why don't (some) people shipped worldwide? :(
Oct 11, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it because they lost the item that they send? complicated paperwork compare to local shipment?

why?

There ya go.

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 64
International shipping is complicated because,

1> Generally, The buyer would want the seller to under invoice the item and declare it as a gift. This means, you will not be able to insure the item for its value for your own security. Some deals would not go through as the buyer insists that the item be under invoiced.

2>Shipping international is always a problem. It is bad enough that you can lose your own luggage these days, imagine how much easier it must be for packages to get lost.

3> Customs: 99% of them are crooks (always nice to have hope that there is some decency here as well) ..or atleast from what i have experienced at least.
Your package might end up getting stolen, held up or worse damaged(insurance claim would be tougher).

4> Paperwork is extra for sure. But not by too much. A couple or more forms to fill out ..another 4 mins perhaps of your time

5>Postage: can be expensive depending on weight and carrier.

I am sure i have missed points that more experienced members can fill in .

Sachu

p.s: Right now, i got a package on its way to Norway. Keeping my fingers crossed.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
International shipping is complicated because,

1> Generally, The buyer would want the seller to under invoice the item and declare it as a gift. This means, you will not be able to insure the item for its value for your own security. Some deals would not go through as the buyer insists that the item be under invoiced.

2>Shipping international is always a problem. It is bad enough that you can lose your own luggage these days, imagine how much easier it must be for packages to get lost.

3> Customs: 99% of them are crooks (always nice to have hope that there is some decency here as well) ..or atleast from what i have experienced at least.
Your package might end up getting stolen, held up or worse damaged(insurance claim would be tougher).

4> Paperwork is extra for sure. But not by too much. A couple or more forms to fill out ..another 4 mins perhaps of your time

5>Postage: can be expensive depending on weight and carrier.

I am sure i have missed points that more experienced members can fill in .

Sachu

p.s: Right now, i got a package on its way to Norway. Keeping my fingers crossed.
rolleyes.gif

i'm not sure what no.1 meant, why would people want their item to be declared as a gift? to avoid tax payment?

as for no.3, i understand that there are really no guarantee for customs.

is it hard to claim insurance should the item is missing?

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 64
Yes. The buyer would generally be imposed a certain percentage of the declared value of the item being imported.
I only know the import duties levied in India, and it is around 30%.
So the request is understandable. Especially with the dollar being so weak, it is advantageous for people in Europe and even India to get stuff from US for a much cheaper price. The gamble is however, the shipping and the customs fees.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 64
Your particular location is also the problem.

I personally have no issues with sending things overseas (as long as the other party has enough credibility/feedback and/or things look fine). I do have reservations on sending things to certain countries however, including Indonesia. I can always use DHL/Fedex/UPS but shipping price becomes unreasonably high.

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your particular location is also the problem.

My location is definitely the big problem....
frown.gif
anyway, i once purchased a vintage receiver, 12kg, shipped from US using ground, it took 3 month to reach my place, boy am i happy....i thought i lost them for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 64
It would be best if you have friends in other countries (where valuable parcels have better likelihood of arriving) and enlist their help in getting the items you want. Of course, they have to make the trip back to Indonesia to pass the item to you (or you fly to them), which is usually when one of the parties go on holiday.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My location is definitely the big problem....
frown.gif
anyway, i once purchased a vintage receiver, 12kg, shipped from US using ground, it took 3 month to reach my place, boy am i happy....i thought i lost them for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

3 months.
blink.gif

i'm happy for you that it arrived.
smily_headphones1.gif
i do feel for our head-fi friends in other countries, since i know it is not so easy sometimes to acquire headphones and other gear, but shipping overseas is probably one of the least fun things i have done. and who is to bear the loss if something goes wrong - item is lost, stolen, or damaged. if the buyer gladly would, then maybe more people would ship overseas, but if the seller must bear some, then why even take the risk. they won't. and will just stay within the states where shipping is more reliable.

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #13 of 64
oh well, no easy solution here, i guess it depends on personal preferences of each person.

Hey look! i finally reached my 50 post, now i can post on the FS forum, hopefully someone will shipped to my crib
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 64
International is just more of a hassle, more trouble and usually requires more work on your end, that's why it's less preferable.
As for me, shipping outside the EU has very unfavorable shipping conditions imposed on by the national postal service here.

They won't allow you to insure anything for more than €130 or so, good luck shipping an $1000 amp safely with that.
tongue.gif

Inside vs outside EU generally costs around €20-30 extra also here, which means more to pay for you, or I have to put a higher asking price which means less interest.

Shipping time drastically varies also, inside EU things usually arrive within 2-3 days, while a package to US generally takes 2-3 weeks, up to never; not pleasant for both you and the buyer.
Every time I ship outside EU I feel like it's a gamble.
Inside EU goods are more expensive because of VAT also, so shipping outside doesn't make much sense, but just for the few reasons above it's much easier for us Europeans to keep our dealings in EU, just like the "CONUS only" thing.
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 64
yeah, i understand the situation, i turn down couple of deals myself just because the shipping is just to expensive it's ridiculous.

But sometimes they're pretty reasonable enough (at least the last time i bought a phones from ebay which is like....10 month ago), i bought koss pro4aat from ebay for $60 ($36 for the phones and $24 for shipping) which is totally better then buying new for $125 here in Indonesia.

I also felt like gambling every time i bought something from overseas....but that's just the risk that i have to take if i want to find a nice phones which just doesnt exist on my country
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back