Why Do they stop making the good ones?
Oct 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Oublie

100+ Head-Fier
Ok maybe it's just me but why is it that all the good ones are taken?

What i mean is list the superhero's of the headphone world and what you have is cans like the AKG K1000 (no longer made) Sony MDR-R10, Original Stax Omega's, Sennheiser Electrostats and the list goes on and on. Now I know we live in a world of fast food and fast everthing else. These days cans are bought because they match your emo image or the colour of your eyeshadow and that good does not necessarilly mean good at the purpose for which the things were invented. So am i being silly by thinking that the legendary headphones should still be in production if they really were that good or is it just that they were phased out to allow for newer shinier but not necessarily better products. I have a feeling that they companies who made these products put them too far out of the mainstream and added too much of a markup in profit for them to sell in huge volume so why cant they bring them back drop their profit margin and sell to the masses. I'm only guessing but surely the like of sony are more than capable of making a headphone to beat all.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 52
They were so expensive that only a few people can afford them. In brief, technical success doesn't necessarily mean commercial success.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 52
true but surely if they were mass produced economies of scale would kick in and see a large drop in cost to the consumer

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 52
This is an age of efficiency. Inefficient companies get booted out very quickly. If a company wants to continue to exist it has to churn out products that people would buy by the millions, and stop producing stuffs that only takes up 0.00000000000000000001% of the market share.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 52
From my understanding, a lot of todays "high-end" headphones were not considered "high-end" back when they were produces. Grado HP1000 and K1000 seem to be in this category, and even the R10 was often spit on while it was in production.

It seems that it takes years for the community to "get" some headphones, and to learn what amps/sources to pair them with.

Many of todays current "high-end" headphones like GS1000, RS1, ED9, soon to be HE Jade, Omega2, TakeT H2, D5000/D7000, AD2000/W5000 may very well be considered "high-end" (and some already are) when the community and knowledge of synergy catch up.

EDIT: I've read that the K1000 was down at $500 and HP1000 at $300 close to production stop.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 52
That makes sense Henmyr. There only seem to be a handful of what would be classed as relatively inexpensive high end phones. E.g. the hd-650's maybe the difference in sound is not enough to warrant producing something higher end with double the price tag?

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What i mean is list the superhero's of the headphone world and what you have is cans like the AKG K1000 (no longer made) Sony MDR-R10, Original Stax Omega's, Sennheiser Electrostats and the list goes on and on. Now I know we live in a world of fast food and fast everthing else. These days cans are bought because they match your emo image or the colour of your eyeshadow and that good does not necessarilly mean good at the purpose for which the things were invented. So am i being silly by thinking that the legendary headphones should still be in production if they really were that good or is it just that they were phased out to allow for newer shinier but not necessarily better products. I have a feeling that they companies who made these products put them too far out of the mainstream and added too much of a markup in profit for them to sell in huge volume so why cant they bring them back drop their profit margin and sell to the masses. I'm only guessing but surely the like of sony are more than capable of making a headphone to beat all.

Shameless plug.. There are still the dt48's that are in this league. And still in production.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shameless plug.. There are still the dt48's that are in this league. And still in production.

Interesting... What do you think of the dt48's compared with the other high end phones, e.g. K1000, GS1000 and especially beyerdynamic's latest flagship dt990's?

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my understanding, a lot of todays "high-end" headphones were not considered "high-end" back when they were produces. Grado HP1000 and K1000 seem to be in this category, and even the R10 was often spit on while it was in production.

You have a point. But still K702 today obviously looks more like an extension of the K501 line rather than that of K1000. So even if K1000 is not deemed "high end" then, apparently AKG thinks that K1000 is too lofty for today's market (until if K2000 or anything like that appear in the future.).

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We can all appreciate your newfound respect for the DT48's but seriously, let's not get carried away now.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 52
Now look at Bose... none of them need an Amp, all of them look expensive and are stylish is design.

people dont really care about Sound quality u know.

they care about looks & the feel.

Hence mainstream population either buys skullcandy or Bose.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dont forget some classics like the Koss HV-1/1A and my vintage Sennheiser HD420 cans while you are at it, but I do agree with what you are saying. I have said for years that today's electronics (especially headphones/IEM's/buds) are built like crap, and built solely for the purpose of fast sale and corporate profit, without regards or respect for the real reasons you buy a pair of cans or IEM's.... quality, reliability over the years, and most importantly, sound!!!

I remember the days when most electronics were either made right here in the good-old U.S.A., Japan, or in Europe, and by names you can trust for decades to continue to put out quality gear. But now, they have decided to go with manufacturing products in third-world countries simply to cut costs, and increase profits, without regards to quality control, hence some of us stock up and buy more than one of the same model, whether it be DAP's, recorders, phones or anything else, for the fear that the company will pull the plug on it the following year or in case they break due to poor craftsmanship (or get stolen or worse).

Now all of you know why I own three NW-HD5 Walkmen, on top of all the MiniDisc and Hi-MD units and all accessories that I do, for fear that many of them will no longer exist tomorrow, in favor of something alse that may not last as long as what we know as "old reliable" has.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember the days when most electronics were either made right here in the good-old U.S.A., Japan, or in Europe, and by names you can trust for decades to continue to put out quality gear. But now, they have decided to go with manufacturing products in third-world countries simply to cut costs, and increase profits, without regards to quality control, hence some of us stock up and buy more than one of the same model, whether it be DAP's, recorders, phones or anything else, for the fear that the company will pull the plug on it the following year or in case they break due to poor craftsmanship (or get stolen or worse).

That's why some of those brands disappears, and some stays afloat.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 52
And maybe it is not as much "legendary" as it is "collectible" and so its status is achieved the same way like with any other collectible item. Psychology. Lucky few owners praise them to haven (could be real, could be subjective, could be price placebo effect), it generates demand that is much greater than supply so the price goes ever higher, and so very few people have the chance to actually try them and hear for themselves. So it's hard to know if they are really THAT good. Manufacturers are happy because "legendary" creates a buzz you can't buy so the headphone to them is more valuable dead than alive. I personally wouldn't worry about not being able to either find or afford one of those for the purpose of listening to music, but from the value point of view as a collectible in demand, it's a good purchase that keeps its value well.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viktor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... What do you think of the dt48's compared with the other high end phones, e.g. K1000, GS1000 and especially beyerdynamic's latest flagship dt990's?

I haven't heard the GS1000 or the DT990, but the DT48 has a more natural presentation to the mids for vocals/acoustics. The K-1000 wins for soundstage and bass response, but I've only heard ribbons, electrostats and AMTs nail vocals and piano the way the DT 48 does.

Quote:

We can all appreciate your newfound respect for the DT48's but seriously, let's not get carried away now.

You should hear one!
atsmile.gif
There's a reason they've in production for almost 50 years and are a longtime studio standard.

I will have pairs at the LA meet and CanJam 2009. I think a lot of people are going to realize the DT48 is overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back