why don't (some) people shipped worldwide? :(
Oct 11, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My location is definitely the big problem....
frown.gif
anyway, i once purchased a vintage receiver, 12kg, shipped from US using ground, it took 3 month to reach my place, boy am i happy....i thought i lost them for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, if you have friend in Singapore, it will be a lot easier since shipping to Singapore is much cheaper than to Indonesia. Singaporean customs & postal service are also a lot better than Indonesia, well I guess it's no secret how bad are Indonesian custom & postal office is.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no! 60 seconds of paperwork! I don't know if I can move my hands that much!

No, much more than that
mad.gif

You also have to drive to the post office & wait in line to send the package.

You can't buy 1st class international postage on line, only very expensive express shipping is available, and even that takes up time to complete.

In fact, international shipping takes up so much of my time that I can't do it during lunch break and still have time to get something to eat.

I finally had to tell my overseas buyers that I will ship once a week on Saturdays. I'll do it, but they have to wait a bit.
Most are OK with that.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally had to tell my overseas buyers that I will ship once a week on Saturdays. I'll do it, but they have to wait a bit.
Most are OK with that.

that is much better than no overseas shipping at all, i really appreciate it that you're patient enough to take care of all the administration process, so i guess it's different procedures for different people on different place, since Sachu requires additional 5 minutes for international paperwork

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you have friend in Singapore, it will be a lot easier since shipping to Singapore is much cheaper than to Indonesia. Singaporean customs & postal service are also a lot better than Indonesia, well I guess it's no secret how bad are Indonesian custom & postal office is.

that is also an option, but that would mean paying shipment twice, and could be even more expensive than direct shipment to Indonesia, although i agree that shipment to Singapore should be safe (unfortunately i dont have a close friends in singapore). I think it would be even better to have a good friend in US and Europe
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #20 of 64
Customs makes me nervous. I have no problem shipping worldwide, but at the same time I'm not going to be liable for customs either confiscating or fining the buyer. It's a risk on the buyer because they may not get the item or have to pay a big fee. It's a risk on the seller because if the item gets lost or confiscated by customs, it could mean a big ugly negative feedback on the forums (or a Paypal dispute)

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Customs makes me nervous. I have no problem shipping worldwide, but at the same time I'm not going to be liable for customs either confiscating or fining the buyer. It's a risk on the buyer because they may not get the item or have to pay a big fee. It's a risk on the seller because if the item gets lost or confiscated by customs, it could mean a big ugly negative feedback on the forums (or a Paypal dispute)

Yeah, but you agree in advance. A written agreement of some sort can be negotiated and liabilities set out. All extra fees are on the buyer and if they want to underdeclare it, it's their problem if something happens. I can only provide photographic evidence that I have sent it and also a proof of postage.

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #22 of 64
The reason why? The extra hassel and expense.

Generally it requires going to the Post Office, or shipper twice. Once to get an estimate of the shipping costs to provide the buyer, & the second time to actually send the item. Generally when the buyer finds out the additional costs involved he/she wants the buyer to absorb some of it. As as person who works regular business hours, it's not easy to get to the post office for all of this. The 30 seconds of paperwork, spoken of above might be that, if you are experienced at filling it out, but might be 30 minutes if you haven't done it before, or do it infrequently. Helpful post office advice is not always easy to come by. Then you have to worry for the next couple of weeks whether the package will actually get there and in what condition, while to buyer keeps asking when it will arrive and starts to doubt whether it was actually shipped not?

When you consider there are generally many willing domestic buyers at hand and all of this can be avoided, why bother?

I hope this helps to shed some light on why many do not want to ship internationally.

- augustwest

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #23 of 64
Expenses and the additional paper work I guess...
I for one don't see the problem, since the buyer usually cover the shipping costs. And the additional paper work (at least in our country) means 30-60 seconds of work. Filling in package content, value and a signature

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this helps to shed some light on why many do not want to ship internationally.

- augustwest

Point taken, maybe if i'm in your position i'll make the same decision.

For some people the hassle is too much, for some, it's really not that hard, i'm just happy that some people still willing to ship overseas.

I agree with Milkpowder that before the buyer and seller make the deal they should reach an agreement about the risk, etc etc..

I'm just curious, if the item do get lost or broken, and the item is insuranced, is it hard to claim them?

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 64
hopefully prospective sellers may read this

shipping to australia is quite safe! we're a not so corrupt country and anything under AUD$1000 gets through customs without a problem. to date I've had nothing lost in the mail from USA or anywhere in the world

I've had countless sellers turn down deals many times even when I agree to pay all shipping fees and their asking price no haggling! Some sellers caved in after continued begging on my part and willingness to pay the original asking price after several price drops!

reason is so many things in Aus are marked up outrageously eg. atm I'm wanting to buy an E-MU 0404 USB. Common price on head-fi atm is USD$150, new it's no more than USD$200. The retail price here in Australia is AUD$599 (~USD$540) is just one example - http://www.velvetsystems.com/E-MU.0404.USB.2.0.cfm

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopefully prospective sellers may read this

shipping to australia is quite safe! we're a not so corrupt country and anything under AUD$1000 gets through customs without a problem. to date I've had nothing lost in the mail from USA or anywhere in the world

I completely concur with this. I have not had anything go missing either. The stories I read on Head-Fi make me think that domestic shipping within the USA is much riskier than shipping to Australia!

cheers
Simon

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely concur with this. I have not had anything go missing either. The stories I read on Head-Fi make me think that domestic shipping within the USA is much riskier than shipping to Australia!

cheers
Simon

in all my years of shipping within the U.S. (hundreds of items), i have never had something not arrive.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 64
I have tried... 66% of my transactions were stolen or partially stolen by customs.
confused.gif
Either US or foreign customs... I can't tell. Either way I got scammed by customs. ALL were poorly re-packaged. One time I just got an empty box. All transactions were with honorable sellers/buyers, so I do not suspect scamming.

I have given it a fair shot. Now I only deal with domestic transactions, not worth the headache.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in all my years of shipping within the U.S. (hundreds of items), i have never had something not arrive.

I have had a bad time with USPS once and so has my room mate. His package was supposedly 'delivered'(at 4Am!!
eek.gif
) He lost 300$(A sony digicam).

I got an item(CD player) shipped from California via USPS and it arrived badly damaged. Thankfully, i was able to restore it, albeit a few scratches and one dent prevailed.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you consider there are generally many willing domestic buyers at hand and all of this can be avoided, why bother?

Well put. This is precisely why I don't ship abroad.

For example, when I was selling my custom Grado leather headbands, I certainly did not have a shortage of willing buyers. Why should I bother sending one to some dude overseas when I already had 10 other willing domestic buyers in line. I was tempted to hike up the price for overseas buyers to make it worth the extra effort, but this would not be right (kind of bait and switch).

I like to use the convenient automated drop box machine at the post office to avoid the typically long lines at my local post office. I don't think the machine can process international shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back