why do these setups sound so mediocre?
Dec 6, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #61 of 85
Any one of those would probably be fine as they can both do 24/96 and are so much better than straight out of your laptop. I would start with something like those. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #62 of 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielghofrani /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well, the AD700s are not exactly bass head.
What I do need most is accuracy, transparency and detail.
for example in the prelude to "Rigoletto" by Verdi, all I hear is scratch and noise in the climactic parts (not clean, intense, sound).

If you are truly hearing scratch and noise in a high quality recording with the SRH840s I'd say something is definitely amiss in the upstream signal path.  Sounds like the amp is running out of juice and distorting badly (the musical climax would be where this would most likely happen as the sound volume, and hence current draw, would be greatest).  If this is the primary problem that you are experiencing, I'd recommend trying the cans again, but fed by a decent dac (I use an Musical Fidelity V-Dac) and amp (mine is an Audiotailor Jade vacuum tube amp, but  a Matrix M-Stage solid state amp might also pair well with the SRH840s though I haven't heard that combo).  I know you might not have access to tons of gear, but if you can, try the 840s with a lot of current behind them and see if that changes the game at all.  In my experience it is usually a high current amp that will give an effortless, powerful feel to the sound.

Hope this helps!

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #63 of 85

Quote:
Quote:

for example in the prelude to "Rigoletto" by Verdi, all I hear is scratch and noise in the climactic parts (not clean, intense, sound).

If you are truly hearing scratch and noise in a high quality recording with the SRH840s I'd say something is definitely amiss in the upstream signal path.  Sounds like the amp is running out of juice and distorting badly (the musical climax would be where this would most likely happen as the sound volume, and hence current draw, would be greatest).  If this is the primary problem that you are experiencing, I'd recommend trying the cans again, but fed by a decent dac (I use an Musical Fidelity V-Dac) and amp (mine is an Audiotailor Jade vacuum tube amp, but  a Matrix M-Stage solid state amp might also pair well with the SRH840s though I haven't heard that combo).  I know you might not have access to tons of gear, but if you can, try the 840s with a lot of current behind them and see if that changes the game at all.  In my experience it is usually a high current amp that will give an effortless, powerful feel to the sound.

Hope this helps!

Thank you :) that makes a lot of sense. unfortunately though I do not have immidiate access to a dac or amp!  the headphones were my friends. but your point about the current and my little flimsy laptop amp being overwhelmed is quite logical.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #64 of 85
I haven't seen any in Ontario, but there were a few meets in Toronto where people brought along their gear for everyone to try.  These are the most effective way to try out different headphones and equipment.

As for not being wowed by cheap gear, what usually happens is that someone plugging a pair of bad headphones into their onboard sound, buy something <$200 and the improvement over the utterly crap built-in sound wows them. When I did this at first, I wasn't listening to as much jazz and classical as I do now.  Some of their "wow" has to do with greater bass or a different but more pleasing overall tone. Like Uncle Erik wrote, people such as us who are interested in instruments sounding detailed and natural, this gear just doesn't cut it. With much low-end gear, the overall tone isn't neutral, as it's just not possible to make cheap amps and DACs that have very low distortion, so they are coloured instead, with increased bass or a rolled-off treble. Some people report cheap amps as sounding more mid-forward (weak bass and rolled-off treble to hide the distortion), which is a sign that they are have an insufficient power supply to drive headphones well at loud volumes. You will also notice with headphones that the soundstage (or "headstage") is narrower than it should be, as if you are seated further back in the hall than you should be, or the studio/hall should give the impression of being larger.  Cheap pro-audio gear is voiced to be neutral, but with all the distortion is fatiguing to listen with.

This is why you will find a lot of high-end gear has substantial power supplies built in, both to have enough reservers for the rapidly changing audio signals and also to remove distortion from the wall power. Aside from the fact that you are paying, with brand-name gear, for fancy cases, boxes and their advertising budget, if better higher-end equipment (not fancy-case-with-crap-inside stuff) is more expensive, it's because you're getting physically more gear with better components that results in lower distortion and a more detailed, natural sound.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #65 of 85
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Thank you :) that makes a lot of sense. unfortunately though I do not have immidiate access to a dac or amp!  the headphones were my friends. but your point about the current and my little flimsy laptop amp being overwhelmed is quite logical.

You are making it hard on your self. Use a CD of a good or favourite recording in you 'normal' HiFi system and plug the headphones into you headphone out of the amplifier, be it of the integrated amplifier/receiver or integrated CD-player. 

If you do not have such a 'normal HiFi system' just get you hands on a good integrated CD-player with a good built in amp with a good and clean headphone out. These things can be found very cheap and are great test rigs. More importantly do not get hung up on the 16 bit is bad idea, if it sounds good it is good and I still prefer my 16 bit DAC. (Maybe later I will find that awesome knock out DAC.) Later you can add an amplifier and possibly a DAC with multiple connections (including PC) and you are set. 

My CD690 only cost me 20 euros and is the best HiFi gamble I ever made. Integrated systems are often underestimated on Head-Fi while separate components sometimes get all the credit. With any luck I will have an integrated Sansui amplifier soon.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #66 of 85

Quote:
Just be happy that cheap earbuds sound good to you. If you are not hearing a difference there is no need to keep searching.

