Why do people steal things? (not a rant)
Apr 20, 2009 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

my.self

500+ Head-Fier
so lately, ive just been curious as to why do people intentionally steal things? i wouldnt necessarily count something u found on the ground and have no clue to who it belongs stealing. is it for them to see the other person frustrated or angered? does stealing things make them feel good? is it fun to intentionally steal things or something?

for big items and high priced things, ok, i KIND OF get why someone would steal. but this one i just dont understand...ill try to say it in the most non-rant way possible cuz im not really angry about this anymore

so recently, in class, i get up to ask the teacher a question at her desk, when i come back, i realized my eraser is gone. i really liked this eraser, it worked really well. i ask around, no one says anything. a week or two later, this kid a year older than me goes "oh yea, by the way, i stole ur eraser". after he told me that, he brought back some feelings i felt a few weeks ago when i found out it was missing, i kinda wish he never told me. i just kind of played it off cool like umm ok yea whatever, it was an eraser. i dont even know this guy well, i rarely talk to this guy. and he never gave me back my eraser..

i just dont get why he would steal my eraser, it was an ordinary eraser, just why would someone do that?

i dont think i was angry/frustrated because my eraser was gone, i think i was angry/frustrated because someone actually intentionally stole it.

so i just wanted to hear what u guys had to say about why people steal things.

hopefully what i wrote doesnt sound like a rant, i hope not, it wasnt meant to be.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 46
I don't understand why one person steals from another, but since I've been traveling for work I can see that it definitely happens (duh, but I'd never seen it in person to this extent). I lost at least 15 DVDs in S Sioux City at a hotel I was staying at for work. Needless to say, I don't allow housekeeping in my suites anymore.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 46
My vote would generally be it makes them fell as if they have some level of power (at least in casses such as the OP put foward).

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 46
Yeah, I went to my Chemistry review and left with my most expensive item being "lifted" from me. Two weeks earlier for christmas I had gotten a new PDA that had a camera, wifi, etc. among many other things. It was just soo sad because I had just gotten it and spent all of my giftcards to get a 4GB memory card in january 2006 when that was pretty darn big.

People steal. Even people with moeny steal. because tehy want what you have now and they don't want to pay for it or really go to the trouble of getting it. Your stuff commes to them free...just not guilt free.

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I went to my Chemistry review and left with my most expensive item being "lifted" from me. Two weeks earlier for christmas I had gotten a new PDA that had a camera, wifi, etc. among many other things. It was just soo sad because I had just gotten it and spent all of my giftcards to get a 4GB memory card in january 2006 when that was pretty darn big.

People steal. Even people with moeny steal. because tehy want what you have now and they don't want to pay for it or really go to the trouble of getting it. Your stuff commes to them free...just not guilt free.

I agree, I just wish guilt would affect them more. (awaiting for uncalled-for rebuttal elsewhere)

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because they want it.

That is the only explanation, really. Sad, but true.

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the only explanation, really. Sad, but true.

Not necessarily. I went on a klepto stint for a while in high school, stealing various things from various stores. Most of the time, though, I didn't necessarily need, or even want whatever I was stealing. I just got a rush out of it I guess.

Don't worry, though: my first year of college, I realized the error of my ways and returned to all of the places I stole from with check book in hand... haven't stole so much as a dime since then.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 46
People do things that are a reflection of their own feeling about themselves. The way people treat others expresses how they really feel about themselves. It's possible to see this in yourself with some degree of introspection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back