Why are super expensive closed back headphones created?
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #31 of 72
It's sort of like, why would a company put so much effort into a design that's inferior to begin with? All or most of the greatest headphones of all time are not closed, so it's strange that companies would use so much resources on them.
Nostoi has left the chat.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #32 of 72
I own a great closed back (Kennerton Rognir) and prefer it to the following headphone which I have owned. Audeze LCD4, ZMF Verite, Rosson Rad-0, Kennerton Thridi and Wodan, Meze Empyrean. The point is ….some closed backs are just as good as open backs.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #33 of 72
Yes, referring to semi-open, like Beyers?

No, closed ones like DT150, DT250, DT770, 1770 , t5p (though t5p leaks more than it should)

To me "closed" Fostex TH-x00 and its brothers are more like Semi open than something like a DT770 which is closed.

I feel like TOTL closed lean towards more Fostex closed/semi-open with excessive vents than a true closed like dt770 or other studio monitors.

Whereas a studio closed cannot leak into the mic, a TOTL "closed" is more for quieter home listening and not recording vocals beside microphone where leaks will not be good.

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #34 of 72
Because people buy it.
The simplicity in truth.
I own a great closed back (Kennerton Rognir) and prefer it to the rolling headphone which I have owned. Audeze LCD4, ZMF Verite, Rosson Rad-0, Kennerton Thridi and Wodan, Meze Empyrean. The point is ….some closed backs are just as good as open backs.
And Rognir is one of the very few exceptions that compete with the best of the open backs.

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #35 of 72
It wants to exist

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 72
Well, I listen to a lot of dance music (~70% of my collection), and for this particular genre, a colored sound with stronger bass often accentuates its charm. In fact, I find "v-shaped" headphones and EDM play (very) well together, like bread and butter. But, I digress.

Anyway, back to the bass. Closed-back headphones provide a grander bass presentation. The texture, reverb, slam, and impact of the lows on (well-tuned) closed-back cans are perfect for my tastes and needs. There are few open-back headphones that come remotely close to depicting an enjoyable musical experience akin to the ones closed headphones do.

Now, don't get me wrong. Open-back headphones have their strengths, and I am well aware of their general superiority in certain (crucial) metrics. However, why are you so certain that closed-back headphones are patently inferior to their open-back counterparts? For that matter, why are you even surprised that people actually enjoy a certain type of headphone? After all, don't we all have diverse and disparate tastes?
I have to agree with this post. Back in 1975 I did a side by side comparison of the (then) well made audiophile headphones. The closed back Koss, and the open back HD414. At that time it was noticeable that the Sennheiser HD414 was better in some areas. Still my preference was the close backs, due to the bass presentation? I’ve never changed?

It could be that the artifacts are what I’m keyed into as an attribute? I don’t even know? It has been too long now to figure it all out.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #37 of 72
Well, I listen to a lot of dance music (~70% of my collection), and for this particular genre, a colored sound with stronger bass often accentuates its charm. In fact, I find "v-shaped" headphones and EDM play (very) well together, like bread and butter. But, I digress.

Anyway, back to the bass. Closed-back headphones provide a grander bass presentation. The texture, reverb, slam, and impact of the lows on (well-tuned) closed-back cans are perfect for my tastes and needs. There are few open-back headphones that come remotely close to depicting an enjoyable musical experience akin to the ones closed headphones do.

Now, don't get me wrong. Open-back headphones have their strengths, and I am well aware of their general superiority in certain (crucial) metrics. However, why are you so certain that closed-back headphones are patently inferior to their open-back counterparts? For that matter, why are you even surprised that people actually enjoy a certain type of headphone? After all, don't we all have diverse and disparate tastes?
Knowing your favorite genre, of which I am also a huge fan, I can see why proper bass is so important. To answer your question, no, I've never really listened to a proper closed headphone. My father might pick up a HD280 Pro or K371, and I'll get to experience it. But I was under the assumption that planar headphones were always going to have the most sophisticated bass. Is that not true?

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #38 of 72
I’m not sure why being closed back makes them inferior? I would say the greatest headphone of all time is closed. The Sony MDR-R10 :wink:

However have you heard any closed backs lately? They may change your mind.

I personally prefer closed backs.
The headphone you mentioned here is why I added "most" of the greatest headphones of all time! :wink:
But no, I've never heard a proper one. I hope my father orders some K371 for me to try out soon.

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #39 of 72
I agree about bass. Most open backs suck at bass. I don't know if it's an audiophile preference or just a limitation of the openback design. It's decoloration imo, the reduction of bass, but audiophiles call it neutral for some reason. Almost all the graphs of the commonly respected openbacks around here show below neutral drop offs in the lows and it's not due to the measuring rig. I prefer closedbacks, for me rolled off bass is just a nonstarter.
Even planar headphones? Through my research, I figured they were supposed to have the most sophisticated bass.

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #40 of 72
Nostoi has left the chat.
My belief is based on years of reading reviews off and on, trying to limit myself to the most respected reviewers.

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #41 of 72
I own a great closed back (Kennerton Rognir) and prefer it to the following headphone which I have owned. Audeze LCD4, ZMF Verite, Rosson Rad-0, Kennerton Thridi and Wodan, Meze Empyrean. The point is ….some closed backs are just as good as open backs.
A planar closed headphone? I didn't know those existed. I bet the bass is terrific! They're fairly expensive... LOL

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #43 of 72
No, closed ones like DT150, DT250, DT770, 1770 , t5p (though t5p leaks more than it should)

To me "closed" Fostex TH-x00 and its brothers are more like Semi open than something like a DT770 which is closed.

I feel like TOTL closed lean towards more Fostex closed/semi-open with excessive vents than a true closed like dt770 or other studio monitors.

Whereas a studio closed cannot leak into the mic, a TOTL "closed" is more for quieter home listening and not recording vocals beside microphone where leaks will not be good.
What is TOTL? Saw that used here a bit and don't know what it means!

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #44 of 72
Aug 4, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #45 of 72
The headphone you mentioned here is why I added "most" of the greatest headphones of all time! :wink:
But no, I've never heard a proper one. I hope my father orders some K371 for me to try out soon.
Give a decent one a shot sometime. I think you may like what you hear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back