Why Do they stop making the good ones?
Oct 5, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you are talking to me? Just 2 of the legends I heard. But I have listened to many of the current hi end headphones and the 48s are clearly a step above in many areas. And ask the 3 other owners how they stack up with big boys. Erik said the 48s midrange best the K1000/HP-2. Since I listened to the K1000 I would also agree. They probably have more faults then the legends so pick your poison. Either way, you have never heard anything like them.

My comment wasn't directed at you, but at the person I quoted. I am curious to hear the DT48. I'm always looking to like something.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are just as many if not more, statement level headphone products available now as there are in the lists of discontinuum..

Discontinued:

SR-Omega, HE90, HE60, Qualia 010, R10, PS-1, HP-1000, K1000, L3000, Edition 7

Available:

SR-007 (although the Mk.2 isn't as good as the Mk.1 by all reports), Ergo AMT, 4070, HE Jade, Edition 9, H2, GS1000, W5000, JVC Victor DX1000, Denon D7000 (has anyone heard this one yet?), and by, if you'll take enthusiastic sheep follow in the upsurge FOTM feeling, the Beyerdyanmic DT-48.

So there are just as many out there just now as there have been in the past,

The difference is that a lot of whats peak just now of it simply isn't loved in the same way as whats gone before. One might hypothesise that once the Ergo AMT and the GS1000 are discontinued, they will go the way of the L3000 and the R10, and inflate in subsequent perception, the issues which might have plauged their earlier lives solved by sufficient time and experience. Who can say.

So i'm a sheep? Or others are sheep if they take my recommendation. 48s FOTM. Lame. They will never be FOTM headphones Only 4 people on this board have them. Theres almost zero talk about them. The majority have no clue what they are. No large fan base to drive then. They look like headphones from the 50's. Only a few select online vendors sell them. They are genre specific. Nice try though.
Forgot about the muli-quote function. Sorry.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My comment wasn't directed at you, but at the person I quoted. I am curious to hear the DT48. I'm always looking to like something.

Cool. They aern't for everybody. Even if you hate them, you still have to admire their impressive strengths.

Oct 5, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

A non beleiver is among us. I seldom go overboard, sir.. It is I who insist that in the grand sceheme of things, the 880s /650/sa5000/701s/ are mid fi cans in Hi end clothing. .

agree with you.
I have no experience with the hi end headphone,but I've already heard all of the above (except sa5000).And they haven't impressed me in the way I think they should do me.I still love hearing my music more with my hi fi system (amp loudspeakers...).
The reason I have been interrested in the headphones,is that I want an alternative of listening but no of the above has satisfied me.
I've heard Stax systems are quite nice but they are pricy(I donn't believe that the cheaper one will be any better than 701 with proper amp)
After all your comments
biggrin.gif
bout DT48 I think I will try them.(It's not too pricy.).I hope they are good cans for Jazz,ambien,Folk(singer songwriter guitar player) ???? It's a question to you Kool bubba.
I have now a pair of DT880 even though I will not say that they are bad in the Genres above(I will not talk bout Rock and RnB) but If DT48 is a big improvement.It will be great for me

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agree with you.
I have no experience with the hi end headphone,but I've already heard all of the above (except sa5000).And they haven't impressed me in the way I think they should do me.I still love hearing my music more with my hi fi system (amp loudspeakers...).
The reason I have been interrested in the headphones,is that I want an alternative of listening but no of the above has satisfied me.
I've heard Stax systems are quite nice but they are pricy(I donn't believe that the cheaper one will be any better than 701 with proper amp)
After all your comments
biggrin.gif
bout DT48 I think I will try them.(It's not too pricy.).I hope they are good cans for Jazz,ambien,Folk(singer songwriter guitar player) ???? It's a question to you Kool bubba.
I have now a pair of DT880 even though I will not say that they are bad in the Genres above(I will not talk bout Rock and RnB) but If DT48 is a big improvement.It will be great for me

A owner said the 48's make the 880's sound veiled. The amount of detail trashes the 880's.. They excel with jazz, heavy vocals, acoustics, classical.. They are decent with other genres too.. If you want no colorization, I'd get these.. They just sound real & natural. But the sound might not be for you. The bass 100% depends on the source. These have little bass impact by nature, but a good source with booming bass does help a bit.. & these are the anti-grado.. Very neutral sounding, as these were not made to sound 'pleasant', but made for fidelity & accuracy.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

So i'm a sheep? Or others are sheep if they take my recommendation. 48s FOTM. Lame. They will never be FOTM headphones Only 4 people on this board have them. Theres almost zero talk about them. The majority have no clue what they are. No large fan base to drive then. They look like headphones from the 50's. Only a few select online vendors sell them. They are genre specific. Nice try though.
Forgot about the muli-quote function. Sorry.

