Why does everyone like Grados?
Apr 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #46 of 203
I don't like grados. In fact I think they sound like trash with a lot of genres (particularly the MS1 that is. I really didnt have enough time with the mspro)

Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are the only cans that reproduce the live quality concert experience IME.

I could not disagree more. Grados make otherwise quality recordings sound like the compressed mess that come out of most studios. Unless of course you are talking about rock concerts or something like that, then I agree with you because they sound awful.

Guitars sound great through grado phones (well, unique at least), but thats about it. The rest is nothing special and actually sub-par IMO.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #47 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguvian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an honest question here, not trying to start a flame war, but I was wondering why [size=small]everyone[/size] loves Grados so much.

[size=large]I[/size] do not love Grados so much.

But their magic mids and excellent speed deserve a respect and are quite a milestone in modern headphone history. Unfortunately, all Grados I heard (every up to SR225) lack bass and soundstage. I was lucky (and pretty persistent) to mod my PortaPro to sound like SR225 plus bigger bass and soundstage, so I get rid of SR225. Nevertheless, though I reached pretty close, Grados mids remain unbeaten.

For those interested, here are the details of PortaGold mod.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #48 of 203
Wait... if we started to only discuss about the sound quality or sound signature, then this thread will so long... and become useless...

back to topic,
Why does everyone like Grados?, for me:
1. Sound Signature
2. Produce good sound with unamp
3. Retro and simple design
4. Easy to mod to improve the SQ

If you hate grado, then just leave it, no one will force you to buy grado. I realize that grado sound signature is different than any other brand, and I believe each brand has their own sound signature. Nothing is better, it's all back to your preference.

note: Just reply the question from TS, that's it.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #50 of 203
Though I do own an SR325is and RS2i, I'm a waning Grado fan. I really like using my RS2i at work since it's comfortable, very open, and allows for low volume listening. For dedicated listening, I find the Grado sound to be fatiguing for me, though in a subtle way. I tend to ascribe this to their coloured, though balanced sonic signature. The two that I have, characteristically sport a punchy bass with forward mids and quite bright highs. If you're accustomed to listening to your music EQ'd, with a smile and the mids a little above neutral, you'll be thrilled out of your pants that a headphone will do this for you straight out the box. This is what Grado's are about.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've found these Grado's to sport excellent sonic clarity, especially when amp'd well and with a good source feeding the amp. Their sonic clarity is certainly up there with the other similarly priced cans.

In the end, I've discovered that I much prefer a more neutral sort of presentation, i.e., one that would bore a Grado fan and have him/her saying that there's loss of musicality.
smily_headphones1.gif
As to concerts, I do find that they present music differently from a carefully engineered studio recording. IMO, they serve very different purposes with one not intended to replace the other. I'm a fan of the studio recordings. They're usually much better done and are FAR, FAR less fatiguing that the maelstrom of a live concert. The live concert sound and atmosphere has its place no doubt, like spicey food and some good rum. However, at the end of the day, if you're really into listening to your music, it's IMO, down to what you're prepared to listen to for hours on end at a time. I do this effortlessly with my HD650's and a beautifully engineered and rehearsed recording.

Others may of course, feel differently. So for me, I've fallen out of love with Grado's, though I still respect what they have to deliver and would definitely not consider them trash or not worth their salt or price. It's just a matter of what you're looking for in your sound. The Denon's are another story!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #51 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. How exactly are you taking your headphones off? My much heavier HF2s don't slide up and down the rods at all. And when they do, is it really that much of a pain to readjust?

2. The cable is probably the sturdiest part of the headphones. Big, thick, beefy, and heavy. Not some wire-thin cable like on portable headphones. I've had no rips or tears in the cable of my SR60i in the nine months I've owned them, but I got a split in the rubber of the KSC75 cable after two months. The non-i version have a thinner cable, though. I'll admit the crimping looks scary, but I've had no problems with it. And the HF2 has no crimping whatsoever (and a cable that's as thick as a pencil). I imagine others higher up in the product line are the same.

3. The argument about infinitely spinning cups I've never understood. Why exactly does it matter? Are you going to play spin-the-driver with your buddies? The cable is going to look nastily twisted and become uncomfortable well before twisting will tear it. My cups never twist more than 180 or 360 degrees before I fix them anyway. Is it a necessary feature? No, but it doesn't hurt in actuality.

4. They ARE well-built. They look fragile but the plastic is actually pretty thick. Would it be more durable with metal? Yes, but five times heavier. I've thrown my poor plastic Grados in bags numerous times, dropped them even more, and they're no worse for it.

