Why does everyone like Grados?
Apr 17, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #93 of 203
it's true that they are not the "most" comfortable headphones in the world...
and probably don't have the best build ever(I didn't have a single problem with them though...) and maybe not the most pretty too...(some like their looks,including me)

but who really cares about those stuff? good sound comes first to everything for me and i am sure that for most audiophiles out there too.
I am willing to even suffer to some extent if i am getting a world class sound to my ears. I won't lie..there were sessions that the RS1 weren't so comfortable but the gorgous sound make you forget all about it
smile.gif

but i can easely see why someone will dislike their sound...it is not for everybody.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #95 of 203
While on the subjects of Grados, when the friggin hell is Grados going to make some nice closed back headphones like what other manufacturers do or are they still living in the dark ages.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #96 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's true that they are not the "most" comfortable headphones in the world...
and probably don't have the best build ever(I didn't have a single problem with them though...) and maybe not the most pretty too...(some like their looks,including me)

but who really cares about those stuff? good sound comes first to everything for me and i am sure that for most audiophiles out there too.
I am willing to even suffer to some extent if i am getting a world class sound to my ears. I won't lie..there were sessions that the RS1 weren't so comfortable but the gorgous sound make you forget all about it
smile.gif

but i can easely see why someone will dislike their sound...it is not for everybody.

Thankfully, we don't have to suffer in any way or put up with poor looks, quirky design and comfort to get world class sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
Grado's are by no stretch of the imagination indispensable. Nor would they be missed, by me, if they disappeared from existence... even though I may well respect their sound and can understand someone's appreciation for them.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #97 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While on the subjects of Grados, when the friggin hell is Grados going to make some nice closed back headphones like what other manufacturers do or are they still living in the dark ages.

I think it's because they know already, like most here on head-fi, that closed headphones are inferior to an open design in just about every way when it comes to sound quality. I understand there are many scenarios where a closed headphone is needed, but an open design provides a superior experience.

The only exception to this rule is the Sony MDR-R10, and it is quite expensive.

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #98 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did extensive ABing of the Grado SR60i and the M50 and the M50 beats them hands down in every aspect. The M50 is the superior headphone IMO.

Should consider though that the Grados retail for almost half the M50's price.

That said, I also compared the MS1 and the SR80 to the M50 and the M50 beats them handily as well.

Who makes the M50's?

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #100 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's because they know already, like most here on head-fi, that closed headphones are inferior to an open design in just about every way when it comes to sound quality. I understand there are many scenarios where a closed headphone is needed, but an open design provides a superior experience.

I completely agree. I think John Grado is on the record for saying that they haven't been able to reproduce the Grado sound with closed headphones that they can with open.

I have recently purchased a set of beyer DT770/600 ohm headphones only because I need them for isolation. Otherwise, when isolation is not needed, it's open cans all the way.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #102 of 203
Quote:

Are any Grados made in China, interesting to find out ?

The iGrado's are and I think their IEMs. The rest are made in NYC.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #103 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stax 4070?
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Are any Grados made in China, interesting to find out ?

Yes! The iGrado are made in China

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #104 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely agree. I think John Grado is on the record for saying that they haven't been able to reproduce the Grado sound with closed headphones that they can with open.

I have recently purchased a set of beyer DT770/600 ohm headphones only because I need them for isolation. Otherwise, when isolation is not needed, it's open cans all the way.

I wouldn't doubt it at all. I just can't imagine the Grado sound in closed form.

Look forward to your impressions on the DT770/600. The DT770/80 was what started my trip down the rabbit hole. I owe my journey to that headphone. I'd definitely be interested in hearing the 600 ohm version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax 4070?
popcorn.gif

Yes of course. Forgive me. They are so easy to forget about because they are spoken of so seldom.

The L3000 is the other one I left out that I enjoyed very much, although it does have a closed signature.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #105 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

build? use grado on head, not foot

Lol, hilarious post!

In response to the OP, I think I can understand why some people would dislike the grado sound/style - they are very 'bold' headphones. Personally, I have ended my grado journey with the rs1i and I am sure that I will never part with them. With certain records they sound so incredibly articulate and involving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back