Why are headphone amps so costly?
Nov 29, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #77 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
hey dude,

The reason I don't like the $60 cmoys is cause most of them are portable and I wanted something for home use with a decent power supply to boot. I want the extra power, not the portability... hence they're not the most suitable for me.

yes, I completely agree that if glites (or any other amp in that range... I just picked that model completely randomly) were as popular as ipods then they'd be dirt cheap. However, just because it's my hobby doesn't mean I should be condemned to always pay a premium (but this is currently the case). Computers in general are a far bigger hobby for me... in fact a lot of my life/work revolves around it... but I totally don't have the same feeling that I'm paying way more than what I should even though the absolute dollar amount I spend far exceeds that of audio related equipment. It's more of a rant than anything, but with the knowledge that given the circumstances it is completely understandable. Hence the label of "rant".

As for $120 for labour on an M3... well real intention was trying to draw a general example but since I obviously yet again picked a specific case... Frankly I don't see that work as worth $150 (naturally another number that's at best a ballpark). For a few hours work, that's a lot of money for something like reading off a schematic and some soldering... There are people who do soldering at work and it's more comparable to an entire work day's pay...

I can see this heading down in an undesireable path - don't get me wrong - I really appreciate all the people who provide these services and choices, whether it'd be companies like headamp or individual builders who put together DIY designs... they make a great, valuable, and very much needed contribution to this market. Without them we would have no hope of getting to where we want to be... more suppliers, more buyers, greater economies of scale, better prices... I absolutely mean no offence but merely trying to explain my logic.

Anyway, I'm about to go bid on a 4 input behringer mixer board for like 20 bucks on ebay. 2 mins left... muhahaha... Probably won't win though. Ah well.
EDIT: Got outbid in the last 4 seconds. lol. See I was right. Hey it means I just saved myself $20 bucks
wink.gif

(please be warned that there are grammatical errors and missing words in there and I'm too tired to fix them tonight)

I see so you'd like a nice home amp. Some of those Firestone amps seem to be getting good reviews here I think they cost around $100-120 if I'm not mistaken.

The reason why I say what I say is that Economics was one of my college majors and we have been inculcated to believe in the capitalist system. I actually do believe in the capitalist system, it may be perfect but then again no system is.

I agree that $150 is expensive to get one M3 built. However nobody wants to do it for less for whatever reason. If anything you have the edge in that you know people who do soldering work and you could see if one of them might do it for say $50 as an example. Maybe if one of them saw a market for these amps they could start building them at maybe a $70 labor charge.

The thing about this is that in order to build these amps and sell them then you start having risks about whether you'll sell all the parts you ordered as amps and the risk of getting amps back for repair. These things add up to little more than the hourly rate for soldering. From what you are saying the going rate for hand soldering work is around $20 an hour. Assuming they can build these amps in 4 hours they would have to charge an $80 building fee. If start selling them as a built product they have to deal with those risks and things like marketing and such. They might have to charge $100 per amp to cover that. However if even one other builder got into this business then pretty much everyone will get their amps for $50 less than before.

Now by that logic if 3 builders got into this business one might start doing it $90 bucks. Now the big problem is that the demand for these amps is limited. If you have suddenly 4 people selling these amps at $80 building cost the builder might find that they are only selling 4 per month (or some other low number). One of them might say that it isn't worth his time and headache to keep parts around and market and do all the other administrative things even a small business needs to sell only 4 amps a month and so he drops out. Then we go right back to $90 to build these amps. And so forth depending mostly on demand.

So you are right in saying that we need to get everyone interested in headphone amps and I try by letting people listen to mine. However it is an uphill battle. Even some of my "gadgethead" friends just straight up say that they are not audiophiles and they don't care about the "wierd" stuff we do and put up with for good sound. Most people want thumping bass speakers at home and believe that headphones are only to used late at might or on the go. They would never be sold on being tethered to headphones at home. Similarly for on-the-go use they would never carry an extra device.

All these points notwithstanding I still try my best, and even those who like it simply shudder at the thought of spending what a pair of Etymotics costs. I wish I had an SR60 to demo but really most people see even $70 headphones as over the top excessive.