5. What exactly is your "experience"? You've mentioned what you see as the flaws, but not how they've affected you. Are you really willing to give up on the headphones you want to like just because their cups swivel and occasionally need adjusting? I personally put sound over build quality as long as the headphones will last. If you're different, I guess you'll need a pair of these:
2008-2-28vintageheadphones.jpg

I second all of these points
biggrin.gif
If you want portability, get IEMs or a pair of KSC75. Grados are for home-enjoying. They deserve a dedicated place like a safe or locked case instead of some random spots in your room with dirty boxers piling on them.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #52 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. The two that I have, characteristically sport a punchy bass with forward mids and quite bright highs. If you're accustomed to listening to your music EQ'd, with a smile and the mids a little above neutral, you'll be thrilled out of your pants that a headphone will do this for you straight out the box. This is what Grado's are about.
smily_headphones1.gif

il:

How can you have a smile freq response with foward mids? makes no sense, if anything the Grados have a frown freq response. People often confuse accurate upper midrange with treble. Humans can barely hear treble, try boosting your eq at 12khz you won't even notice it.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #53 of 203
Quote:

How can you have a smile freq response with foward mids? makes no sense, if anything the Grados have a frown freq response. People often confuse accurate upper midrange with treble. Humans can barely hear treble, try boosting your eq at 12khz you won't even notice it.

I thought I wrote .... 'and the mids a little above neutral'. I don't wish to get into a semantic argument about what are highs vs mids, but all the sliders in a typical software EQ will produce a lot of audible change in the sound. I've tried the EQ'ing I mentioned. It does produce the effect. Of course, I'm not saying that I can EQ my Senns into sounding exactly like a Grado, but I could make the tonal balance quite similar.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #54 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I wrote .... 'and the mids a little above neutral'. I don't wish to get into a semantic argument about what are highs vs mids, but all the sliders in a typical software EQ will produce a lot of audible change in the sound. I've tried the EQ'ing I mentioned. It does produce the effect. Of course, I'm not saying that I can EQ my Senns into sounding exactly like a Grado, but I could make the tonal balance quite similar.

I have some serious DAW EQ software and there is no way I could get Senns to sound anywhere near as lifelike as Grados. We must have very different ear geometry.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #55 of 203
I personally love the look of Grado. From the first time I saw a pair of sr60 in 2001 or so, I thought they were the sweetest looking cans ever. The bummer for me is I can never tolerate the sound at all. I have tried the 60 and 80 several times both i and pre versions. The build was never an issue imo, the older ones did have that sloppy crimp which the op spoke of..but the i versions of both were perfect in that regard. I also loved how the 60 and 80 felt small and light on my head.. no "grado" discomfort to speak of. I see every time I am on head.fi how all ears are different. I love the sound of my Westone 3.. love the Triple.fi if the fit was better..but can't tolerate the se530 at all, I also just got the srh440 and love them with the bass boosted a tad. I guess I'm one of the ones who like music to be too colored to my own tastes. Let the "flogging" begin.. lol.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #56 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm one of the ones who like music to be too colored to my own tastes. Let the "flogging" begin.. lol.

No flogging, I think ear/head geometry plays a role in our preferences and also the way the brain processes sound, so we all hear things differently. The challenge is to find what sounds best to you without breaking the bank. Thankfully there is the headfi marketplace where you can sell cans that don't work for you, been a lifesaver for me.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #57 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because if everyone owned a lower/mid end Grado, all the amp builders would be out of a job.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good point, as my Grados sound pretty darn good with an iPod and a Fiio E5.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #58 of 203
Quote:

No flogging, I think ear/head geometry plays a role in our preferences and also the way the brain processes sound, so we all hear things differently. The challenge is to find what sounds best to you without breaking the bank. Thankfully there is the headfi marketplace where you can sell cans that don't work for you, been a lifesaver for me.

Agree totally. I really agree on the head.fi marketplace...it's been my saving grace with my wife!! Even she admits now that head.fi gear has a resale like nothing else! Don't hear " you bought another pair of headphones/amp!!" nearly as much anymore. Didn't mean to get off topic..proceed.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #59 of 203
Quote:

Agree totally. I really agree on the head.fi marketplace...it's been my saving grace with my wife!! Even she admits now that head.fi gear has a resale like nothing else! Don't hear " you bought another pair of headphones/amp!!" nearly as much anymore. Didn't mean to get off topic..proceed.

Me too, and same goes with my other hobby, watches. They retain value like currency and can be bought and sold with little or no loss... it takes the guilt out of the hobby, and allows us to focus on the best gear for our individual needs without worrying about being stuck with gear that isn't doing it for you.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #60 of 203
Quote:

I wish your wife could talk to mine, she has no concept of resale value
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back