why don't (some) people shipped worldwide? :(
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to ship out a package overseas. IMO it is not a cheap item, being a LaRocco PRII MkII w/ a 24V regulated PSU. The buyer specifically asked for me to declared a lower value for the contents ($80).

On multiple PM's I explained to the buyer that I could not be held responsible should something happen, specially since I can not insure the item for its actual price since he asked me to declare an $80 value and post it as a gift.

I understand that import duty taxes are quite high in some jurisdictions. However he is running a major risk by choosing to have it shipped at an $80 dollar value. I almost forgot, he said no insurance!

The payment came through yesterday but I explained to the buyer that I could not ship it till tomorrow. I certainly hope nothing bad happens to the amp.

Regardless the costs are higher, there are more forms, and since it goes through customs (twice) it takes a very long time to arrive at its destination. Of course I worry while it is in transit.

That was huge risk you took Miguel

$80 was to under priced for the product and in case if its lost and the buyer just refuses then paypal would deifntley be on his side whatever the reaosn may be.

But being a non US based head fier I really appreciate what you did at your own risk.,Most guys would have no way sold to an overseas buyer and definelty not underpricng it by suhc a huge margin

Well I am base din india and have order for a couple fo stuff nit hi-fi though.The only only (touch wood)I had till now is that it takes ages and ages to reach me,stuck at customs ofcourse.

Got an idea.

What dont we have equipment shipped to show it as a replacement (if it brand new)fior a defective product purhcased beofre and incase of use stuff show as as equipment sent for repair being sent back.
I am sure this might help us dodge customs.

another tot that came to my mind,so much for a global economy that these politicians keep harping abt, here we are **** scared to send even lil friendly amps and heaphones to each other and they talking about nuclear technology engagement between countries lol hahha
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

$80 was to under priced for the product and in case if its lost and the buyer just refuses then paypal would deifntley be on his side whatever the reaosn may be.

(...)

here we are **** scared to send even lil friendly amps and heaphones to each other and they talking about nuclear technology engagement between countries lol hahha
wink.gif

Listen Dr. Strangelove....
icon10.gif

Where you see a Paypal potential risk from an angry buyer, I see a buyer backing up after being showned his own e-mails/Pms in which he asked in explicit terms to lower the value of the item. I think the PayPal people are not that naive.....
wink.gif

Amicalement

Link to this thread? I just got a vintage tuner (and I must say a kicking but looking tuner) from across my border. This was, as usual, a fantastic US/Canada transaction.....
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 64
I think all this business of undervaluing is one of the reasons people are so reticent to ship outside their own country. Quite simply, it's illegal, and no reputable seller should be doing it. It puts both parties at risk, increases a great deal the chance of customs confiscating the package or holding it requesting proof of value, etc.

The main deterrant for a buyer is the fact that many shippers in the US seem to love UPS, for whatever reason. UPS's brokerage fees are absolutely ludicrous compared to other companies - it's usually a minimum of 20% the value of the package for small amounts. I'm sure that sellers often get blamed for this and get bad feedback as these charges are pretty much hidden from both the seller and the buyer - and UPS will not relinquish the package unless you pay COD. It's extortion.

USPS and even FedEx are much more reasonable, but almost nobody uses it.

It's a real pain living in Canada, I've pretty much given up on trying to buy things from Americans because of their love of UPS. I understand going to the post office is a pain in the ass, but I'd even be willing to pay the buyer an extra $5 or something for their time filing the paperwork. USPS will save me anywhere from $20-$100, even ignoring the tax that I have no problem paying.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajsaxin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But being a non US based head fier I really appreciate what you did at your own risk.,Most guys would have no way sold to an overseas buyer and definelty not underpricng it by suhc a huge margin

Well I am base din india and have order for a couple fo stuff nit hi-fi though.The only only (touch wood)I had till now is that it takes ages and ages to reach me,stuck at customs ofcourse.

Got an idea.

What dont we have equipment shipped to show it as a replacement (if it brand new)fior a defective product purhcased beofre and incase of use stuff show as as equipment sent for repair being sent back.
I am sure this might help us dodge customs.

another tot that came to my mind,so much for a global economy that these politicians keep harping abt, here we are **** scared to send even lil friendly amps and heaphones to each other and they talking about nuclear technology engagement between countries lol hahha
wink.gif

I certainly do not expect that to happen. If it does it will be the last time I ship anything overseas.

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think all this business of undervaluing is one of the reasons people are so reticent to ship outside their own country. Quite simply, it's illegal, and no reputable seller should be doing it. It puts both parties at risk, increases a great deal the chance of customs confiscating the package or holding it requesting proof of value, etc.

This observation on a potential danger is valid only in case you are selling/bying new items. If I ask a US friend to shipp me a $500 Newegg HD and mark it as a $10 item, yes there is a risk....
wink.gif

But in the used marked, our customs dont have the ressources/competence to question the value of an item sold between two ordinary individuals.

Have a good weekend guys.

Amicalement

EDIT: GO!!! Miguel GO!!!!....:)

Oct 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USPS and even FedEx are much more reasonable, but almost nobody uses it.

It's a real pain living in Canada, I've pretty much given up on trying to buy things from Americans because of their love of UPS. I understand going to the post office is a pain in the ass, but I'd even be willing to pay the buyer an extra $5 or something for their time filing the paperwork. USPS will save me anywhere from $20-$100, even ignoring the tax that I have no problem paying.

I've never had anyone insist on UPS, at least not yet

But I agree, at least to Australia, USPS is the bomb diggity!!!

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll ship out of the US if the buyers willing to pay for full insurance coverage and have a confirmed paypal address.

Most of the time, the buyers back off, simply because they don't want to pay duty, or import taxes.

I believe the main reason is the greatly increased shipping charges. Import charges, in Australia, will only hit with high-priced items (AUD$1000 IIRC).

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the main reason is the greatly increased shipping charges. Import charges, in Australia, will only hit with high-priced items (AUD$1000 IIRC).

AUD$1000 is correct

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #57 of 64
Just got confirmation from USPS as well as from the headfi memeber that the package to Norway has been received. Everything is a-okay.

Sent the package out through USPS Express Mail Service(6 days estimated delivery time).

Here is the progress of the package..a Bel Canto DAC2.

Delivered Abroad, October 16, 2007, 12:03 pm, NORWAY
Out of Foreign Customs, October 13, 2007, 12:27 pm, NORWAY
International Dispatch, October 10, 2007, 11:42 pm, SAN FRANCISCO
Processed, October 10, 2007, 11:42 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94128
Processed, October 09, 2007, 7:05 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97238
Acceptance, October 09, 2007, 3:32 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97201
Electronic Shipping Info Received, October 08, 2007

6 days is all it took!. USPS rocks!.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #58 of 64
that's nice to hear, i hope you won;t hesitate to ship overseas again
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got confirmation from USPS as well as from the headfi memeber that the package to Norway has been received. Everything is a-okay.

Sent the package out through USPS Express Mail Service(6 days estimated delivery time).

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I sent a HD-580 package to a US-based member a few years back. It took only 3 days to reach him. From Australia. On regular parcel.

Try beating that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #60 of 64
I keep sending letters to Santa Claus every Christmas, apparently he never received any single letter since I've never had a reply. I know North Pole is a bit far, but c'mon...
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back