Why are the PS1000e so underrated?!
May 19, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 53
I sure miss Grado. I had an SR325is that i destroyed when i tried to mod them, i highly regret it.
I tried Sennheisers (i owned HD 598 and now HD 380 Pro), and for me they always sounded dry and lifeless regardless of amp and recording. For my ears they lack the nuance of music, the visceral impact of the dynamics and naturalness in the midrange. There must be something behind John Grado's drivers that makes music so full of life and nuances, like if the mic is in front of you no matter the source.

Because of my experience and personal taste, henceforth i only want to give a try to another Grado and perhaps Stax. Grado because of their realism and musicality, and Stax because... there's must be something about them, i only heard good things about them and i can't not give them a try someday, hopefully.

Well, that is. Maybe i'd go with an RS2e or PS1000e for my ultimate headphone. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #17 of 53
  I don't understand that point of praising a pair of headphone...
Well if it's a new product then it's very normal for people talking about them.
But to me, the PS1000 has been around for quite a while, and they are well regarded by fans
The thing is, the sound signature is very unique. It's the brightest headphone I've ever heard. The sound is crisp and airy. Sound stage is large and resolution is good.
From OP's username I guess you like classical music? Me too! These cans are very good for big orchestral music. The brass and strings just sing with them. That's why the PS1000 is one of the top 3 favourite headphones I've heard (among LCD-X, and Beyer T1 that I own. They are all very nice headphones for classical music.)
To MOST of the people on this earth, they like pop/rock/metal etc. These cans are just too sharp and sibilant to them.  Of course they would love the bassy boom boom HD800. 
Your headphone being talked/appreciated a lot don't make it sounds any better than they already are.
If you like it, then it's a good thing. Just enjoy them. 

Agree since I'm a Classic fan (Symphonies and Violin concertos).

Would I need to change the original earcups and which others would increase the sealing ?

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 53
Funny how “subjective” (I dislike that word and concept) music and food are.  To me, after a lifetime of high-end audio and playing acoustic and electric instruments, the Grado’s sound like instruments in a good room, and the Sennheiser’s sound like electronic facsimiles - the latter being categories less musical, real, satisfying, accurate, than the Grados. Underrated? I read mostly enthusiastic raves about the Grados, and qualified admiration for the nicely manufactured and pretty good but synthetic sounding Sennheisers. I also have always found little correlation between various frequency tests and the verisimilitude of a component.  And, playing top notch files, DAC and amp with my Grados (the GS1000e and PS1000e) generally receive “holy s--t” reactions from guests while my various others have seldom elicited more than “nice!” and a change of topic. But I can’t fall back on arguments that go “clearly the other guy is a moron or deaf”.  Its all part of the mystery of experience. But my Grado Professionals are in another league, in my experience.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 53
Could never pay that much for headphone with Grado's build quality... almost same materials as used on their cheapest models almost.

I also find it hard to use my Grado 325is after using the dreamy Fidelio X2's... build quality, comfort, sound, the whole package.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #20 of 53
Wow  I’m wearing them now. And they’re exquisite, substantial, and precisely constructed, feeling like a real indulgence, though I’m not nuts about their headband. The sound of this jazz trio is amazing. But somehow, build is also a point of contention between people.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 53
  Could never pay that much for headphone with Grado's build quality... almost same materials as used on their cheapest models almost.

I also find it hard to use my Grado 325is after using the dreamy Fidelio X2's... build quality, comfort, sound, the whole package.

