Why do you wake up everyday?
May 10, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 93
After you get over the senioritis you're going to be in for a shock of the dream of being a professional musician versus the realities of needing to pay bills. Once you do get to college, it's one of the toughest majors around, and then for what - for the slim chance you MIGHT get a professional gig. Talent hardly enters into it. Everyone auditioning is talented. No, it's the right place at the right time.

And until you find that right place, you'll have to pay the bills.

You have two choices, go through life a'la Officespace - or reconcile yourself that maybe while it's not as sexy as music, that you'll look at the bright side, and you'll realize it's not so much what your work is, but who you work with. If you look hard enough and after you mess up enough times you'll find a place where the people are good and you look forward to being around them for the day.

And for that, you get paid. It's not music, that's true, but it'll support the habit until you find your performance feet.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 93
y'know, i asked myself that question every morning for the past year and a half
last year was so i could see her for 3+ hours everyday
then it was summer...and i woke up to pee or to eat...
then it was fall...and it so i could see a different her at school and marching band and talk to her online until 11

now its for school...and to see my friends

May 10, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 93
I'd urge you to spend part of your day at the crappy job thinking about what you would rather be doing so that you'll have a better sense of direction in your life. You don't need to tell everyone about it, but you should at least be thinking about what positive steps you can make now to begin moving in a direction that will lead to a more fulfilling life. It's not an easy 'task' and it's not something you can just one day 'do' and be done with, but the minute you start to believe in yourself and realize that you're just as capable as the next guy, you'll begin to look at your present situation as being a temporary but necessary stop along the way to something that you'll one day find to be a much more rewarding career.

If you don't start thinking seriously now about what your potential is and what you need to do to reach it, you'll be looking back 30 years from now with all sorts of "if only" thoughts. Better to be looking back with "I'm glad I did" thoughts. But you can't 'do' until you've begun to identify what it is you want to do. Don't torture yourself for not being there now. It all takes time but is well worth it to invest heavily in yourself.

To a certain extent, you may need to be a little selfish early on, even if it means pursuing your goals like a madman and not being as available to others as you would like to be. But at least you will have a focus, and that will relax your mind. Working for someone else and not being respected or well paid is not something you want to stick with on a long-term basis. That much you seem to understand (I mean, who wouldn't?), but what will get you out of bed and excited about the prospects of the coming day is a question that only you can answer after a lot of reflection. Just remember that you're worth it, and no matter how crazy your ideas may seem to others, nobody can take them away from you unless you let them.

May 10, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 93
Because I am happy. I'm not the insanely optimistic "Go World!" guy either. Theres things I don't want to do, sometimes I do them, sometimes I dont. The point is, I'm 100% content and satisfied with my life. I cannot remember the last time I felt sad or upset. I attribute most of this to Buddhism, as it really has led me to inner happiness.

May 10, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #23 of 93
Waffles...this is America, you can do anything you want. Just relize that each action has consiquensis...the choice is yours. If your job sucks then get another one. Remember that scene from American Beauty where Kevin Spacey is in the shower and he say's "this is the best part of the day"? (Wish this forum had spell check)

May 10, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waffles...this is America, you can do anything you want. Just realize that each action has consequences...the choice is yours. If your job sucks then get another one. Remember that scene from American Beauty where Kevin Spacey is in the shower and he says "This is the best part of the day"? (Wish this forum had spell check Why, you've got me
biggrin.gif
)

May 10, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 93
Ok, I didn't know your were still in high school. So maybe you can discount my post to a degree in some ways.

When I was a senior in high school, I hated life. I even hated college too. I love my life now that I am out of school. IMO, school sucks, even college.

People say that your best years in life are in college and high school. I have to disagree. Life after school is so much better.

May 10, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #26 of 93
i wake up to pee, or because its too hot to sleep any longer...

seriously though, find something you love to do and life wont seem that bad. Right now I look forward to waking up and reading manga or riding my bike because I'm jobless. But a few summers ago I hated waking up each morning. My stupid alarm clock would go off at 5am, i'd be driving to work in the dark with the roads practically empty, and starting my shift at 6am. For the first hour of work my eyes would be watering and I'd feel physically sick. Sometimes I would sneak to the bathroom to catch a 5min snooze before getting back to work. But without pain and hardship you never appreciate the simple pleasures in life. That was the only job where we had 15 minute timed coffee breaks (punch cards), and that was the only job in which i appreciated sitting in the lounge for 15 minutes gazing outside at the sun and the trees.

May 10, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 93
The only reason I wake up is because my body automatically switches from an anabolic to a catabolic state at a certain time in the morning.

Currently, that is the only reason. If I had the choice, I'd really rather not wake up at all.

May 10, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #29 of 93
Aside from my amazing girlfriend and job/school that I love... I can't really get into this without getting into a discussion on the verboten topic of religion. I have a purpose in life, and I know what the purpose is. That's all I need, the rest is just gravy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back