Why Does Grado Keep The Throwback To The 50s Styling?
Mar 10, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #46 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The styling is awesome. I just wish they weren't built so cheaply.

Have to agree 100%

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #47 of 93
I too am a fan of the Grados design, dont think there exists a better looking headphone line-up.

I think I like all of there designs, though the iGrados and GS1000 aren't that attractive. The HP1000's are the coolest looking headphones ever made. And... I think I'm a minority on this one, but i really really dig the style of the HF-1's

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #48 of 93
A few years back when I first tried on some SR225s (ended up buying the Sr60 -- skint at the time) I couldn't believe something so weird looking (after being used to reading all about Senns and Beyers) could sound so good.
Years on, I can't imagine why I thought they look weird -- they just seem so 'natural'. I'm going to re-invest in some plaggy ones again for the iPod because I loved them so.
And if you ever watch Das Boot, I'm sure the sonar operator has a pair of MS1!!!

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #49 of 93
<3 325i design

There are few headphones that I appreciate aesthetically as much as Grados. (Beyer dt XX0 series, Senn HD6x0 series, stax omega 2, akg k1000)

The 325i/MS2i design is a current production headphone that trumps all others though. HP1000s and the PS1 are things of beauty.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #50 of 93
I adore this retro look.

Long-dated, this design might turn out to be a marketing problem though. My observation is that the normal nowadays youngster prefers the showoff look of K701, SA*000 & alike.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #51 of 93
I am no fan of the current Grado design.
But I think some of the vintage Grado headphones looks great. Especially the HP-1000, with its metal housing, leather headband, and sometimes a JGSUWBRC. To bad they don't make headphones like this any more!
frown.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #52 of 93
Sometimes I almost wish I would have bought an older original style MS2 rather than my newer MS2"i".

Since there is no appreciable difference in the sound, it would have just been the looks. But there was always the fear of getting something "not new" and not in the best of shape that held me back. But I have to admit I think I prefer the looks of the older model.

(......if I'd have only known how safe it can be buying from a fellow Head-Fier....I bought some used HD600s from Billinkansas that are as flawless as my brand new MS2i!)

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #53 of 93
I like to think of them as a sleeper headphone. They don't look like much but they sound awesome. They beat my hd580's and probably the 600, and 650's IMO.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #54 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I almost wish I would have bought an older original style MS2 rather than my newer MS2"i".

Since there is no appreciable difference in the sound, it would have just been the looks. But there was always the fear of getting something "not new" and not in the best of shape that held me back. But I have to admit I think I prefer the looks of the older model.

(......if I'd have only known how safe it can be buying from a fellow Head-Fier....I bought some used HD600s from Billinkansas that are as flawless as my brand new MS2i!)

That may be a tough call as Grado build quality IMO is not quite up there with the other big boys. In particular, the silver letterings fade too easily (mine is still reasonably intact but I note many people have trouble maintaining theirs; Larry of Headphile mirrored the same finding). I take great care of all my cans and when I sold my SR-80, I was proud to note the phone was in perfect condition except for faded letterings on some areas (which I hated to admit and show to the buyer).

Sometimes I wish Grado would just resort to using plain ink in place of the silver letterings. But I guess that would just look ugly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #55 of 93
Oh yeah; that silver lettering can be a problem.

I was just looking at the lettering on my MS2i which "Nobody" touches but me....and whew; still flawless!

And after looking at the MS-1s which the kids used for almost four months while waiting for new phones at Christmas, I was surprised, very surprised(!) to find that the only wear was to the "squares" around the "L" and "R".

If the squares hadn't been faded I'd have wondered if they hadn't made a formulation change to the paint or application processes.

But yup; a word of caution should go out to all Grado buyers to take caution with the lettering, it can be pretty fragile!!

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #56 of 93
That doesn't affect the sound or their resale value. As long as people know this happens who cares. They still will sound great.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #58 of 93
I'm not a fan of the design; it looks and feels cheap. If I were building headphones myself, however, I would probably have to use a design like that; it seems like it's a lot easier to put together by hand than an AKG or a Senn.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #59 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL you're probably right I should add "original" to "50's design". The retro looks we're facing are just flavors, they come and go. My point is, there are a few things that are good enough they remain as satisfying now as they were then. This quality should be appreciated.

BTW what's IKEA?
rs1smile.gif

Touche! You win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back