Why do small headphones sound bad?
Jun 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
How about the Yuin G2A clip-on earphones? They have a very open sound and sound great even when played at a low volume. They do not isolate at all, and will probably leak some sound if you play too loud.

They have a hook just as the B&O, but after putting the hook behind your ears, the drivers just rest on your ears. Easy to put in place and great sound at low volumes. What more could you ask for?

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2009/11/17/yuin-g2a-headphone-in-review/

http://reviewstash.com/viewtopic.php?id=1181

Hmm. I guess I should ask my boss first if the size is acceptable.
biggrin.gif

Nice reviews. But maybe they are too cheap for what I'm looking for? In my experience things cost as much as they can, so maybe they are no match for the MX980, which supposedly are on par with the top model from Yuin according to the impressions I have read here so far. So if the G2A were just as good, they should cost the same... right?

Jun 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 28
I'm an earbud guy, and I own the MX980. It is my favorite earbud overall, even if I like vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds (you can sometimes find them on Ebay - amazing sound for something that's 20-30 years old).

I also own Audio Technica ES 7 & 10 and Sennheiser HD25 1:II. While the ATH ES10 and Sennheiser HD25 sounds better overall than the Yuin G2A, I'm always amazed at how great the G2A sounds when I use it. It isn't the most detailed earphone, but so very smooth and musical. I have some ultra portable headphones, such as Sennheiser PX100 and AKG K420 and I used to own Jays V-Jays, and I think that the G2A sounds better than all of them (the same can be said about my other clip-on earphones, Pioneer SE-EX9).

I just mean that sometimes you can get great sound for a low price. I'm sure that the G2A doesn't sound as good as your Beyer headphones, but the bigger drivers might make it sound better than the MX880. Still, if you want to give the MX980 a go, you should do it, it is an earbud that sounds great. Some people have  some issues with the MX980 when it comes to the fit. They are a bit too big. I have removed the rubber ring around them and put foams on them and the fit is okay. Not as good as my Yuin PK2, but good enough.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #18 of 28
I'm leaning most to the MX980's, with the G2A's second in line. If they larger Sennheisers sound good, then they are the best of both worlds.

But it is a bit frustrating that I have to buy and sell so many headphones untill I find a solution which works for me. I thought it would be easy since even the most expensive models are within my means, but it is not really a question of price.  

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
But it is a bit frustrating that I have to buy and sell so many headphones untill I find a solution which works for me.

100% agreed!

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 28
You can always tell your boss that being in the zone (a.k.a. having a tight seal) helps you get more work done - but that you can always slow down a bit if he prefers that.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #24 of 28
Exactly!  I know from personal experience that said line delivers positive results.  Hooked on headphones worked for me.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
No, I can't slow down more. He'll notice my snoring then
wink_face.gif

a.k.a. an ancient rhythmic deep breathing technique that facitates oxygen exchange to improve concentration and focus.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 28
I own MX 980 and it's very good. However the price/performance ratio is not justified. You're like buying them them for the sake of having the best earbuds there is. You can't hear micro details with them like with good IEMs or headphones for the same price. I'd rather buy GR 07 than the MX 980 if sound quality is the main concern. It however sounds very good for an earbuds. You'll be amazed how the low-end responds on EQ, sometimes they scare me for having that big sound that my instinct tells me unattainable for such small drivers. They're very cool! :) Also, very durable.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
I own MX 980 and it's very good. However the price/performance ratio is not justified. You're like buying them them for the sake of having the best earbuds there is. You can't hear micro details with them like with good IEMs or headphones for the same price. I'd rather buy GR 07 than the MX 980 if sound quality is the main concern. It however sounds very good for an earbuds. You'll be amazed how the low-end responds on EQ, sometimes they scare me for having that big sound that my instinct tells me unattainable for such small drivers. They're very cool! :) Also, very durable.

Yeah, I was afraid of something like that. They would have to be a lot better than MX880 for me to be satisfied. In the mean time, I have reverted to the JVC FX700 in ears, because they didn't sell as fast as I had expected and also because I lost the desire to listen to music using the MX880. The JVC's are what I'm looking for sound quality wise. I still don't think they are as good as the DT880's, but they are close enough, and judged on their own I think they sound quite good. They still isolate more than what I could wish for, but if it is a choice between isolation and sound quality, I have to choose sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
  And I can still hear enough of the background talk to know when I need to pull them out of my ears. 

I just have to decide if I'm willing to spend the extra cash on a Fiio E10. From what I can read, there might not be such a great improvement in SQ, but at least I'll get rid of the internal noise from the laptop. It just annoys me that I have to spend money because the company gave me a crappy laptop. Or I need to bring my Ipod to work instead... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back