The bottomline is that we have fortunately or unfortunately cultivated a taste for something few other people care for. This also creates this feeling of exclusivity that many manufacturers capitalize on by selling us more and more expensive products that some people buy as they believe it makes their particular tastes even more exclusive. This has created a vicious circle that puts more and more expensive products on the market and the common man sees this and thinks we are all insane as a group. Being called an audiophile sometimes sounds like an insult these days. I try to let people know that you don't have to drop thousands to get a good stereo and that appreciating good sound doesn't necessarily involve large amounts of cash.

As an example, I went home for Thanksgiving surprised to see a Tivoli stereo in the house and I listened to it. I came away completely impressed by how good it sounded connected to a CD player. The whole thing costs $200 and is very musical. I could definitely replace my computer speakers with it and just listen to it. I could try to sell the system to others, but I'll hear questions and objections like "It doesn't have a CD player?" or "How many watts?" or "There's no bass" or "It doesn't look like a stereo" or something along those lines. It never stops me from trying though. In all the years I've tried to get people away from crappy stereos I managed to get only one person converted to good sound. It's very tough and in ways we are blessed and cursed with this hobby.

Things are looking better these days slowly as Best Buy started to carry Athena speakers and now when a friend asks for advice (which he will invariably not follow and get a Sony reciever and Bose speakers -j/k) at least I can tell them to go to Best Buy and try the Athena Line which are good especially for the money. Before I'd send them to <insert private audio store name here> and they got overwhelmed.

So it is looking up on the home audio front but that is because innately everyone wants a good stereo at home though it seems to driven more by a "I don't want the same Sony receiver the neighbor has" than by a geniune interest to audio itself. This is why a Tivoli stereo is a hard sell. They want Denon receivers to trump their neighbor's Sony instead. Then the third guy will try to trump the Denon guy with a Marantz receiver. Then they start looking for more exclusive esoteric stuff and manufacturers are ready and willing to pump out more and more expensive stuff for these people. Anyway it is getting better either for the wrong reason or the right reason.

When it comes to home headphone listening, that is a really hard sell. That requires a real paradigm shift, one where people really do care about the sound and enjoyment they derive. Very few people have that sense of good sound. Few will put up with being tethered to phones or even limited to the sweet spot for that sonic nirvana we so crave. I'll tell you that when I put the phones on and the amp is singing I forget about every possible worry in the world. Few people even think of music reproduction that way.

Nov 29, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #78 of 123
How is a $4000 bicycle worth it?

$4000 wouldn't even get you started with this one.
What value do you put on an Olympic gold and taking 6 seconds of the world record?
http://www.converge.org.nz/hpvcanter...os_avanti.html

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20.../dsc_0260ulmer

It always amuses me to see Americans bitching about the price of consumer goods in their country, take a look at the rest of the world sometime and realise how fortunate you are.
$60 isn't even a tank full of petrol for most of us..or how would you like to be paying $30 to $40 for cds.
Headphone amps are no different to any other consumer item. The manufacturer can charge anything he likes, consumer demand or resistence will in the end dictate the survival of the product.
One thing many people seem to forget in their equations is wages and unless you expect the builders to work for sweatshop rates, this is always going to be a significant part of the cost.

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #79 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
An interesting tidbit.. in the flashlight world Maglite=Bose. hehe

Heh, that really is interesting
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love my small maglite... built well and fairly inexpensive. Hard to see how it could be compared to Bose.

My only complaint is that it really needs glass rather than plastic (which scratches easily) over the light. Also, the light gives off a lot of heat, which is bad (wasted energy that could be used for more light)... maybe it ain't so great after all.

P.S. 2 xsr71 -- I don't believe Tivoli is really high end... I guess you could call it entry level. A lot of times, price is the main determiner of what's high end and what's not, which makes me a little sad.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #80 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
smily_headphones1.gif
. I love my small maglite... built well and fairly inexpensive. Hard to see how it could be compared to Bose.

My only complaint is that it really needs glass rather than plastic (which scratches easily) over the light. Also, the light gives off a lot of heat, which is bad (wasted energy that could be used for more light)... maybe it ain't so great after all.