^^^this guy right here!

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #67 of 85

Quote:
I haven't seen any in Ontario, but there were a few meets in Toronto where people brought along their gear for everyone to try.  These are the most effective way to try out different headphones and equipment.

As for not being wowed by cheap gear, what usually happens is that someone plugging a pair of bad headphones into their onboard sound, buy something <$200 and the improvement over the utterly crap built-in sound wows them. When I did this at first, I wasn't listening to as much jazz and classical as I do now.  Some of their "wow" has to do with greater bass or a different but more pleasing overall tone. Like Uncle Erik wrote, people such as us who are interested in instruments sounding detailed and natural, this gear just doesn't cut it. With much low-end gear, the overall tone isn't neutral, as it's just not possible to make cheap amps and DACs that have very low distortion, so they are coloured instead, with increased bass or a rolled-off treble. Some people report cheap amps as sounding more mid-forward (weak bass and rolled-off treble to hide the distortion), which is a sign that they are have an insufficient power supply to drive headphones well at loud volumes. You will also notice with headphones that the soundstage (or "headstage") is narrower than it should be, as if you are seated further back in the hall than you should be, or the studio/hall should give the impression of being larger.  Cheap pro-audio gear is voiced to be neutral, but with all the distortion is fatiguing to listen with.

This is why you will find a lot of high-end gear has substantial power supplies built in, both to have enough reservers for the rapidly changing audio signals and also to remove distortion from the wall power. Aside from the fact that you are paying, with brand-name gear, for fancy cases, boxes and their advertising budget, if better higher-end equipment (not fancy-case-with-crap-inside stuff) is more expensive, it's because you're getting physically more gear with better components that results in lower distortion and a more detailed, natural sound.

your words of wisdom are much appreciated.
I am going to save some money and invest in a real set of devices. it is counter intuitive for me to spend some money on something I will want to get rid of soon enough.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #68 of 85

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!

You are making it hard on your self. Use a CD of a good or favourite recording in you 'normal' HiFi system and plug the headphones into you headphone out of the amplifier, be it of the integrated amplifier/receiver or integrated CD-player. 

If you do not have such a 'normal HiFi system' just get you hands on a good integrated CD-player with a good built in amp with a good and clean headphone out. These things can be found very cheap and are great test rigs. More importantly do not get hung up on the 16 bit is bad idea, if it sounds good it is good and I still prefer my 16 bit DAC. (Maybe later I will find that awesome knock out DAC.) Later you can add an amplifier and possibly a DAC with multiple connections (including PC) and you are set. 

My CD690 only cost me 20 euros and is the best HiFi gamble I ever made. Integrated systems are often underestimated on Head-Fi while separate components sometimes get all the credit. With any luck I will have an integrated Sansui amplifier soon.

That is true, however if you read my previous posts, I mentioned several times that I am not intereseted in burning my music to disks.
it is much more convenient to keep the music on the hard drive rather than burn all of them to disks.

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #69 of 85
There is nothing wrong with having some critical listening/test albums on CD. Besides, some albums are worth having on CD or vinyl. A small integrated system is also handy as a burn in station as sometimes burn in is needed. 

Good luck though...

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #70 of 85

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having some critical listening/test albums on CD. Besides, some albums are worth having on CD or vinyl. A small integrated system is also handy as a burn in station as sometimes burn in is needed. 

Good luck though...

Thanks Deep Funk, you have taught me a lot in this thread.
what do you mean by burn in station?!

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #71 of 85
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck though...

Thanks Deep Funk, you have taught me a lot in this thread.
what do you mean by burn in station?!

Burn in station: in my current situation an integrated CD-player (another CD690) is in use as a burn in device for new to test headphones. I have one coming in this week. (Hopefully this madness will stop.) The other CD690 is in use as my listening station. With one separate integrated CD-player you can spare the laptop and use it for enjoying your music and whatever is on your mind while the burn in station is burning in your headphone or experimental set up. Of course burn in is subjective. In my experience burn in did not always had effect.

I just find it handy to use two set ups separately. Piling all the tasks on one set up/station as in your PC can be annoying at times. I am still searching for my ideal listening set up so one separate set up is quite handy while experimenting what I like the best. Enough of this, Maceo Parker is invading my ears...  

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #72 of 85
There are quite a few of us in Ontario--depending where you are there might be someone close by that can get you listening to some different gear.

I'd consider taking a look at some orthos as well--if you're looking for a more natural, effortless midrange, they have a lot to offer.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #73 of 85

Quote:
There are quite a few of us in Ontario--depending where you are there might be someone close by that can get you listening to some different gear.

I'd consider taking a look at some orthos as well--if you're looking for a more natural, effortless midrange, they have a lot to offer.

Awesome! :) I live in Waterloo. are any meetings held here?
I wish university of waterloo (26000 population) had a headfi club.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #74 of 85
I'm in Waterloo, and we've talked a few times about having a small meet, perhaps even on campus.  We need to get discussions going on that again at some point.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #75 of 85

Quote:
I'm in Waterloo, and we've talked a few times about having a small meet, perhaps even on campus.  We need to get discussions going on that again at some point.

SWEEET! :)
Actually I know a friend who will be happy to come as well! please give me a shout!! Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back