.

1. Open Full Size for home listening
2. Closed Full Size at my workplace
3. two IEMs for mobile use. (One of them gets hardly used. Could do without it)

Though I'm always lusting for more.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #21 of 33
q701 at home
q460 on the go
re400,goldring dr150,senn hd202 ii as spares
um miracle coming back to me from repairs soon

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #22 of 33
It just happened one day. One minute its a life of floor standing speakers then next its mainly computer speakers. Suddenly its 2014 and my brother inlaw is telling me how he sees at least fourteen headphones in his view in my living room. That's when I realized I had at least five more stored away in the closet. Thank goodness he didn't see my collection of bookshelf speakers.

As for using all of them its mainly the HiFiMan HE-400 followed by the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and the Audio Technica Ath AD 700 all for gaming, music and movies. A lot of my headphones are open which leads me to use my bookshelf speakers frequently due to a noisy environment. I use some Shure IEM's for when am outside or when I want extreme isolation even the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro cant give me.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 33
I have far too many - a rather expensive addiction.........

And they're coming to take me away ha haaa
They're coming to take me away ha haaa ho ho hee hee
To the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
And they're coming to take me away ha haaa
To the happy home with trees and flowers and chirping birds
And basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes
And they're coming to take me away ha haaa!
 ​

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 33
Apr 22, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #25 of 33
My collection is growing lol i like my gadgets so i get tempted by new headphones also. While I've got 2 pairs of in-ears i find these are used for specific uses, Bose IE2 for early morning podcast listening on the train and my MF EB50's used for music use when i don't have my on-ears with me lol.

Ive got a pair of Marshall Majors (i liked the look) and these are my just chuck in my bag pair. My good listen are my Yamaha Pro500 but the are uncomfy so on my upgrade list.

My Mrs does think i have issues though lol 

May 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 33
The most headphones I've had at once is probably about 4 or 5. I've sold several of my headphones over the past year mainly because I just wasn't listening to them that much. I think I've really found my "desert island" headphone in the SR-009. Chances are though after I while I'll get the bug again to buy new cans, especially with new and better ones coming out all the time.

May 5, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #27 of 33
The thing about headphones is that each type is suited for certain activities better than others, which means that having several pairs available isn’t a bad thing at all…click here if you want to find something new, or especially if you’re into being productive like me and want to have as little friction as possible going from task to task.

May 6, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #28 of 33
Well mine all kinda serve different purposes

Blue MoFi is my portable audiophile overears with built in amp. They make everything fun. They sound gigantic and are the most impactful cans I've had on my head. Closed back doesn't leak sound. I'll probably end up replacing them with the Blue Satellite for noise cancelling and wireless.

Airpods are just always in my pocket. Just like an iPhone camera, sometimes the best camera is the one in your pocket.

1more quad driver is my inexpensive IEM that sounds really great and are as portable and light as it gets. They also isolate pretty decently with comply tips. I use these when the Blue are too cumbersome. Also during workouts sometimes.

Audeze iSine20 are my portable TOTL solution. Just plug in the cipher and I've got a matched DAC/AMP with open back planar sound. They are so incredibly detailed and engaging that it's almost physically arresting. It takes practice to be able to do stuff like clean or work with them. But practice I do.

So ultimately I went super portable for my setup and have a good mix of wired/wireless, over/in & open/closed with 4 sets. I think 4 is probably about the max of useful cans I can use in my rotation before one starts collecting dust.

The airpods and quad drivers come along for workouts. All 4 get used at home & work + fit in my backpack with the laptop.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #29 of 33
For me it was simple. I upgraded everytime
and simply didn't bother selling my old headphones.

It's strictly the Focal Utopia I use nowadays, the rest can be sold off.

Maybe i would keep the HD 650 also since it is my travel headphone that I can just throw in my travel bag which is something I would never do to my more expensive headphones ( sometimes I am in a different country for work ).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #30 of 33
Came across this old post, well kind of feel guilty.

I have 30+ IEMs (price tag from $20usd to $500usd)
Also have 30+ Cans (from $100usd to $600usd).

I listen to diverse variety of music,
Using different IEMs / Cans can bring out the different focus / speciality of each music recordings. It is like cooking.
The methods of cooking makes same set of ingredients taste differently,
Sometimes more fun, more analytical, more immersive.
Another example is using different musical instruments to play the same scores.
Also, with different DAC, AMP, you may want to connect with matching IEMs/ Cans. I have 10+ different DACs /AMPs and 5+ Head-fi Players.

Of course, at varied locations, some ppl prefer different type of IEMs/ Cans.

I did slow down my Head-Fi equipment hunting, I usually have my favourite setup on my desk then change my 2nd Tier setup every week.

I do research and read many reviews so I don’t buy Head-Fi stuff of similar nature / signature / technology.

But, honestly, it is also my greediness. Like man wants to have a harem.

All in all, IEMs/Cans/DAC/AMP is a kind of “Musical Instrument” that enables me to experience music in diverse ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back