P.S. 2 xsr71 -- I don't believe Tivoli is really high end... I guess you could call it entry level. A lot of times, price is the main determiner of what's high end and what's not, which makes me a little sad.

I know that. I have a substantial home system that you might term high-end. Nowhere did I imply that a Tivoli system is "high-end." It sounds good for cheap and is an easy sell to non-audiophiles whose primary objection to the hobby is cost - that was my point.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #81 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
I know that. I have a substantial home system that you might term high-end. Nowhere did I imply that a Tivoli system is "high-end." It sounds good for cheap and is an easy sell to non-audiophiles - that was my point.

That's cool... no need to be so defensive (or at least that's what I was perceiving).

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #82 of 123
Quote:

Here you guys go! Sorry about yer wallet! http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

looool ... best link ever ... this site looks sooo ... hmm ... familiar
wink.gif

look at this quote (no its not from headfi ^^):

Quote:

Run for your life.. and I mean now... Turn off your browser, disconnect from the internet.. Clear your history, delete the cookies, if need be just reformat your hard drive and do a clean install.. But whatever you do, for the love of all that is good...

RUN!!!

You will never escape if you stay. It will never be bright enough. It will never run long enough. Why are you still reading this... Go... I mean it... Go now...

You have been warned!!

May God have mercy on your soul.

icon10.gif

EDIT:
... hmm ... at least those guys have still hope for their wallets:

Quote:

Enjoy the forums and hang on to your wallet!

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #83 of 123
Bah, your maglite is only good because you've never seen/owned better! This is just like all those "other people" blissfully loving their streetstyles, not knowing there is a better solution out there.

Honestly, there's an Aluminum, Hard anodized, CR123a powered + buffered, half the size of your maglite, 5x brighter, 3x longer lasting, bundle of gimmi yer wallet now deer blinding flash light just waiting for you to find it!

Lol in the "high end" flashlight world, things like size/brightness, quality of light, battery life, duability, water proof, beam "throw" and "Flood".. "usable light" these are all the definitions that are used. Recently we have "Buffered" lights.. where there is a power circuit that maintains a constant voltage level until the battery is completly dead. So you go from Full brightness to half brightness to completly dead. Instead of slowly going from full to somthing lesser until ther's nothing left.

Maglites are notorius for putting "Rings" in their light pattern.. shine your maglite on a wall notice it has for lack of a better word "Flashlight rings" they are dark rings in the light beam. They are really annoying when your trying to read a map or book.. leds don't sufer from rings hardly at all, and neither do flourescents.

bah 6am.. I gotta get to bed.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #84 of 123
Quote:

This is just like all those "other people" blissfully loving their streetstyles, not knowing there is a better solution out there.

Bull. Flashlights are nothing at all like headphones. Music is a universal human interest, while flashlights are for specialized purposes. Apples and oranges IMO.

I find it hard to believe that flashlights could have devoted fans, but I consider them (uncommonly used) utilitarian devices of zero interest otherwise. I suppose there are big fans of high-end sledgehammers, wood stoves, wallpaper, sink attachments, toilet brushes, you name it... good for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
Maglites are notorius for putting "Rings" in their light pattern.. shine your maglite on a wall notice it has for lack of a better word "Flashlight rings" they are dark rings in the light beam. They are really annoying when your trying to read a map or book.. leds don't sufer from rings hardly at all, and neither do flourescents.

It's good to know that if I ever get annoyed by the rings in my flashlight's beam, there's something else out there (and LED flashlights are pretty cheap now). You won't see me on any devotee's forum though.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #85 of 123
Lol how close minded of you. Sure it's a niche, but so is Audiophile equipment. There's probably more flashlights in the world then headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

And you'd be surprized just how useful a good EDC is (Everday Carry). The main point of my post was that there are "Enthusiast" for many things, and that people spend money on what they are interested in, and they are not wrong for doing so. I absolutely do not judge people for what they spend their money on. If someone wants to buy a 400$ flashlight good for them, who am I to say they are wasting their money.

I think you'd probalby agree with me on that, but the way your post is worded it sounds demeaning to flashaholics. There's more to LEDS then ringless, white quality light, they are also brighter per watt used, and the batteries last much longer. And seriously, those rings are a real annoyance, I wasent nitpicking lol, try reading a map in a dark car and seeing type 4 font street names when they are in a dark spot(ring).

