Why Do they stop making the good ones?
Oct 6, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E models are made for music application. If you are trying to discredit the 48, you are not doing a good job at it. I think most people understand that the A models are not meant for music. You should actually try a pair instead copy/paste reviews to help support your premise.

Stop being a little girl man. These were the only two reviews I could find after an "exhaustive" ten minute search. Im trying to give people a perspective. No matter what I do, I cant discredit YOUR listening experience. Actually most people have no idea about the 48s and whatever letter designation follows that has even less meaning. If the 48dts are as good as you think they are then I think thats great, and its good that a high level reference for cheap $$$ is out there. That being said I hear a little bit of "these are the best EVA!" in your posts and I am somewhat skeptical. Its very NIKish.

Ive owned a few of the reference phones including two pairs of R10s(newer and older versions) AT L3000s, BDed gs1000s, two MSPs, HP-2', and an RS-1. Some lower end phones including, beyer 990dt 250 ohm and 600ohm, two hd 600s and 650s with Mobius, Blue dragon, Cardas, silver dragon V1 and V2, APS V3, Equinox, and RAL Cable; AKG 501s, AT W100s, DT880s and maybe some others Im forgetting. My amplification includes Two Cary 300 SEIs (stock and F1 versions), Two supras, two WA-2s one stock one tricked out, A headamp dual mono gsx predicesor (forget the name) fully tricked out with blackgates and silver wiring, a wheatfield ha-2, melos, etc....
My sources included a Linn Ikemi, a scd-1, various sony x7*** machines, SACD mods scd c555es and a cheaper model, amongst others.
These are all things I have owned and listened to for at least a few weeks before deeming them worthy or not. Not just a quick listen at a meet.
I havent heard everything but Ive been around the block. Once again, I may be a little skeptical, no I am outright skeptical of your posts but Id love to be proved wrong. However, since many of the reference phones listed above have disappointed me, Im not holding out much hope.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSundays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop being a little girl man. These were the only two reviews I could find after an "exhaustive" ten minute search. Im trying to give people a perspective. No matter what I do, I cant discredit YOUR listening experience. Actually most people have no idea about the 48s and whatever letter designation follows that has even less meaning. If the 48dts are as good as you think they are then I think thats great, and its good that a high level reference for cheap $$$ is out there. That being said I hear a little bit of "these are the best EVA!" in your posts and I am somewhat skeptical. Its very NIKish.

Ive owned a few of the reference phones including two pairs of R10s(newer and older versions) AT L3000s, BDed gs1000s, two MSPs, HP-2', and an RS-1. Some lower end phones including, beyer 990dt 250 ohm and 600ohm, two hd 600s and 650s with Mobius, Blue dragon, Cardas, silver dragon V1 and V2, APS V3, Equinox, and RAL Cable; AKG 501s, AT W100s, DT880s and maybe some others Im forgetting. My amplification includes Two Cary 300 SEIs (stock and F1 versions), Two supras, two WA-2s one stock one tricked out, A headamp dual mono gsx predicesor (forget the name) fully tricked out with blackgates and silver wiring, a wheatfield ha-2, melos, etc....
My sources included a Linn Ikemi, a scd-1, various sony x7*** machines, SACD mods scd c555es and a cheaper model, amongst others.
These are all things I have owned and listened to for at least a few weeks before deeming them worthy or not. Not just a quick listen at a meet.
I havent heard everything but Ive been around the block. Once again, I may be a little skeptical, no I am outright skeptical of your posts but Id love to be proved wrong. However, since many of the reference phones listed above have disappointed me, Im not holding out much hope.

You must be reading wrong. These are not the best 'eva'. On the other hand, you are trying to convince me that the 48s are not that great. Yeah, you have more exposure with the ultra hi end stuff, and thats cool. But from hearing a few ultra hi end headphones, I feel they can compete on that level and do somethings better. Sorry if that offends you. Other owners will also tell you how amazing they are, if you like their sound. If there is a better headphone for acoustics let me know. I been here over two years. I don't 'cry wolf' like some other members that claim an headphone is great, then sells them in a month. Im sure you'll dislike the 48s, as they are not musical, and only excel in a few areas. After the name calling, it wouldn't suprise me if you crap on them for the purpose of 'proving me wrong,' If and when you hear them. If theres a dynamic closed headphone with more detail, better tonality, neutrality, and decay on acoustics let me know about.

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

If theres a dynamic closed headphone with more detail, better tonality, neutrality, and decay on acoustics let me know about.

I know you're not throwing out the "best eva" comments, however it is this kind of statement that is causing some people, myself included, to roll some eyes.

So are you implying that the DT48 bests the L3000 and R10 in these areas?

If so, how much time have you spent with the latter two and what components were being used to drive them?

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get what you are saying with regards to trying new headphones and the SA5000, and I completely agree, however that review was rather harsh, would you agree? It doesn't sound as though the DT48 is a very musical headphone. If that is the case, then that's not going to be interpreted as a good thing by my ears.

I do still want to hear it, as I'm willing to give any headphone a fair shot, however I imagine if they were anywhere near as good as you have found them to be, wouldn't there be more than a handful of owners in our community of headphone enthusiasts? I'm not doubting that they are impressive and that you are thoroughly enjoying them, but have you had long term ownership of the HE90/R10/Qualia/SR-Omega etc. in the past to justify making the insinuations you have that they could possibly be in their league?

