Why Does Grado Keep The Throwback To The 50s Styling?
Mar 10, 2007 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
Hi...i've only read good things about Grado headphones when it came to their sound quality. In fact i've never seen so much accolades for any other maker of headphones like I've seen for Grado headphones.

But when it comes to their styling that another issue. In fact, when it comes to the looks of Grado headphones it's either a love or hate relationship. Either you like 'em or you don't.

God...I'm dying to buy one of their headphones but I can't seem to get past the styling.

Does anyone feel the same way or love their styling?

Thank You All.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 93
I really like the styling. I find it extremely classy. Really futuristic styling will look cheap in a few years. There is a timeless quality about retro stuff (tubes etc will always be sexy) in my opinion. When you look at contemporary styling of the 90's or the 80's that's what modern styling will look like in a few years.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 93
I think they look awesome. If anybody needs to change their construction methods it's ultrasone.

rs1smile.gif
< me with my rs-1's.

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 93
Because they are sexy just the way they are... at least IMHO.

I think their retro look is awaesome, and helps them stand out from the crowd. It could also be the John Grado approach to 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'. And I can certainly understand that philosophy.

Plus when Grado tries to make a 'contemporary' looking headphone, this is the result:

igrado.jpg

I will take the 'radar oreilly' look over a contemporary Grado look any day of the week. I hope Grado never changes the look of their phones, I like em' just the way they are!

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 93
My neighbors Harley looks just like my 71 Harley which looked an awful lot like my brothers' 51 Harley which didn't look at all like my Dads 14 Harley.

...yeah, that's 14.

I dunno what that means, but I like the styling of my Grados!

.....I'd really like some woodies to complete the set!!
rs1smile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 93
I personally love their styling too. They stand out from most of the other headphones. And when you see one, you know for sure it's a grado.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God...I'm dying to buy one of their headphones but I can't seem to get past the styling.

Buy one, just don't look in the mirror when you're wearing it
rs1smile.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #14 of 93
I like the Grado style, personally. It isn't flashy, and intrigues people without looking ridiculous...

Now, if I were to wear my AKGs outside, people would probably think I had a tinfoil hat and was trying to hear alien signals....
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 93
The styling is great. I even like the looks of the cheap plastic. It's the style that initially turned me towards Grados. I guess that's also why I have almost zero interest in Sennheisers, they make the most generic looking headphones. Even their high-end line, all they way up HE60, look anything but high-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back