Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #61 of 242
Can't make my mind up about these, when I first got them I was underwhelmed, I have burned them in most of today and they do sound pretty good now, slightly odd sounding...

I think if I paid £400 for them then they would be going back to the shop, but at the price I paid I might keep them, I think they are actually good all rounders, seem to sound good with most genres, the bass was bad at first but it has changed a lot, also they sound quite smooth now, probably the biggest change I have ever witnessed with a pair of headphones in one days burn in, they sound a lot different to when I first put them on, anyone else notice such a big change with these after burn in? Do they get better after more hours?

They do seem well made and also extremely comfortable, they look and feel more expensive than the amount I paid, I actually like the look of them as well now I have seen them in real life, not as nice as D5000 or D7000 but better than the D2000.

They do make the Momentums seem a bit small and puny both in size and also the size of the sound... The D600 sound pretty epic with stuff like the dark knight rises soundtrack. Big bass, big soundstage, good imaging and treble.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #62 of 242
You've probably never owned a brand new Sony IEM - those have made me expect dramatic changes in sound during the first hour of burn in for any headphone. Out of the box Sony's are literally painful to lsiten to but the treble settles down within the first hour or the first few hours at most.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #63 of 242
Quote:
You've probably never owned a brand new Sony IEM - those have made me expect dramatic changes in sound during the first hour of burn in for any headphone. Out of the box Sony's are literally painful to lsiten to but the treble settles down within the first hour or the first few hours at most.

Yes out of the box the bass was literally bad and the treble was horribly sharp, about 8 hours using them and they sound like different headphones, never heard such a big change before.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #64 of 242
Quote:

Yes out of the box the bass was literally bad and the treble was horribly sharp, about 8 hours using them and they sound like different headphones, never heard such a big change before.

Keep burning them bud.  Overnight put them on a little higher volume than you listen to and put a pillow between them so you won't keep anyone awake. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #65 of 242
The UE6000 being better than the D600 is a laughable joke. My old D600 sounded pretty decent right out of the box. I've never believed in burn-in but maybe you should do that to see if it helps.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #66 of 242
Quote:
The UE6000 being better than the D600 is a laughable joke. My old D600 sounded pretty decent right out of the box. I've never believed in burn-in but maybe you should do that to see if it helps.

Not that the UE6000 are technically better, just comparing them for value and general usability at the prices I paid... UE6000 cost me £100 and D600 cost me £230. Obviously the D600 are technically Superior headphones, but I am not currently sure if I like them enough to keep them or just keep the UE6000 and Momentums until I can afford something like the HE-500. Not sure if I should keep the UE6000, Momentum or the D600 at the moment, they all have good and bad points as well as cost obviously. If the Momentums were not so damn small with a puny soundstage then I would probably like them more, but comparing the Momentums and the D600, the D600 sounds massive compared to them and the soundstage is a lot better.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #67 of 242
I'd scrap the Momentum if I were you TBH. I had all three of them albeit not at the same time, and I agree the 6000 is a fantastic value. Momentum was the worst of the bunch for me, sub-par comfort and closed-in sound. I've decided to ditch the Momentum and get the 6000. There were quite a few lemon 6000's when it first came out that's why I didn't get it earlier, fortunately mine has no issues so far. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #68 of 242
Quote:
I'd scrap the Momentum if I were you TBH. I had all three of them albeit not at the same time, and I agree the 6000 is a fantastic value. Momentum was the worst of the bunch for me, sub-par comfort and closed-in sound. I've decided to ditch the Momentum and get the 6000. There were quite a few lemon 6000's when it first came out that's why I didn't get it earlier, fortunately mine has no issues so far. 

Considering that Sennheieser are usually known for making headphones with an excellent sound stage I don't know what they were playing at with the Momentums, they have made a really nice sounding headphone but pretty much spoiled it by making it 30% too small and having a closed in sound with no soundstage. Other than the soundstage and cup size they are really good...... They could have made the cups 30% bigger and made them foldable and they would have been just as portable... Anyway I am still deciding if the D600 are worth the Money. When changing from the Momentums to the D600 or even UE6000 the soundstage difference is very obvious.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #69 of 242
I do not see what is so difficult about just releasing a good all rounder pair of headphones at about £200.