The 325is is my least favourite Grado....the new "e" versions are a little hit and miss. The RS1e is a big step in the wrong direction, while the PS1000e is a very nice refined version over the original.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #23 of 53

325is is my favourite, I've owned all RS1i and under :p

Really? I've owned the 325i and 325is and couldn't sell them fast enough. I've owned pretty much every Grado out there (PS1000e and down) as well FWIW. 
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 53

Really? I've owned the 325i and 325is and couldn't sell them fast enough. I've owned pretty much every Grado out there (PS1000e and down) as well FWIW. 
smile.gif

I owned a 325is chrome a few years back and sold them so quickly. I purchased one a few months ago and it sounds very smooth to me, not the harsh sound I was expecting. I actually find my MS2e to sound a bit harsher.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #25 of 53

I owned a 325is chrome a few years back and sold them so quickly. I purchased one a few months ago and it sounds very smooth to me, not the harsh sound I was expecting. I actually find my MS2e to sound a bit harsher.

Could be that Grado moving target?

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 53
Has anyone on this thread compared them with GS1000e?  I own a pair of these and they're my favorite 'phone by far.  I'm always wondering what the next step up will be like..

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #27 of 53
  Has anyone on this thread compared them with GS1000e?  I own a pair of these and they're my favorite 'phone by far.  I'm always wondering what the next step up will be like..

A better sense of location...treble that's a bit more controlled and yet more detailed and a deeper sub bass. But the GS1000e's are more comfortable due to their lighter weight. If you like your GS1000e's, you'll love the PS1000e's...but many own both.

Dec 25, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 53
Measurement.  If she weighs the same as a duck, she’s a witch. OK. I’m a brain doctor. And a musician. And published a good book on music and the structure, nature, processes and ontology of the musical mind. So you should believe me without question: Measurements as they exist in this millennium have NO correlation with the perception, response, and nature of music in the living mind. It is a way for the ego that can’t handle an experience without making “sense” (what irony!) of it to avoid anxiety. Oh, you can hear a measurable bass hump - that’s not what I mean, and if you don’t understand, I can’t help you, not for free, anyway.  It is not hard to design an “accurate” transducer, if you’re talking about the physics of sound, and you’re an electronic designer.  It is infinitely more difficult to design a transducer that is both pretty accurate AND gives lots of people the musical experience they respond to. In this regard, the PS1000e is dramatically better than the Sennheiser - categorically better - to the extent that the Grado is the exemplar of “headphone” and the Senn an acoustic delivery device but not a headphone even though it is marketed as one, and the Stax and Audeze are headphones most of the week, and have nice personalities if you avoid certain topics. I have never read a user or professional review that asserted the Sennheisers were more SATISFYING than the top Grados; Grado critics usually concede that they have a lot going for them. Also, Grados confound efforts to characterize them in commonly understood words.  This, to me, is proof that once you try to be analytical in your language, you get collective gibberish.  They are variously described as bright, warm, lush, present, vulgar, refined, accurate, inaccurate, bass-shy, bass-lean, bass-generous-subterranean, unbelievably articulate, idiosyncratic, perfect, they suck, they are the best speakers of any kind available in the world, overpriced....in the words of Frank Zappa, writing about music is like dancing about architecture.  And yet here we are, doing a lot of dancing about architecture. As someone who does so professionally and both thinks I have golden ears and also doesn’t take myself seriously much at all, I experience (hold onto that word and use it when you would otherwise use “think” or “believe”) these phones as the most satisfying and musically true device I have owned. And I have a lot of music-oriented debt. They are as good or better than my Koetsu Urushi cartridge or my Mom’s eggplant. Neither of which measures in a way that will tell you anything useful about how happy they will make you, and I defy any chemist to design better parmigiana than my mother, unless he’s also a really good cook and loves the people at the dinner table. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #30 of 53
I heard the PS1000 just the other day while auditioning the Audeze LCD series headphones for a second time. i auditioned the PS1000 and at a moments notice I knew they were right for me. I heard the Audeze headphones and am trying to figure what the fascination is with their headphones. i should be receiving a pair of te PS1000e next week. They shound much different compared to the Grado GS1000e, RS1i and the 325 that I own.

I alao found the PS1000 to have a similar sound to the Sennheiser HD800, however, I liked the PS1000 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back