Why have more than a few pairs of headphones?
Apr 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

PapaSmurf6768

Head-Fier
Just something I've been thinking about, why do some of you guys have more than a few sets of headphones? For me, I can see having 3 or 4, since I have Grados for music/rock, DT770s for movies and gaming, and I have some Aurisonics Rockets IEMs on the way for on-the-go listening.  But when you start getting up into having 5, 7, even 10 sets, what do you use them for? Do they all get the same kind of use? I feel like having more than one pair serving the same purpose might be pointless, since you're going to like one pair more than the other.

Not hating on those of you with a large collection, just looking for some friendly discussion! 
gs1000.gif

Oh, and I included a poll just to see the average distribution. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 33
I think many people just collect them and many just like to try as many different ones that they can, then sell them and try others.

I can see have as many as you could use, as long as they get head time.

Some people listen to them way more than others.......I usually listen at least a couple hours a day....and more on the weekends.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 33
For different genres and subgenres and for home vs. portable. I don't like keeping too many around if I'm not using them regularly. But I don't see myself pairing it down to under four.

Apr 20, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 33
Gotta Collect em all! LCD2 I choose you!

In all seriousness, some people like to have different sound signatures for different genres or even moods. In my case, I can afford to spend on a fair few different pairs as we own our home - so that takes out a big expense that many have. I like to try out various different models and have them laying around for whenever they tickle my fancy. Not really practical, but what the hey! If you can afford to why not buy what you want, as long as you don't step on the necessities or your boyfriend/spouse. A lot of people will have a portable, home closed, open for home and then usually a different sound signature or two to go with. In my case I listen to Kpop, Pop, EDM, Ambient, Classical, Soundtracks, Metal, Rock, Prog, Jazz, Blues, Punk, Funk, R&B, Rap, and a bit of gaming and movie watching.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 33
I will start off by saying that the poll doesn't mention anything regarding quality of devices. Now that that's out of the way, I bought a dozen cheap Sennheiser ear buds that were on a huge discount a while back for my wife and I to use. This is in addition to my decent set of headphones: HD-600s. My thought was for the price I couldn't go wrong, and I am always misplacing those things. I had a need for basic audio output at multiple locations so $15 for a dozen Sennheiser ear buds was worth it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 33
I will start off by saying that the poll doesn't mention anything regarding quality of devices. Now that that's out of the way, I bought a dozen cheap Sennheiser ear buds that were on a huge discount a while back for my wife and I to use. This is in addition to my decent set of headphones: HD-600s. My thought was for the price I couldn't go wrong, and I am always misplacing those things. I had a need for basic audio output at multiple locations so $15 for a dozen Sennheiser ear buds was worth it.

Yeah this is true, should have added something like "...do you actually listen to" at the end, I have a bunch of cheap pairs of earbuds I could dig up but that doesn't mean I use them,

Thanks for the replies everyone, you're saying just about what I thought.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 33
I try to keep one for commuting on the subway and for the gym and the other for home and office use. I tried to have a dedicated home set but never seemed to listen to them.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 33
I had an inventory of 45 headphones at one point but sold them all eventually as I preferred one over the other. I narrowed it down to a few Grado's, Sennheisser HD650 and HD600, a pair of Denon D5000 and D7000 but when I got my LCD-2's things changed. Now I have one pair of LCD-3's and am satisfied with the one pair but my wife wants me to get a pair of closed headphones so she doesn't hear music late at night or early in the morning. She is not agreeable however to me spending $1500 for a pair of decent closed headphones. I should have kept my Denon D7000's but they were no longer used when I got my LCD-3's.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 33
i musssssst have them...it is a self imposed LUST... to keep me out of  other troubles. :p

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 33
  I had an inventory of 45 headphones at one point but sold them all eventually as I preferred one over the other. I narrowed it down to a few Grado's, Sennheisser HD650 and HD600, a pair of Denon D5000 and D7000 but when I got my LCD-2's things changed. Now I have one pair of LCD-3's and am satisfied with the one pair but my wife wants me to get a pair of closed headphones so she doesn't hear music late at night or early in the morning. She is not agreeable however to me spending $1500 for a pair of decent closed headphones. I should have kept my Denon D7000's but they were no longer used when I got my LCD-3's.

If it helps, I've seen D7000s on FS periodically for ~$750. Or my favorite closed: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-x-vibro-labs/.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 33

I don't think that I need more than 3 headphones (2 IEMs - one for home and one for travel, and 1 full size), but I buy a lot because I want to try different ones and see how they sound. I sell the ones that I don't like, but sometimes I can't decide whether one is better than the other, so I keep both.

Also, I keep some headphones because I've owned them for so long that they aren't worth selling anymore due to wear--my Future Sonics Atrio's cable is held together with electrical tape and zipties.

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 33
for me, originally I liked starting this hobby off and keeping my all time favorites.

but as I progressed, I realized: I just am probably not gonna use them anymore so it made sense to send them to a home for someone else to enjoy. And there's times where the signature just doesn't fit your preferences.

ATM I have 3 headphones.

I only use the he 400 for music because it's a bit heavy.

the ad 700 get used for gaming, and all around.

the mad dogs-I used them for a bit for all around, but since the ad700 is much lighter. I use them strictly for studio monitoring purposes.and for portable too.

Ideally I think what I'll do next is see if the hd650 is for me. And if they are, probably sell off the ad700s and mad dogs. I think I could possibly go over tho for certain situations. I really don't have exercises headphones, I have IEMS....

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 33
I have an on-ear and iem for on the go,three pairs of open back headphones for home use and one pair that I consider a cheap novelty. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back