Why Does Grado Keep The Throwback To The 50s Styling?
Mar 10, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #31 of 93
Not many products with '50s design are still alive today - maybe the B52s. This alone make Grado a very unique item to use in everyday life.

On the contrary, their recent attemps in updating the looks: SR40 and iGrado, fail miserably.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #32 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONGsanmanwah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not many products with '50s design are still alive today - maybe the B52s. This alone make Grado a very unique item to use in everyday life.

On the contrary, their recent attemps in updating the looks: SR40 and iGrado, fail miserably.

Some even consider the new "mushroom" styling of the SR-325i and MS2"i" to be a step in the wrong direction.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #33 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The styling is awesome. I just wish they weren't built so cheaply.

x2! Don't forget the terrible earpads and cheap headbands.

Quote:

I'm just wondering, do you happen to live in the western world, by any chance? Seen a Chrysler, been to an IKEA, or perhaps bought any headphone amplifier in production, particularly a tube one? My question is whether there is anything stylish made now that doesn't have 50s design. Even iPods look like they were designed by Raymond Loewy.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #34 of 93
If you want different stylings, get a K701 or HD595.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #35 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just wondering, do you happen to live in the western world, by any chance? Seen a Chrysler, been to an IKEA, or perhaps bought any headphone amplifier in production, particularly a tube one? My question is whether there is anything stylish made now that doesn't have 50s design. Even iPods look like they were designed by Raymond Loewy.

LOL you're probably right I should add "original" to "50's design". The retro looks we're facing are just flavors, they come and go. My point is, there are a few things that are good enough they remain as satisfying now as they were then. This quality should be appreciated.

BTW what's IKEA?
rs1smile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #36 of 93
The grado look grew on me. Personally I found most headphones here quite ugly and ridiculous at first... then I became more involved with the forums and well.... things changed ALOT.

Now I must say I really do love grado styling.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #38 of 93
Quote:

The mighty Zippo is another one of them classics !

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #39 of 93
I love their design. It's one of those "stupid" simple design that's also very functional. It's timeless...and it's beautiful
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #41 of 93
A pic of a Grado SR-60 brought me to Head-fi. I would have never clicked on this damn picture knowing it would blow a gigantic hole in my wallet!

Needless to say, I really dig the Grado retro style. It matches really well with my vintage pairs of Converse sneakers
biggrin.gif

BTW, not all plastic Grado's were build cheaply, just look at the old Joe Grado Prestige Line, nicely matched drivers, leather headbands, better rods, sometimes with the Joseph Grado Ultra-Bandwith Reference Cable and even rarer, equipped with HP1000's drivers.

Julien

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #43 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well unlike 'attractive' headphones (k701, beyers, name it) grados actually looks good on people's heads

True!

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #44 of 93
i love the styling too. I think they machine all the pieces (ABS plastic) themselves also, this has a lot of appeal to me. The simplicity is great! I think there is a total of 12 pieces of plastic or so that goes into the construction of the prestige series, simple effective engineering. Also i think the idea of using real wood to house the reference and statement series is a brilliant idea, i wish i had one of those.....

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #45 of 93
i think they're beauties... nothing in production is as mindblowingly attractive as HP1000s/PS1s, though. the gold just doesn't do it for me. those two were stunning.

edit: and anything is better than those alien single-earcup-terminated headphones with the wires stickin' outta the headband. or the very plastic Ultrasones. honestly the only other styles i really like are beyerdynamic DT770s and Sennheiser HD580/HD600/HD650. the former is just really stylish with a great choice in shades of black/gray, and the latter is industrial looking and better looking on your head than Grados, too.

....don't even get me started on Ergos. i'm intrigued by how they sound, but there's really just a limit on how open minded i can possibly be with this hobby. i'd just look too stupid. no offense to Duggeh, it just means you've got more balls than i do.
wink.gif

edit: oh wow adding the wink smilie to the end of that really makes it look kinda creepy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back