Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone.
Jan 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:
I have a Q701, what should I get to compliment it?  HD600/650, DT880 or a Grado?

Truth is, no one can properly answer that question for you. They can only give you opinions.

What do you want the second headphone to do? Even brighter? More neutral? More bass?

For example, I like the DT880 as a second headphone as it is (relatively speaking) a darker sounding 'phone.
I think this is really because the Q701 is a bit bright and the DT880 is more neutral.

Much as I lust for a pair of Grados, they are somewhat bright 'phones, but do sound different than Q701s.
So is that a good second 'phone for a Q701 owner? Maybe not.

You can't ask me about the HD650 beacuse I don't like it! I think it is much too dark............
But many folks do like it, so I should not trash it!
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:
Is GS1000i a step above RS1i ?

I've had both ... and you really can't compare the two. Totally different... coming from the RS1's .. the GS1K's will seem thin at first ... super thin, actually, compared to the RS1's thick mids and "in your face" approach.

But then again, take a step back and the GS1K's become way more refined, way more delicate ... they are both Grados .. no doubt about it ... but the GS1K's are far harder to "get right" than are the RS1's ... 

Myself? Since I enjoy classical/chamber/jazz as much as I do indie and rock? I find the GS1K's nearly perfect (but with a tube DAC "MHDT Stockholm" and a tube amp "Ray Sam Raptor" ... solid state didn't work so well with them but that's just me) ... but if I only listened to rock or other "energetic" music? Then the RS1's would be my choice.

The GS1K's need lots of attention to source and amp. The RS1's not nearly so much. Also, I vastly prefer the GS1K's with the (maybe not so well known) "pad mod" .. which lowers the distance between the driver and the ear just ever so much ... this amplifies the  mids a bit (cause the default GS1K is a bit mid recessed) and otherwise sort of brings them closer to the sonics of the RS1's while still retaining the near "spooky" soundstage that makes the GS1K's so nice. I've had the "pad mod" on mine for years and have never looked back. It's actually what convinced me to keep the GS1K's cause at first, I found them too "distant" sounding ... too thin. 

Still want the PS1000's, though ... or at least to hear them. Anyone in Houston,TX have a pair? Lets hook up for a pint and a listen yo!

:wink:

.joel

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #67 of 81
I also have a pair of Grado heaphones which i use occasionally, they are not my main pair of headphones, but damn, i love their sound signature.

At first i just bought the Grado SR80i on a whim to see what the famed "Grado sound" was all about. Then i wanted to return them because i kept hearing "Sss" in my songs (sibilance or something, i'm quite sensitive to it). After i listened to some acoustic rock and songs that don't have such harsh treble, i just couldn't let them go! It definetly is a love'hate relation, meaning i hate them on some songs, but i LOVE them on others.

They are just too good sometimes! People say they are uncomfortable but i can wear them for hours and i have no problem. I think this will be one pair of headphones that i will never part with (or if i do it will only be to upgrade!).

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #68 of 81
comfort issues can be resolved by bending the headband outwards carefully until the clamp lessens. it became from rather uncomfortable to pretty comfortable for me
biggrin.gif
 (not as much as the full size senns though)

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #69 of 81
And I just sold mine.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #71 of 81
Quote:
is it cause its too trebly?

Well, I had a Sr-80i and got a Beyer DT880. I saw nothing wrong with them really. The DT880's just destroyed them. Also, to say, I think that the Grado's aren't comfortable nor are they painful. Just in the middle. I would love to own Magnum V4's some day, but am saving up for a HD800 or LCD2 at the moment(probably LCD-2.)

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #73 of 81
Quote:
Well, I had a Sr-80i and got a Beyer DT880. I saw nothing wrong with them really. The DT880's just destroyed them. Also, to say, I think that the Grado's aren't comfortable nor are they painful. Just in the middle. I would love to own Magnum V4's some day, but am saving up for a HD800 or LCD2 at the moment(probably LCD-2.)

ah i see, well this is the case of its simply a much better headphone then.
biggrin.gif

@AUDIBREEDER
well the lower end grados look quite plain to me and i don't particularly like it but the ones with metal look much nicer, though i mostly prefer the looks of senn,beyer,shure, and ath over the grados

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #74 of 81
Quote:
Quote:

ah i see, well this is the case of its simply a much better headphone then.
biggrin.gif

@AUDIBREEDER
well the lower end grados look quite plain to me and i don't particularly like it but the ones with metal look much nicer, though i mostly prefer the looks of senn,beyer,shure, and ath over the grados

Yep, also to AUDIBREEDER, I love the looks of the Grado's, very retro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back