Why do people steal things? (not a rant)
Apr 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What disgusts me more is corporate pigs stealing mom&dad/grandma-grandpa investors' money.

And you wonder why the common thief is over looked. Better yet, how about the medical industry in this country. Charging 250 dollars for an inhaler people need to live and in Cuba its about 3 dollars. I just had my shoulder scoped, if I had paid the bill it would have been 26,000 dollars. Aetna paid 5600. Makes me sick the way the Government has let Corprate America treat the people.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What disgusts me more is corporate pigs stealing mom&dad/grandma-grandpa investors' money.

To be fair, most people who lose there money think they've managed to break the risk return relationship. A good friend of mine is a financial planner, and he constantly gets told he is an idiot as people find investements that they can get a 14% return on. Yet when he explains that there is a very good chance that you wont get there money back they don't want to hear it. Or don't believe him. either way, some people deserve what they get. It easy to point the finger at others, but not so much when its your own fault.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 46
Because they want the item, and either can't afford or don't prioritize to buy it.
I am sure some does it just for the trill as well. It makes them happy!

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #22 of 46
He took it and later told you about it because he knew you wouldn't retaliate.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #23 of 46
When I was really young I would steal candy from convenience stores.

I really like candy.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 46
A couple more reasons:

1. It's a rush to do something you know is wrong and get away with it. Suppose that compliments intelligence and ego. The same thing comes into play for other stuff you shouldn't do, like the occasional recreational drug or maybe having sex where you might get caught. I don't steal. No comment on other activities that might provide a rush.

2. Disaffection with the party being stolen from. At the office, we're slightly underpaid compared to other offices. There are things that make up for that, but some people are bitter. So many things go missing around here - my take is that people think they're making up for what they deserve as well as making the tight-fisted pay more whether they want to or not. That's wrong. I stick around for the culture and other benefits, but will eventually leave for more pay (assuming the economy recovers in my lifetime
tongue.gif
) and won't be shy about the fact in the exi interview.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so lately, ive just been curious as to why do people intentionally steal things? i wouldnt necessarily count something u found on the ground and have no clue to who it belongs stealing. is it for them to see the other person frustrated or angered? does stealing things make them feel good? is it fun to intentionally steal things or something?

for big items and high priced things, ok, i KIND OF get why someone would steal. but this one i just dont understand...ill try to say it in the most non-rant way possible cuz im not really angry about this anymore

so recently, in class, i get up to ask the teacher a question at her desk, when i come back, i realized my eraser is gone. i really liked this eraser, it worked really well. i ask around, no one says anything. a week or two later, this kid a year older than me goes "oh yea, by the way, i stole ur eraser". after he told me that, he brought back some feelings i felt a few weeks ago when i found out it was missing, i kinda wish he never told me. i just kind of played it off cool like umm ok yea whatever, it was an eraser. i dont even know this guy well, i rarely talk to this guy. and he never gave me back my eraser..

i just dont get why he would steal my eraser, it was an ordinary eraser, just why would someone do that?

i dont think i was angry/frustrated because my eraser was gone, i think i was angry/frustrated because someone actually intentionally stole it.

so i just wanted to hear what u guys had to say about why people steal things.

hopefully what i wrote doesnt sound like a rant, i hope not, it wasnt meant to be.

It will come back to him.. This guy stole a tape of mine in 85.. In 87 my friend stole over a 100.00 bucks worth of base ball cards he had in his binder. Can't say I feel too bad. Work is theft city. Constantly food stealing.. Imagine, people you call friends & work with frick you over the most.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple more reasons:

1. It's a rush to do something you know is wrong and get away with it. Suppose that compliments intelligence and ego. The same thing comes into play for other stuff you shouldn't do, like the occasional recreational drug or maybe having sex where you might get caught. I don't steal. No comment on other activities that might provide a rush.

2. Disaffection with the party being stolen from. At the office, we're slightly underpaid compared to other offices. There are things that make up for that, but some people are bitter. So many things go missing around here - my take is that people think they're making up for what they deserve as well as making the tight-fisted pay more whether they want to or not. That's wrong. I stick around for the culture and other benefits, but will eventually leave for more pay (assuming the economy recovers in my lifetime
tongue.gif
) and won't be shy about the fact in the exi interview.

Groping each other in front of apple bees isn't too bad if it's late..

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it happens because we live in an inherently selfish society, we train people how to be selfish and to screw over others. its about power and control, "i do it becasue i want to exert my superiority over you."

sad but this is the world we live in

Sorry, I must have missed that class.. Screws others over? Umm.. No.. Most people are not like that. I'm not. This guy at Lucky's gave me back 82.00.. I gave him a 20.00. He thought I gave him a 100.00. I informed him of the mistake. He was very grateful I told him. To me, that could have cost him is job.. My friend has the mind set of, they can afford it. Who cares.. Better you get over on them, then they get over on you mentality. There is a little thing called right & wrong here. It goes beyond who has more money. So mugging a Mcdonalds employee is wrong, but mugging a millionaire gets hi fives?

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #29 of 46
Original sin. We're all born with it. We all do bad things, although stealing stuff might not be one of them, it's something that some people do and merely a fact of life.

This is why I hide razor blades around the edges of all of my valuable electronics like speakers and amps and such. If someone wants to rob me, I want to have blood samples!

No, I'm just kidding. That's what alarm systems, video monitors, and property insurance are for. Take pics and videos of anything valuable, and document your purchase prices and serial numbers.

But it would be nice if their fingers got cut off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back