Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Jun 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #32 of 242
Agree with Nicholars - I bought mine after reading the reviews here - I listened to them, liked the sound and then bought them. Design is always very subjective - so it's down to the eye of teh beholder. I use mine every evening and I'm happy with them. And I have a pair of Momentum's...earpads are too small - hence the D7100 purchase. Both have weak / strong points.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #33 of 242
Quote:
The D600 are priced at $388 on amazon.com.  Where can you get them for cheaper?

http://fumfie.com/product/122.58/ah_d600-_Denon_Music_Maniac_AH_D600_Over_Ear_Headphones_AHD600_-/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00858I4F2/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=refurbished&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

or Used...

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #34 of 242
Quote:

http://fumfie.com/product/122.58/ah_d600-_Denon_Music_Maniac_AH_D600_Over_Ear_Headphones_AHD600_-/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00858I4F2/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_refurbished?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=refurbished&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

or Used...

Interesting ... I still think the DT880 are the best bang for the buck.  I've seen them as low as $180 used and $230 like-new.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #35 of 242
Just found this thread. 

I love them.

I have D2K's, a D7K on the way and I'll keep them all.  They work for me.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #36 of 242
Quote:
Interesting ... I still think the DT880 are the best bang for the buck.  I've seen them as low as $180 used and $230 like-new.

How are the DT880 with electronic music? I have always meant to give them a try (DT880 600ohm) but I always end up getting something else because of the big treble spike / sibilance and reports on not much bass. Might try them at some point because they get a lot of good feedback.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #37 of 242
Quote:
Just found this thread. 

I love them.

I have D2K's, a D7K on the way and I'll keep them all.  They work for me.

I am more inclined to listen to people like you, people who actually own the headphones and have other good headphones to compare them with. It seems from what I have read that they get mostly good reports, although it is a bit odd that some people seem to think they are bad, mostly people who have not actually heard them / only look at measurements or were expecting an improvement over the D5000 maybe. Ah well anyway I will make my own mind up about them and report back.
popcorn.gif

Not sure what other options are available to me anymore because I have tried most headphones under £250 which is my limit at the moment, I think if I don't like the D600 I will just keep the logitech UE6000 until I can afford something high end.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #38 of 242
Quote:
The D600 are priced at $388 on amazon.com.  Where can you get them for cheaper?

I paid $239 "refurb/open box" on Amazon, had all accessories and looked brand new.   Look at the used section - I just found one at $252 and $285. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #39 of 242
Quote:

I am more inclined to listen to people like you, people who actually own the headphones and have other good headphones to compare them with. It seems from what I have read that they get mostly good reports, although it is a bit odd that some people seem to think they are bad, mostly people who have not actually heard them / only look at measurements or were expecting an improvement over the D5000 maybe. Ah well anyway I will make my own mind up about them and report back.
popcorn.gif

Not sure what other options are available to me anymore because I have tried most headphones under £250 which is my limit at the moment, I think if I don't like the D600 I will just keep the logitech UE6000 until I can afford something high end.

I honestly will be surprised if you don't like them. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #41 of 242
I swear I saw one in the FS section about a month ago for $200, I tried to get it, but was too late

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #42 of 242
I got mine open box for $250 from Amazon Warehouse. 

Personally, I do prefer my Mad Dogs to the D600.  But the MDs require a lot of power.  Not just an amp, but a powerful one, to get the most from them.  And I did not like the cable options so shelled out extra to get them recabled.  The D600s are much easier to drive, and even sound decent straight from my iPhone.  And the D600s come with an iPhone compatible mic/control cable that works great, so I can use them for conference calls.  Comfort wise, the D600s and Mad Dogs with alpha dog pads are equally my most comfortable full size headphones.  And that is not for nothing.  I love my Grado 325s, but can barely stand to wear them no matter what pad I try.

Look, I think the D600s have their strengths and weaknesses.  But I definitely prefer them to the D2000, which I never liked.  The D600s are a good all-around, mulit-use closed headphone that is a good value if you can get it for around $300.  I don't think it's the greatest headphone out there (not sure yet what is), but it's a solid performer that I think has been unduly maligned by people who were unhappy about the discontinuation of the D2000/7000. 

As for the great "chart" controversy, I am a holistic headphone fan.  I go for what sounds good from a variety of reviews, and then I keep what I end up personally liking.  And even then, often what I like will only work well for some of the genres of music I enjoy.  And sometimes a headphone I loved last year becomes one I am looking to sell a year later.  The don't call them *head*phones for nothing.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #43 of 242
I am more interested in basic things like having a frequency response which matches my preferences, comfort, good soundstage, no major flaws or missing frequencies etc. I am not really expecting reference performance, or even headphones that beat the D5000, just fun sounding headphones with good quality and that work OK with games as well, also the D5000 were £370 when they were about and still go on ebay for around £400..... The D600 cost me £230... So I hope that they beat the D2000 for the money but the D5000 cost almost twice the price.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #44 of 242
Considering they aren't meant to be neutral, I think they're decent for the used price of $250. But I did find a bit of a problem with the dryness of the mids relative to its bass. I'm way too used to hearing warm or veiled mids with bassy headphones, so a headphone with somewhat upfront, but cold mids weirded me out and I couldn't really adjust to them. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #45 of 242
Quote:
I am more interested in basic things like having a frequency response which matches my preferences, comfort, good soundstage, no major flaws or missing frequencies etc. I am not really expecting reference performance, or even headphones that beat the D5000, just fun sounding headphones with good quality and that work OK with games as well, also the D5000 were £370 when they were about and still go on ebay for around £400..... The D600 cost me £230... So I hope that they beat the D2000 for the money but the D5000 cost almost twice the price.

Then I think you're a perfect candidate to enjoy these headphones. One thing I've learned on headfi is that other peoples' impressions of headphones merely give a rough idea of what to expect (in regards to whether you'll like them or not), and should be taken with a tablespoon of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back