Why does everyone like Grados?
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #61 of 203
Personally I just love the Grado sound and the options the different pads offer.

With the cables, you just need to make sure the cables aren't twisted. It's not hard. If the cables don't fall down straight, then take the headphones off, twist one of the cups around until it does and put them back on.

Mine are never twisted anyway because I put them on their stand with the cable straight and then take them off and put them on my head with the cable straight.

There are a lot of things he could do to upgrade the design a bit.

I do agree about the cables needed to be better. The actaul cable itself is clearly quality - but the awful y splitter, the crimps, the cheesy ruberised plug. The rod tips look pretty cheap too, some metal ones like Ryhdon's would be good, and wood ones for the wood phones. As would Joe Grado style metal L-R blocks with rod locks.

Retro is retro, and when it comes to the general style of Grados I love them but I think it is high time to update that design. When you get some beautiful models with aluminium or mahogany air chambers and then you see those cheap plastic L-R blocks and cable, you kind of feel its a case of great design being let down by sloppy finishing.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #62 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree about the cables needed to be better. The actaul cable itself is clearly quality - but the awful y splitter, the crimps, the cheesy ruberised plug. .

Do you have the new i version? The cable on mine seams to be good quality, maybe I got lucky.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #63 of 203
Quote:

Personally I just love the Grado sound and the options the different pads offer.

With the cables, you just need to make sure the cables aren't twisted. It's not hard. If the cables don't fall down straight, then take the headphones off, twist one of the cups around until it does and put them back on.

Mine are never twisted anyway because I put them on their stand with the cable straight and then take them off and put them on my head with the cable straight.

I do agree about the cables needed to be better. The actaul cable itself is clearly quality - but the awful y splitter, the crimps, the cheesy ruberised plug. The rod tips look pretty cheap too, some metal ones like Ryhdon's would be good, and wood ones for the wood phones. As would Joe Grado style metal L-R blocks with rod locks.

Retro is retro, and when it comes to the general style of Grados I love them but I think it is high time to update that design. When you get some beautiful models with aluminium or mahogany air chambers and then you see those cheap plastic L-R blocks and cable, you kind of feel its a case of great design being let down by sloppy finishing.

I really don't understand your complaints. What's so bad about having cheese on your plug? bah.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #64 of 203
Regal,
I have an SR125i, an MS2i (< still uses non i cable so I recabled it to Headphile BlackCopper) and an MS1(000) (< Old cable, want to get these recabled before too long) - it's an aesthetic thing with the old cables - the quality is fine, they just look rubbish to me.

The cables themsleves are good quality, I was referring to the cheap feel of the finishing - the ugly Y-splitter, the crimps, the plug coating all make a quality product look like a cheap and tacky one.

I'm not actually complaining here, I love Grado, just suggesting some simple ways they could be improved to feel more like they were worth the considerable price.

EDIT: I notice you have the MS-Pro(i) - are you satisfied with them? They are high on my wanted list to complete the Alessandro trilogy.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #65 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like grados. In fact I think they sound like trash with a lot of genres (particularly the MS1 that is. I really didnt have enough time with the mspro)

I could not disagree more. Grados make otherwise quality recordings sound like the compressed mess that come out of most studios. Unless of course you are talking about rock concerts or something like that, then I agree with you because they sound awful.

Guitars sound great through grado phones (well, unique at least), but thats about it. The rest is nothing special and actually sub-par IMO.

All I can say is I'm sure glad I don't have your ears!

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #67 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #70 of 203
Quote:

I have very little issues with the looks or quality of my pair. I'll let the "sloppy finishing" take a far backseat to my enjoyment of the headphones.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #71 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the new i version? The cable on mine seams to be good quality, maybe I got lucky.

x2 to this, mine doesn't have any visible defects
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess I just win then hey?

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #72 of 203
I think with Grado's unique in-your-face sound, listeners either love or hate them. I've been exploring other headphones but I keep on coming back to my 225is. Build wise, I think everyone should be careful with their headphones. It is true that more expensive models have thicker cabling and a stronger headband. However, the only wear I've noticed on mine is the fading silver paint on the lettering.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #73 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X6
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have 6 months since i upgraded to grados and they are solid built and well balanced. Specially on rock...and they rock with a good headamp.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #75 of 203
I had a curious experience with Grados after doing extensive listening to HD600 and K701:

I listen to a lot of classical music and rock in equal measures. I've attended many, many live classical concerts/recitals; and I used to play guitar in a band, so I know how each is 'supposed' to sound.

the Senns and AKGs present a neutral response (the AKGs not so much...), spacious soundstage, correct timbral characteristics, and a 'palpable' sense of texture and presence of acoustic instruments/ensembles/voices. Same goes for amazingly produced non-acoustic music. However, a LOT of popular music recordings are rather 2-dimensional and artificial. For god's sake, most guitars/vocals/instruments are recorded with one mic and mixed-in later! I found that whenever I heard one of 'these' recordings through these cans, they sound pretty much how they really are: bad. Not enough to be unlistenable, but you can tell how the engineers/producers screwed up or otherwise exaggerated the sound.

This is where Grados come in for me. Their freq. response has spikes everywhere upwards of 1khz, the soundstage is rather flat, and since they sit on the ear, they don't really 'disappear' like the 2 mentioned. BUT: they sound great with rock! I think it has to do with how popular records are produced, but not entirely. The perspective of the listener in relation to the performer is what's different. If you're sitting in the middle a large concert hall, listening to Metallica modestly amplified (read: only 1 stack per guitar/bass, small P.A. for vocals, drums unamplified) that's the Senn/AKG signature. Grado is like being right in front of them, in an open air space. At least that's my experience. The same applies to classical music. A large orchestra on RS-1s sounds like you're next to the conductor onstage, almost inside the orchestra. A Piano sounds like you could touch it if you stretched out your hand, etc.

Also, the Senns and AKGs tend to present the music from an analytical and 'uninvolved' perspective: "well, there's the recording. I don't wanna comment".
Grados go: "yeah! check this out". There's something 'soulful' and emotional about the RS-1s that I've never come across in any other can. Once you get past the hyped upper midrange and coloration, there's something really special.

I guess it's just a matter of taste. I, for one, want both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back