Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone.
Jan 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #31 of 81
That combo is probably one of the few things that do justify some hype here, as its one of the relatively few products (that qualify as high-end) out there to be developed without self-delusion as a large part of the design process. And it's not so much the product itself I'd like hyped, it's the philosophy behind the design. I think many of us are OK with paying a few hundred bucks or more for really nice enclosures and nice-to-have features which aren't a central part of the audio performance. But to sell crap in nice cases is all too common around here.

Crap in nice cases......like the Grado headphone amp?
Really not a bad amp, but you are mostly paying for the cute little woody case.

As for the design process, really hard to say what other manufacturer's are thinking when they design something, but I sincerely doubt that even half of them are deluded. I'm sure most of them are quite sincere. But there seems to me a small minority who may be borderline competent.

Try the SR80i on an iDevice with Audyssey's amp app and their SR80i EQ. It's everything I love about the Grados without the stuff I don't. Scary good.

Hey man, thanks for the tip! I may not need a pair of RS-2i.........or maybe I will anyway. :D

What are we going to do about J-Lo? :mad:

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #33 of 81
No better time than the now! :wink:

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 81
I'm already broke from buying both the AKG K167 and the Beyerdynamic DT770 32ohm LE.

What more do you want from me, Head-Fi? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #38 of 81
Jan 13, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #40 of 81
On the contrary, i find no discomfort with Grados.. but then again i have the worlds smallest head. HD650s on the smallest setting are only just about small enough.
The built quality can be very hit and miss, i agree, i believe it to be fine to have that build quality with its prestige line.. but anything above the SR325is really should be kicked up a notch build quality wise.
That said, i do think the design is beautiful. RS2i is the best looking headphone EVER imo.

opinions..opinions..

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #41 of 81
Quote:
Is RS1i worth getting ?  Brand new ones are selling for less than $600.  

I would say so. I currently have the SR225i and this is the only headphone that I haven't sold yet... It just sounds so different than other headphones that it's almost an addiction. However, after listening to the RS1i, I think I need to move on and finally let my 225i go. The RS1i shall be my final Grado as it's my favorite.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #42 of 81
I loved my RS1, sold it when I got hooked on plannar... But I can defo see me having another in the future.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #43 of 81
i enjoyed my 325is when i had my hd 650s and 990s, eventually i sold it because i bought an RS1i. i loved it for a long time and never thought i'd sell it. however, after buying my T1, i started using them less and less, and while i do miss them, i don't think i'll rebuy them, ill probably just go for the PS1000 sometime in the future.

its always nice to have a pair of grados laying around though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #44 of 81
I will consider the RS1i when Grado makes a new version with better comfort. Those Labtec headsets at my office have as much comfort as the RS1i and cost 35 times less. I could care less about how good it sounds, no comfort => no buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back