In other words, if a $400 headphone was actually on, or near, the same level as headphones currently selling for $6000-10,000 then wouldn't we have heard more about it by now? JAT.

I said all along they are not musical, especially the a models. If these are on par with 6-10 grand headphones wouldn't we have heard about them by now? How many times must I say this, inregards to the a models, they were not made for music applications. They are made for aural acoustics investigations, hearing test, and ENT professionals, that is why. I never heard the e models so cannot comment on them. But Erik does own 3 of them! He thinks the midrange is better then his 1000/HP-2. But the other two had better range with various genres. I doubt the a models would lack the midrange of the E models. Do I think the reviews are harsh? The first one was harsh and unfair. These are reference studio headphones first and foremost. If the reviewer was talking about the a models he would be even more wrong. These are not mean't to sound pleasant. The were made for a certain purpose. Maybe I should fail the RS1's since their not good reference, studio headphones. For rock and rap I prefer my Sen 212 pros over my 48s, If I wan't to boogie, and want a plesant sound. I'm using my low end Sens as a ie. The 48a are anti-Grado. The second review wasn't harsh at all. They were not made to sound pleasant. They are reference studio monitor headphones. If you want a warm, lush, euphoric sound or midrange you will hate these.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're not throwing out the "best eva" comments, however it is this kind of statement that is causing some people, myself included, to roll some eyes.

So are you implying that the DT48 bests the L3000 and R10 in these areas?

If so, how much time have you spent with the latter two and what components were being used to drive them?

Sorry. I meant in production. Have not heard the L3000 or the R10. After reading about these two headphones for over two yrs I came to the conclusion that they are not known for their great natural neutrality and being great at revealing every nunance in a recording, So yah, if you wan't some gotcha points heres your chance. I do know the R10s are very detailed. I have heard the K1000, but meet condtion. Only two other people, so the meet condition excuse shouldn't apply here. If the K1000S are more detailed then the R10s then so are the 48's. But when I made my statement I was refering to inproduction closed headphones. And to be fair to my 48s, I am using a crappy source and not using dedicated headphone amplification. So I know they can sound much better. The k1000 was hooked up to a Cayin tube amp. The K1000 was terminated with a stephon speaker wire. Forgot the companies name. Is the same wire that 6moons reviewed inconjunction with the K1000. The source was a Cambridge CD player. Forgot the model, but was around 6-7 hundred.

Oct 7, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

You must be reading wrong. These are not the best 'eva'. On the other hand, you are trying to convince me that the 48s are not that great. Yeah, you have more exposure with the ultra hi end stuff, and thats cool. But from hearing a few ultra hi end headphones, I feel they can compete on that level and do somethings better. Sorry if that offends you. Other owners will also tell you how amazing they are, if you like their sound. If there is a better headphone for acoustics let me know. I been here over two years. I don't 'cry wolf' like some other members that claim an headphone is great, then sells them in a month. Im sure you'll dislike the 48s, as they are not musical, and only excel in a few areas. After the name calling, it wouldn't suprise me if you crap on them for the purpose of 'proving me wrong,' If and when you hear them. If theres a dynamic closed headphone with more detail, better tonality, neutrality, and decay on acoustics let me know about.

Wait a minute, let me get this straight, Im trying to convince you that the cans you like are not so great...after in my post I said that I cannot discredit your listening experience, and that I hope to be proved wrong not in my judgement of the can but of my skepticism....? I thought I was coming across as hopeful but skeptical due to experience. You sound like your trying to convince yourself. If you like the can man who cares what others think. I didn't give a favor for or against. Lay off the kool-aid man. You're getting pissed off because of perceived differences in opinion. Perceived because no one has really said anything for or against the cans except with the reviews I posted.

My friend really liked the hp-1s and I liked the R10s. I never thought he was full of it, I just understood it might have been ears, or a magnitude of other variables in which both of our preferences may have been altered if we were to assume each others domain of listening (or listen in each others shoes...???). By stating that I can not discredit your listening experience, I was stating that your opinion was of course viable whether I agreed with it or not. I dont think Ive crapped on a phone in any of my reviews. Ive stated my listening preferences, and would give pros and cons to the phones performance in resolution, prat, tonality, bass accuracy and volume, emotional involvement, neutrality or lack thereof, etc...and I would give a recommendation on genre of music the cans would be best suited for and/or type of listener, as well as an overall placement vs other cans I have listened to.
Now keep in mind I have yet to listen to darth beyers so keep in mind the crapping may be yet to come.
I write so much as it seems you are genuinely offended and its kind of funny how sensitive you are about any perceived threat to your favorite toy. I dont want you to think I am picking on you or anything like that. I think subtle definitely is and you should continue to lay into him.
I'm glad you've found headphone happiness. I had it, lost it, and am now trying to get it back again and its a pain in the arse! More for you if no one else digs em anyway. Unfortunately that wasnt the case with the R10s, and now Bosebuttons laughs at my pain, holding my phones which I sold to him at 2500 even after they were discontinued (this was 7 years ago) because I thought selling them at a higher price would be dishonest and greedy (and I still feel this way).

Oct 7, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #52 of 52
Why is the bulk of this thread about headphones that are still in production?

-----

Regarding the op: I think the rarity/collectible angle is huge. I remember the less than stellar reviews of many of the now discontinued headphones, as well as the CD3K mania Chu mentioned - trends change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back