Why do people steal things? (not a rant)
Apr 20, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you wonder why the common thief is over looked. Better yet, how about the medical industry in this country. Charging 250 dollars for an inhaler people need to live and in Cuba its about 3 dollars. I just had my shoulder scoped, if I had paid the bill it would have been 26,000 dollars. Aetna paid 5600. Makes me sick the way the Government has let Corprate America treat the people.

i agree but try not to use examples from Micheal Moore movies...

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #34 of 46
lot's of it is probably personal gain, but also freedom from authority?

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 46
I hate it when things just disappear...I had a nice engraved zippo lighter my GF got me and it just went poof...evaporated. (last seen on the end table at my home) I have no clue where it went.

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original sin. We're all born with it. We all do bad things, although stealing stuff might not be one of them, it's something that some people do and merely a fact of life.

This is why I hide razor blades around the edges of all of my valuable electronics like speakers and amps and such. If someone wants to rob me, I want to have blood samples!

No, I'm just kidding. That's what alarm systems, video monitors, and property insurance are for. Take pics and videos of anything valuable, and document your purchase prices and serial numbers.

But it would be nice if their fingers got cut off!

Dude, you've just given me a new idea for a security system. I'll keep the razor blades but will also have an axe or two flying around thrown in there just for fun.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #37 of 46
Excellent points Mcmanus!! Back in the day we used to tape razor blades around the chassis of our car stereo head units...YES...nothing like a good laceration through the finger tendons and down to the bone to slow down a car stereo thievin low-life punk!! Get some!

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thrill of the chase? Much like cheating in highschool...

Meh, whenever I did that it wasn't out of thrill seeking. It was as I had finished and was bored. In my I looked at what others had done to see what other people had answered (though I can't remember ever changing my own answer as a result).

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh, whenever I did that it wasn't out of thrill seeking. It was i'd finished and was bored and wanted to see what other people had answered (though I can't remember ever changing my own answer as a result).

edited.

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edited.

English was clearly my number one subject.
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #42 of 46
I got one for you....A few weeks ago my wife and I were leaving our house on a saturday morning to do some yard sale action and this dude asks if we had some gas to spare because he just ran out after working all night. I told him sure and got the gas can out of my shed with maybe 2 gallons in it (5 gallon can). He offered me a couple bucks for the gas and I told him no...just a neighborly thing to do. I asked him to just set the can back in my yard after he gets what he needs. I saw him at the end of my street putting the gas in his truck as we left. And of course, when we got home ....no gas can! I can afford the loss but sadly the one that really loses is the next person that needs help. I have seen the truck and copied the plate number down and have access to discover the address. I am 50 yrs old and 10 or 15 yrs ago I would get that can back and more with the help of a louisville slugger....but now I just feel sorry for the "dude"

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original sin. We're all born with it. We all do bad things, although stealing stuff might not be one of them, it's something that some people do and merely a fact of life.

This is why I hide razor blades around the edges of all of my valuable electronics like speakers and amps and such. If someone wants to rob me, I want to have blood samples!

No, I'm just kidding. That's what alarm systems, video monitors, and property insurance are for. Take pics and videos of anything valuable, and document your purchase prices and serial numbers.

But it would be nice if their fingers got cut off!

I think you actually nailed it.. There's really no consequence for stealing if you are not a adult. & even then, adults steal cause there is no real punishment, minus millions of dollar type theft.. If the new law was, steal & lose a hand.. Watch theft go down to nil. Or better yet.. Make them wear a shirt that says, watch your wallet, I been convicted of theft..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back