I said no such thing. Stop being sensitive and reactionary and defensive.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I'd even put the Grado SR225 and JVC DX1000 on that list.

Cool. Either way, the DX1000 looks the part. A very respected member here told me they sound like 400 headphones. Won't post his name. Was just a casual PM conversation.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #40 of 52
Lots of different reasons I would say:
* Limited edition (only meant to be produced in a set number of units).
* Machines worn out.
* Craftsmen retire/quit.
* Bad revenue.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #41 of 52
taken from SGHeadphones

"First up is the legendary DT-48. Despite its impressive historical background, I find the 48s are not meant for music and more applicable (as specified by manufacturer) for ENG purposes ie, voice monitoring. It's presentation of speech and piano is very natural, smooth and accurate but beyond this aural bandwdth, everything else is muted. There is no treble and bass extensions and even mid-bass is not present. Graphically, the frequency response simply rolls off outside the lower-upper mid range. Henceforth, this pair of cans is dropped from the test."

Taken from audioreview.com
"I've used BeyerDynamic DT48 headphones since 1980 for ENG recording and for enjoyment in more than 40 countries; from Iran to Tahiti. There is NO more rugged headphone in existence. A DT 48 shows only cosmetic damage from being run over by an automobile (as might be expected since each case is machined aluminum with a screw-on cap.) In the unlikely circumstance that the functionality be impaired, BeyerDynamic can rebuild the DT 48. The only repairs my DT48s have ever needed are replacement cables and replacement earpads. The isolation afforded by the optional over-the-ear pads is surperb. The response of the DT48s is FLAT. What you hear is what you get (if the recorder is up to the task.) The purpose of a DT48 is fidelity, NOT a 'pleasant' sound. At the current price (~ $400 US as of 2008) this is a choice for the professional recordist or the enthuasiast (or anyone who values never needing to buy a replacement.)"

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSundays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
taken from SGHeadphones

"First up is the legendary DT-48. Despite its impressive historical background, I find the 48s are not meant for music and more applicable (as specified by manufacturer) for ENG purposes ie, voice monitoring. It's presentation of speech and piano is very natural, smooth and accurate but beyond this aural bandwdth, everything else is muted. There is no treble and bass extensions and even mid-bass is not present. Graphically, the frequency response simply rolls off outside the lower-upper mid range. Henceforth, this pair of cans is dropped from the test."

Thanks for the info. These have now dropped a few rungs on my want to hear list.

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSundays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
taken from SGHeadphones

Taken from audioreview.com
"I've used BeyerDynamic DT48 headphones since 1980 for ENG recording and for enjoyment in more than 40 countries; from Iran to Tahiti. There is NO more rugged headphone in existence. A DT 48 shows only cosmetic damage from being run over by an automobile (as might be expected since each case is machined aluminum with a screw-on cap.) In the unlikely circumstance that the functionality be impaired, BeyerDynamic can rebuild the DT 48. The only repairs my DT48s have ever needed are replacement cables and replacement earpads. The isolation afforded by the optional over-the-ear pads is surperb. The response of the DT48s is FLAT. What you hear is what you get (if the recorder is up to the task.) The purpose of a DT48 is fidelity, NOT a 'pleasant' sound. At the current price (~ $400 US as of 2008) this is a choice for the professional recordist or the enthuasiast (or anyone who values never needing to buy a replacement.)"

The E models are made for music application. If you are trying to discredit the 48, you are not doing a good job at it. I think most people understand that the A models are not meant for music. You should actually try a pair instead copy/paste reviews to help support your premise.

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. These have now dropped a few rungs on my want to hear list.

Too bad. So off one review they dropped off a few rungs? Sorry, if I seem defensive. It seems no one wants to give these cans a fair shot. & get snubbed as hype. & he probably meant the E models..

If I decided on what cans to get I never would have gotten my SA5000.. Too 'bright'. bass sucks. Wonky midgrange. Too lean..

Oct 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #45 of 52
I get what you are saying with regards to trying new headphones and the SA5000, and I completely agree, however that review was rather harsh, would you agree? It doesn't sound as though the DT48 is a very musical headphone. If that is the case, then that's not going to be interpreted as a good thing by my ears.

I do still want to hear it, as I'm willing to give any headphone a fair shot, however I imagine if they were anywhere near as good as you have found them to be, wouldn't there be more than a handful of owners in our community of headphone enthusiasts? I'm not doubting that they are impressive and that you are thoroughly enjoying them, but have you had long term ownership of the HE90/R10/Qualia/SR-Omega etc. in the past to justify making the insinuations you have that they could possibly be in their league?

In other words, if a $400 headphone was actually on, or near, the same level as headphones currently selling for $6000-10,000 then wouldn't we have heard more about it by now? JAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back