Why are the PS1000e so underrated?!
Jun 30, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #32 of 53
  Is the cable replaceable on the ps1000e? I need a balanced cable with 3.5mm TRRS termination. If not, perhaps I can always re-terminate the cable.

If you can solder...then yes. If you can't, then no.  :wink:

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #33 of 53
I just got the rs2e and im curious how much of an upgrade the ps1000e will be? Will i like it? Does it sound completely different?

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #34 of 53
Can't say whether you will like them....but most listeners I've shared mine with have been amazed, and when I listen to music, I'm just stuck to it.  There is a Grado house sound, basic musical values, and I had your very headphones, which were smaller, less resolving (but great for the not-so-cheap price), but still with great mid-range presence, definition, "you are there" quality. The PS1000e are almost unreal in how much they put across, no sweetening but great expression of musical flavors, attack and delay, BASS resolution - no bloom, just the intrinsic tonality of instruments that tend, in other systems, to be just a throb in the mix.  Some people want more upper-bass hump, thinking that is "good" bass. Bad recordings and bad equipment can't hide, and yet there is nothing wrong in the Grado that accentuates flaws, so you can still enjoy the music. They're expensive but close or less so than most of their competition, and they are my favorites.  BTW - the GS2000e is damned satisfying, though a little short in sheer massive solidity to the sound but only by comparison. If you can audition a pair presented properly, go for it. And if you can get quality electronics and better than MP3 quality recordings, (Schiit makes the stuff Grado themselves use, and as veterans of ultra-high-end companies, they make true high-end stuff at several price points but without the inflated connoisseur  prices of some cost-no-object-but-who-cares stuff) then it may be worth it to you. Was for me.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #35 of 53
So the ps1000e has more resolution because of the better cables and there is a upper mid bass hump? My last memory of a phone with this hump was the orginal black monster turbines. It was a bass that was annoying and hard to ignore especially when the song didnt require it.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #36 of 53
No. No mid-bass hump at all - that's what I say - some people WANT more bc they think it means "bass". As for cables - they are carefully made, high-quality cables, but that is to be expected. Great, clean, well-defined, harmonically complete phones with great presence and rhythmic snap. That's the bottom line for me.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #37 of 53
  No. No mid-bass hump at all - that's what I say - some people WANT more bc they think it means "bass". As for cables - they are carefully made, high-quality cables, but that is to be expected. Great, clean, well-defined, harmonically complete phones with great presence and rhythmic snap. That's the bottom line for me.

It still has somewhat of a mid-bass hump, just not as much as the original PS1000 and I agree, this excessive mid-bass hump of their predecessors could bleed into the mids (not a good thing).

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #38 of 53
Mid-bass hump? Well, to each his own - literally no way to argue that. I have no freq respect chart in front of me. This is generally regarded to be one of the most transparent, lucidly defined headphones, with almost universally -described "lean" bass and crystal clear bass and mid tonality and attack, of any speaker, certainly any phone.  The leanness is actually one of the more common targets of complaint among those who have any gripe with the model. So, I have never heard  or read - among hundreds of reviews, anyone else who has described the newer model as having any audible hump at all. One way in which it is generally regarded to be a quite different from the original model. There is a strong uniformity of opinion among those who like them, who comprise a large majority of owner - and no other models have gotten as many "best I've ever heard" comments.  Doesn't mean they have to satisfy you - its just a pretty strong consensus, so the whole "under-rated" thing is confusing to me.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #42 of 53
Got a Grado PS1000e terminated to balanced (Moon Audio) since this weekend.
Pairing it on an RME Adi 2 pro.
Sounds really great! Really brings you so close to the music.
This is a lovely song (Marvin Gaye - I heard it to the Grapevine). Really nice bass!

May 25, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #43 of 53
Currently listening to my PS1000e - RME ADI 2 Dac - to Jotunheim sounds good!!

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #44 of 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back