They always have something seriously wrong with them, the only headphones I have tried which do not have any obvious faults are the UE6000, and they are not exactly amazing sound quality, just decent and do not do much wrong.

The D600 have excellent comfort and soundstage, good bass, the mids are OK and the treble sounds too harsh and not natural to me.

This headphone thing is getting ridiculous now I have owned about 20 pairs.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #70 of 242
Quote:
I do not see what is so difficult about just releasing a good all rounder pair of headphones at about £200.

They always have something seriously wrong with them, the only headphones I have tried which do not have any obvious faults are the UE6000, and they are not exactly amazing sound quality, just decent and do not do much wrong.

The D600 have excellent comfort and soundstage, good bass, the mids are OK and the treble sounds too harsh to me.

This headphone thing is getting ridiculous now I have owned about 20 pairs.

£200 approx $310 --> https://www.mrspeakers.com/MrSpeakers-Mad-Dog-Alpha-Pad

:p

You will just be lacking bass slam and a bit of narrow soundstage (noticeable when playing Metal...).

And just 20 pairs?!? Come on, you are not even trying!!! LOL :wink:

Why don't you just jump to the upper echelon instead?
(i.e. get an Ultrasone Signature DJ or Fostex TH-600 and see if you like it...)

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #71 of 242
Quote:

Why don't you just jump to the upper echelon instead?
(i.e. get an Ultrasone Signature DJ or Fostex TH-600 and see if you like it...)

This is exactly what I want to do because I expect that these would actually satisfy me for sound quality, slight problem though, they cost like £700+ !

I am seriously thinking of just keeping the UE6000 and saving up until I can get a proper pair of headphones such as the Fostex or the HE-500. All of this messing about at the £100-£300 mark is starting to annoy me!

Seriously does  a pair of headphones exist under £300 which has good bass, good soundstage, good lower mids, good (non harsh or bright) treble, comfort and decent everything else?! I have not found one yet, maybe I could try the mad dogs but they are USA only I think. I wish I just kept the HD650 and the D2000 when I had them both.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #72 of 242
There's a lot of great sounding headphones out there but most of them don't get noticed unless they're an incredible deal or abnormally good. Even then some gems slip through the cracks

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #74 of 242
Quote:

This is exactly what I want to do because I expect that these would actually satisfy me for sound quality, slight problem though, they cost like £700+ !

I am seriously thinking of just keeping the UE6000 and saving up until I can get a proper pair of headphones such as the Fostex or the HE-500. All of this messing about at the £100-£300 mark is starting to annoy me!

Seriously does  a pair of headphones exist under £300 which has good bass, good soundstage, good lower mids, good (non harsh or bright) treble, comfort and decent everything else?! I have not found one yet, maybe I could try the mad dogs but they are USA only I think. I wish I just kept the HD650 and the D2000 when I had them both.

I was going to say D2000..................but you know about them.  And you could buy another used pair. I see plenty of them on the used board, more than usual.  At prices from $250 US to around $300. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #75 of 242
Quote:

Dan (MrSpeakers) DOES sell internationally! (i.e. it is NOT U.S. ONLY!)
Seriously, my MrSpeakers Mad Dogs are one of the best OVERALL headphones I have tried!
Comfort? YES!
Sound Quality? YES!
Price? YES!

But since you are also craving a lot of bass, they will probably not be the best at that, but IT DOES extend low and provide good sub-bass and mid-bass output, just a bit more laid-back. But if you liked the Sennheiser HD650s, you WILL like the Mad Dogs! (COUNT on it!)

You could probably also try:

SoundMagic HP100
NuForce HP800

Haven't tried those two, but have read good things about OVERALL sound quality and Comfort!

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back