Why are the PS1000e so underrated?!
Dec 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

GustavMahler

Flipping items bought from members on Audiogon.
Aka: GradoLove, Kamilion, opencan, TheBigMuse
They are so musical and full of life! I guess if you like numbers and graphs you may like the HD800, But if you like music the PS1000e is for you!
Please, PS1000e fans-Join me! And we shall glorify them in front of every head-fier! 
Seriously, Why? I would just wish they were designed better in terms of shape and comfort.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 53
I am not so sure these cans are underrated....they are a TOTL headphone

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 53
They're not much much more expensive than the HD800, And can you compare the praise of the HD800 to the PS1000e? The PS is far better and much much more musical and liflike than the boring, artificial and dry HD800 IMNHO. And i am playing in an orchestra, So i know how music is supposed to sound.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 53
I'm with you on this I've been  a grado fan for some time now and think their one of the finest sounding headphones available.. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 53
They tend to be too extreme for some people's tastes and less technically proficient than the HD-800s or Audeze planars. I do understand what you mean though, as I'm back listening with my Symphones Magnums (modified Grados no longer made, except for the drivers) and they are far more lively and entertaining. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 53
I pretty much agree with Amos. The HD800s are head above shoulders better technically speaking (and get more head time with me), but the PS1000e are still great headphones that may not be for all, but I really enjoy them. I find them a bit more balanced than the PS1000s with less of a mid bass hump and less harsh treble, but they're still Grado headphones and for that I really get a kick out of them.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 53
The ps1000e are a lot more musical. Music is for joy-And the HD800 are not really enjoyable (IMO), They are technically very good (Balance etc.). With the ps1000e you enjoy the music-At least i do. very much.
Can you recommend some brands other the Sennheiser, Grado, HifiMan and Audeze that i should autition? I want to explore all the sounds of different flagships/High end headphones before investing so much.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 53
What do they do better than the ps500e? Do they do anything worse?

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 53
The ps1000e are a lot more musical. Music is for joy-And the HD800 are not really enjoyable (IMO), They are technically very good (Balance etc.). With the ps1000e you enjoy the music-At least i do. very much.
Can you recommend some brands other the Sennheiser, Grado, HifiMan and Audeze that i should autition? I want to explore all the sounds of different flagships/High end headphones before investing so much.

Stax.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 53
I don't understand that point of praising a pair of headphone...
Well if it's a new product then it's very normal for people talking about them.
But to me, the PS1000 has been around for quite a while, and they are well regarded by fans
The thing is, the sound signature is very unique. It's the brightest headphone I've ever heard. The sound is crisp and airy. Sound stage is large and resolution is good.
From OP's username I guess you like classical music? Me too! These cans are very good for big orchestral music. The brass and strings just sing with them. That's why the PS1000 is one of the top 3 favourite headphones I've heard (among LCD-X, and Beyer T1 that I own. They are all very nice headphones for classical music.)
To MOST of the people on this earth, they like pop/rock/metal etc. These cans are just too sharp and sibilant to them.  Of course they would love the bassy boom boom HD800. 
Your headphone being talked/appreciated a lot don't make it sounds any better than they already are.
If you like it, then it's a good thing. Just enjoy them. 

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 53
  They're not much much more expensive than the HD800, And can you compare the praise of the HD800 to the PS1000e? The PS is far better and much much more musical and liflike than the boring, artificial and dry HD800 IMNHO. And i am playing in an orchestra, So i know how music is supposed to sound.

Because if I'm paying that much it better measure well (on its own, the PS1000 does - it's just that the HD800 measures a bit better). Not to mention that, if I were intending to use it for professional recording/monitoring as you do, you're supposed to get the most neutral one you can get. If you rely on the PS1000 for that and it still has as much of a peak at 100hz and somewhere in the treble as does whatever version was in Headphone.com's archive, then chances are you'd over compensate for those peaks (or dips whatever the case may be - that's why the smoothest curve is the next best thing to the flattest, at least this is relatively easier to EQ).

Also the imaging on the HD800 is just as important as tonality (note though that this doesn't invalidate the need for good monitor speakers) if you're using them at any point in the recording - you'll either totally ignore it or overcompensate (especially if you didn't use monitor speakers along with the headphones).

In any case the HD800 isn't actually as "dry" as they're usually known to be - I've used it many times with my Cantate.2 (a very dynamic amp with a relatively uncolored USB DAC) and it actually sounds richer and warmer than lower priced headphones typically used as monitors. It's just enough, or there isn't any boominess, which at times people like about speakers as warmth and added detail but is sometimes distortion or noise on the amps at louder output levels, or in some cases may even be reflections. 

May 9, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 53
  I don't understand that point of praising a pair of headphone...
Well if it's a new product then it's very normal for people talking about them.
But to me, the PS1000 has been around for quite a while, and they are well regarded by fans
The thing is, the sound signature is very unique. It's the brightest headphone I've ever heard. The sound is crisp and airy. Sound stage is large and resolution is good.
From OP's username I guess you like classical music? Me too! These cans are very good for big orchestral music. The brass and strings just sing with them. That's why the PS1000 is one of the top 3 favourite headphones I've heard (among LCD-X, and Beyer T1 that I own. They are all very nice headphones for classical music.)
To MOST of the people on this earth, they like pop/rock/metal etc. These cans are just too sharp and sibilant to them.  Of course they would love the bassy boom boom HD800. 
Your headphone being talked/appreciated a lot don't make it sounds any better than they already are.
If you like it, then it's a good thing. Just enjoy them. 

First off - to many, Grado headphones sound great with Rock and Metal!

On the second, strange comment considering the LCDX has more bass than them, and the PS1000 bass is much more fat and energetic. The HD800 are very far from boomy bass.

May 9, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 53
  what is the difference between PS1000 and PS1000e? By the way, some people say PS1000 is very heavy in terms of it weight. Is it also the case for PS1000e?

I never found the PS1000, or any Grado, heavy, but of course that's highly relative. I imagine those who would find them heavy do so vs, say, the plastic cups on the SR225 down.

If anything, personally with Grados its the cable that gives that sensation of weight in how they can have th tendency to pull the headphones downward (the way I wear them, which is somewhat tight, just rests the headband on my hair, but I bend them out of shape so no pressure on the flanks of my cranium). On the upside, that add to their reliability, and in some cases, those who mod them to use easily removable cables don't actually make them that much lighter when for example they put TRS jacks on each cup. Then they'd use cables that are only slightly lighter than the Grado cable, but then offset the weight savings with the two TRS plugs that go into each earcup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back