Why are headphone amps so costly?
Nov 29, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #63 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
hehe this thread reminds me of a time in my life when I got into flashlights. I bet most of you folk would think spending 350$ on a flashlight insane. But visist the candle power forums cummunity for a few weeks and well.. sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif
Flashlight's mirror amps in a funny way. There are alot of DIY designs, and there are new technologies, and expensive lights.. HID's, LED's Luxeon star LED's, etc.. hehe so funny. Im not into flashlights anymore, but the parallel's are pretty hilarious. But alas I suppose it's that way for any enthusiast item.

I remember when I got my ARC LSH-P(One of the first Luxeon LED's).. I had some fun times.. imagine pulling out a pocket flashlight the size of your thumb and outshining a 2D cell Maglite that weighs 3 pounds and is half an arms length long hehe.. people are like wow where did you get that thing!

Regards,
Mike

That's pretty funny. I remember finding the Candlepower forums once in a google search and I looked around. It was interesting but I'm glad I didn't get into it because I would have been streched out way too thin.

It's funny but I think that certain people have personalities that lend themselves to these sorts of pursuits. I think most of us have this sort of personality. Surely I wouldn't have even found the Candlepower website if I didn't have this "bug."

I think it's this obsessive thing about making sure everything I buy is the absolute best for the money I spend. I'll tell you that I research anything I buy. It wouldn't surprise me one day if I found myself reading reviews on nail clippers and then suddenly getting caught up in a nail clipper forum and then buying a $100 nail clipper featuring samurai sword style metallurgy and cuts entire toe nails with just one clip.

I wasted money on so many things that I am embarrassed to even admit some of the things I have bought. However it has also taught me a lot about money and how to allocate it in the way that makes you most happy. A $500 vacuum cleaner isn't it.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #64 of 123
Yeah.. I have a hard time buying anything moderatly expensive without researching it first.. just can't help wanting to get the most out of my money, that and i've bought junk in the past that I sorely regret. The problem is researching good gear leads you to places like candle power and headfi. And the innocent research becomes somthing much worse.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #65 of 123
I just thought this quote from the candlepower link was funny:

"There’s no earthly darkness the 80-watt high-powered H4 quartz halogen bulb cannot penetrate."

I think some audio manufacturer should say "There is no silence we cannot fill with beautiful music."

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #66 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
You desire a $300 amp because you think the $60 ones are low quality and not worthy of using. How do you know this? You don't. You got your ideas from what people here say, and here you are surrounded by people who are willing to throw considerable sums of money to get what they feel they need. If the Glimore Lite did not exist or you did not know of its existence you would be happy with a $60 CMoy.

On another note, if Gilmore Lites were selling like iPods then it really would be at your local Best Buy for $49.99. However 99% of iPod buyers do not care to lug another object around. Remember you chose your hobby. There is no mainstream in this hobby.

The Cmoy is as mainstream as it gets in these parts.

As for building an M3 either you work to build it or work to pay for it built. Either way you work for what you eat. If you think $150 is too much to earn to build an M3 then start building them for $120 labor and you will capture the market for pre-built M3s.

hey dude,

The reason I don't like the $60 cmoys is cause most of them are portable and I wanted something for home use with a decent power supply to boot. I want the extra power, not the portability... hence they're not the most suitable for me.

yes, I completely agree that if glites (or any other amp in that range... I just picked that model completely randomly) were as popular as ipods then they'd be dirt cheap. However, just because it's my hobby doesn't mean I should be condemned to always pay a premium (but this is currently the case). Computers in general are a far bigger hobby for me... in fact a lot of my life/work revolves around it... but I totally don't have the same feeling that I'm paying way more than what I should even though the absolute dollar amount I spend far exceeds that of audio related equipment. It's more of a rant than anything, but with the knowledge that given the circumstances it is completely understandable. Hence the label of "rant".

As for $120 for labour on an M3... well real intention was trying to draw a general example but since I obviously yet again picked a specific case... Frankly I don't see that work as worth $150 (naturally another number that's at best a ballpark). For a few hours work, that's a lot of money for something like reading off a schematic and some soldering... There are people who do soldering at work and it's more comparable to an entire work day's pay...

I can see this heading down in an undesireable path - don't get me wrong - I really appreciate all the people who provide these services and choices, whether it'd be companies like headamp or individual builders who put together DIY designs... they make a great, valuable, and very much needed contribution to this market. Without them we would have no hope of getting to where we want to be... more suppliers, more buyers, greater economies of scale, better prices... I absolutely mean no offence but merely trying to explain my logic.

Anyway, I'm about to go bid on a 4 input behringer mixer board for like 20 bucks on ebay. 2 mins left... muhahaha... Probably won't win though. Ah well.
EDIT: Got outbid in the last 4 seconds. lol. See I was right. Hey it means I just saved myself $20 bucks
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #68 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello
"There’s no earthly darkness the 80-watt high-powered H4 quartz halogen bulb cannot penetrate."

Obviously a quote from a philistine with undeveloped flashlightophile sensibilities.

Those in the know appreciate that spectral balance is much more important than raw power. There's nothing quite like the transcendental experience of lighting up an intruder at 3 am and realizing that the fleshtones are absolutely spot on!
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #69 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
lololol. I guess if I posted there and said I own a Craftsman flashlight that would be like the equivalent of bose around here?

i don't have time to really take a look around, but this is hilarious. Makes me wonder if the general public sees us in the same way. You paid how much for your headphones?!!!?

But we're different though... I mean... those flashlight lovers are clearly freaks but we're prefectly normal.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #71 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
i don't have time to really take a look around, but this is hilarious. Makes me wonder if the general public sees us in the same way. You paid how much for your headphones?!!!?

But we're different though... I mean... those flashlight lovers are clearly freaks but we're prefectly normal.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt that either. I think anything over $80 is a lot on a headphone for many people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Can someone show me a Sony R10 equivalent flashlight?

16.jpg

That's also the briefcase equivalent.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #72 of 123
One site that I like to visit from time to time is the lifestyle section of forbes.com. It does review of top 10 best items from men's shoes to cars to topless beaches. Of course not everyone can afford a $9000 toilet but at least you know they exist.

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #73 of 123
Wow. I just realized this (dont laugh) but economies of scale is a REALLY key thing.. take the TLE2426CLP in PPA V2.. 1.30 for 1, .65 for 5000. so IF I made 5000 PPA V2s, and other parts had similar scale downs i'd be able to cut costs in 2 digits... that's pretty big.. a $300 amp would become $150.. a Cmoy would be REALLY cheap.. stuff like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back