Why Does Grado Keep The Throwback To The 50s Styling?
Mar 10, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 93
For me; it's not how they look
rolleyes.gif
...it's how they sound
icon10.gif
! And yes; I DO find them comfortable!

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 93
The styling is awesome. I just wish they weren't built so cheaply.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 93
Grado has been around as long as me-and then some. They have always made great products IMO. Had their Tone Arm on a Rek-O-Cut Ttable for a long time. Cart's were hand built and came boxed accordingly. Yes, the 50's were a wonderful time. If a product has endured this long-it deserves to stay as it was intended. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc836 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado has been around as long as me-and then some. They have always made great products IMO. Had their Tone Arm on a Rek-O-Cut Ttable for a long time. Cart's were hand built and came boxed accordingly. Yes, the 50's were a wonderful time. If a product has endured this long-it deserves to stay as it was intended. Just my 2 cents.

Hey; old timer! Don't look now, but that 2 cents don't cut it no more! 8 to 10 cents minimum, these days!!

Couldn't agree more about the 50s!! What I don't understand is considering how good those days were, why they can be put down so often as being so "bad" today!!

I must have missed something. I thought they were great!!

.....except why did they have to go and introduce transistors and goof up a good thing!!

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 93
You got to go back in the late 80's and early 90's when Grado was in the red with slumping sales in phono cartridges and the company was about to fold. The tooling, dies and molds were all built in house by John Chaipis so the design of the tooling had to be simple just functional. To make make molds like those of Senn, they would had to aquire expensive EDM and CNC machine tools or had to contract the tooling out. The design for the proper term is "retro" and it is functional like all classics.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #25 of 93
Throwback you say? lol

I say, classic
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 93
you do know that the length of the tube has en efect on the sound? when properly sized it can shape the driver. otherwise, the driver is just opperating in free air.

i hate to use the brand as an example, but the "bazooka" automotive sub-woofers come to mind.... notice anything similar
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #27 of 93
Quote:

Does anyone feel the same way or love their styling?

To be honest? I loved my SR60, but it was damn ugly. The alluminium and woody design is quite good instead, I think we all agree (with the PS1 being the absolute best). The problem it's in the low-to-mid range, the black plastic Grados.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God...I'm dying to buy one of their headphones but I can't seem to get past the styling.

Do it ASAP.

I felt 110% the same exact way that you did, during my first year here at head-fi, and it was the biggest mistake and lesson learned of never judging something by its looks. When I put the HF1's on for the first time it took all of 10 seconds worth of the first song to realize I had found my sound, and also for me to realize just how silly I was of depriving myself of it for over year simply because of external appearance.

I had the HF1's for a whole month or two before going straight from them to the HP2's and onward to the PS1's.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesmondDavidH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest? I loved my SR60, but it was damn ugly. The alluminium and woody design is quite good instead, I think we all agree (with the PS1 being the absolute best). The problem it's in the low-to-mid range, the black plastic Grados.

the sr325 and ms2 are aluminum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back