Why does everyone like Grados?
Apr 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #106 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't doubt it at all. I just can't imagine the Grado sound in closed form.

Look forward to your impressions on the DT770/600. The DT770/80 was what started my trip down the rabbit hole. I owe my journey to that headphone. I'd definitely be interested in hearing the 600 ohm version.

Wow...impressive that it was a beyerdynamic can that started you off on this expensive path. Mine, sadly, were the Bose Triports.

On a side note, I should have some thoughts on the 600 ohm DT770 within a few days (after I get about 100 hours on them).

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #107 of 203
Back to the topic:

Grado phones give very emotional presentation, very musical and lively. They could make you sing and dance. On the other hand they have far from perfect frequency response - too coloured and agressive sometimes. Musicians and audiophiles adore Grado, engineers and tech-freaks hate them...

Oh, and that DIY look is simply georgeous
gs1000.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #109 of 203
from the headroom sr-60 graph it shows that they have much more bass and much less high frequencies than the other grados,mainly the sr and the rs series. it is true?
by the way,is it recommended to try bowls with the sr60? anyone tried it?

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #110 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from the headroom sr-60 graph it shows that they have much more bass and much less high frequencies than the other grados,mainly the sr and the rs series. it is true?

From my experience with both SR60 (non i) and RS1, there is no way SR60 has more bass, despite the graph. I found the SR60's with bowls a bit too bright actually, and preferred them with comfies.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #111 of 203
Quote:

I had both pads for my sr60's and couldn't hear any discernible difference. The bowls were just much more uncomfortable. (does this mean I'm a failure at being an audiophile?) Sometime I'll have to make an actual comparison and switch between the two in a single listening session.

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #112 of 203
Quote:

I put bowls on my SR60s and there was no bass at all compared to comfies and higher-end Grados with bowls. Then I tried the *basshead* tape mod and the balance ended up very similar to SR225s (minus the refinement, etc). Also there's actual soundstage now.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #114 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience with both SR60 (non i) and RS1, there is no way SR60 has more bass, despite the graph. I found the SR60's with bowls a bit too bright actually, and preferred them with comfies.

perhaps the flat pads will go nice with the sr60,they are too muddy with my rs1.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #115 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the ps1000 worth its price?

That most certainly depend on several factors:
* How much you need to pay.
* How much you value its sound and build quality.
* How much money you have laying around.

In the end only you can tell if they are worth it to you.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #116 of 203
It's a stupid question. OP, your question is like asking why does everyone like fat bottomed girls. No, not everyone loves Grados; some do, others don't, but they all have their own reason: personal taste. Now do you like DD-cups or plain B-cups?

PS: Even if build quality matters that much to you, the way you describe Grados, your selection of words (trash, joke, dumb, etc) are nothing objective but accusative. You DO intend to start a flame war.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #117 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a stupid question. OP, your question is like asking why does everyone like fat bottomed girls.

everyone does love fat bottomed girls..they just don't know it
tongue.gif

naa kidding. Grado's have a certain appeal, a look about them like the portapro's

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #118 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a stupid question. OP, your question is like asking why does everyone like fat bottomed girls. No, not everyone loves Grados; some do, others don't, .

Also many who love Grados don't like the PS-1000's

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #119 of 203
never heard the PS-1000, but from all the comments on them It seems that they are the most disliked flagship headphone...at least on head fi.
knowing my taste and my serious addiction to the grado sound I think i would have like them a lot. I liked the GS-1000 very much when I auditioned them and the PS1000 supposed to be even better.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #120 of 203
Here's my opinions on Grados/Allesandros. Personally I love em. Many years ago while living in Melbourne Australia I bought myself a pair of Grado SR80s, they were well I could say my first true hi end headphone in which I used on my Sony Discman and Creative Zen Touch MP3 player, also I found them to be quite easy to drive and didnt need to amped them. Their SQ astouned me, as I found them to be lively and loud and as they say Grados are great for listening to live music too.

Earlier this year 2010, I decided to invest in another pair of Grados, this time being the Alesandros MS-1's as I had heard soo much good reviews on these fantastic headphones. Though I do love the MS1's as well and their lovely SQ in some ways I do find them bit difficult to drive, eg I use a CMOY amp to drive em (thanks Fred Fred for your lovely sounding amps
k701smile.gif
) but a CMOY drives em very well. Also I do also find them if not both my Grados too be quite comfortable also.

I dont have any issues with their build quality either and they are one retro looking headphone for sure.

Now the only small issue that I dont like and will live and bear with it is the cable length, I dont know what the heck Grado decided to put a half a kilometre cable on these phones, I mean really at the end of the day their more so a home listening headphone and not one thats used for Studio Monitoring.

I would like to replace the earpads on my MS1's with yellow ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back