Regards,
Mike

Nov 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #86 of 123
The flashlight guys probably think its dumb to spend hundreds, even thousands on interconnects and powercords! People always think others who are not like them are crazy. A good flashlight has helped me out of some hairy situations in the past. And I'm very glad I had something better than a maglite then!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #87 of 123
Hmm... now that you mention it, yes maglites are crap. I was never really happy with how bright they were, and the rings were so annoying.
sxr71:
I didn't want to quote what you wrote for space saving reasons... but yes I really appreciate your sound reasoning. It does make a lot of sense and I don't think that currently ppl are "overcharging" but rather that's just where the market is. Only solution is greater volumes. If having 3 builders will reduce the sales of each builder to a few a month... lol yeah that's just sad. I'm thinking if a person gets at least 5 orders a day, surely they can live with less than the hypothetical $150 profit per unit. And assuming a more realistic rate of 2 hours per unit (it really doesn't take very long if you're good) if they still charged the same then they'd be quite wealthy... in which case prices would drop since others would be willing to do it for less. It's kind of sad to think that with all the people in the world and with so few companies/builders who make amps, the supply could still easily be satified with most people building everything by hand.
That behringer mixer that I half heartedly bid for last night - the thing sells for 19.99 brand new! And it has all these controls and decent enclosure and wall-wart and multiple amplifiers... etc.. If I were to buy the parts I needed myself, it would far exceed the $20. That's what we're used to - prebuilt products that are far cheaper than if I were to attempt to make one myself. With headphone amps, the other extreme is true. The parts are so much cheaper even if I buy in _single_ quantities, that the idea of buying a high end one when the design is readily available and I have all the tools at my disposal... is hard to swallow. Who knows... never underestimate the power of laziness
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #88 of 123
Please don't let this place turn to a candlepower forum.
for christ sakes, it's flashlights, there I said it.
You think HF don't have female members here, there are even less there. (mostly wives of members)
Please look at this as the glass half full, not empty, when it comes to females on this forum.
I'm with fewtch.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #89 of 123
Oh and one last thing. I actually had quite a bit of luck getting my friends to despise bad sound. Perhaps not at a uber hardcore level, but at least they need high bitrate mp3s and something at least the level of KSCs to listen on. For my latest purchase, I somehow got 3 of my friends to order new cans with me - this will be their first "hifi" can ever. It probably helped when I had a HD600 and AKG240DF handy from another friend for them to try out
wink.gif
Talk is cheap - you gotta show them the difference. I have to admit I was really really underwhelmed by the SR60 though... barely an improvement over KSCs. Maybe I expected too much - but maybe it's cause they weren't an entry into the headfi world for me but rather something I'm going back to after having heard much better stuff. People say I'm evil cause I show them there's something better out there and now they can't go back and are "forced" to spend money. So what I'm trying to say is don't give up
wink.gif
They can still be converted.
Another interesting observation - headphones are far more saturated compared to amps which explains why their prices, though still expensive, are more down to earth. But then everyone insists that you "need" an amp with most of them which leads me to conclude that all those people doing the insisting already bought one... so then how can there be so few customers for amps compared to headphones? We're not just talking about some 2:1 or 5:1 ratio... we're talking orders of magnitude fewer.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #90 of 123
Quote:

Bull. Flashlights are nothing at all like headphones. Music is a universal human interest, while flashlights are for specialized purposes. Apples and oranges IMO.

I find it hard to believe that flashlights could have devoted fans, but I consider them (uncommonly used) utilitarian devices of zero interest otherwise.

It's quite close minded of you to say so....to an outsider who neither collects headphones or flashlights, it is equally silly to spend say $300 on a flashlight, or $1000 on a headphone. The price is out of proportion to the utility provided by the low end mass market versions.

Collecting flashlights is like collecting any other tool, and there is a HUGE DIY/MOD hobby with flashlights. With flashlights, there are technological challenges and subjective criteria that drive the desire to buy bigger/nicer flashlights, This is no different than headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back