Why are headphone amps so costly?
Nov 29, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #106 of 123
Quote:

and errr... that doesn't come across as strange?

Yeah, but I am sure burning in power cables and interconnects, spending $200 on a cable and owning more than 1 pair of headphones and more than 1 amp probably comes across as strange to them.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #107 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
I'm probably an audiophile based on my hardware and still think its dumb...
rs1smile.gif

My flashlight enthusiast friends think I'm dumb when I tell them how much my RS-1s cost me. I return the favour by telling them no human being needs enough flashlights to equip an entire company of troops. Then we all have a good laugh and go for a beer.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #108 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Yeah, but I am sure burning in power cables and interconnects, spending $5 on a cable and owning more than 1 pair of headphones and more than 0 amps probably comes across as strange to them.
biggrin.gif

Fixed
wink.gif
. And yes, it does, even on the small and cheap end.

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #109 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Thanks warpdriver. I just PMed the guy to send me a Paypal invoice for a Fenix L1P. That flashlight looks tough and ergonomic. My current flashlight, a cheap maglite, aint cutting it because the illumination has this dark image in the middle. You also need two hands to turn it on and off.

(Sorry for the OT again. I figured there are candlepower guys reading this thread so I might as well butt in with my question
icon10.gif
)

---Pat

EDIT: I just ordered the Fenix L1P and checked out the threads at Candlepowerforums.com just for kicks. Those guys are hardcore with their flashlights
eek.gif
I guess the Fenix L1P is kind of like the Gilmore Lite of flashlights, not totally expensive but sort of popular for the price and size.

Stop it already! Now I'm reading Candlepower all of a sudden! This isn't good.

I'm telling myself: I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...

Nov 30, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #110 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01
Yeah, but I am sure burning in power cables and interconnects, spending $200 on a cable and owning more than 1 pair of headphones and more than 1 amp probably comes across as strange to them.
biggrin.gif

To be blunt, some of it still sounds strange to me (and I've been a member here since 2003). Not every "enthusiast" is into the more overboard aspects of a given hobby.

I like finding good entry-level bargains, and feel much better about a purchase when it sounds great and costs little, vs. sounding great and costing a lot. Put me squarely in the 1970s "good sound philosophy" category, rather than chasing after some elusive, illusive notion of perfection.

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #112 of 123
If I was made of money i'd buy 150$ IC's 2000$ amps and 1000$ headphones, I'd also buy 800$ portable HID's. But im not and I can't. So I do what I can with what I have. Normally end up getting somthing slightly more then I can afford. So far iv'e spent about 550$ on my hi-fi adventure. I don't think that's too bad. I've spent about 200$ on flashlights. (3 different ones). They all have different uses though. Ones a small, bright led, another is a larger flood lamp led, and the last one is an extremly bright incandecent about the size of a mini-mag.. (old pelican m6). It's awsome for distance.

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #113 of 123
MY GOD... flashoholics..... too much for me to handle...

I always say whatever floats your boat... but even this is too much for me to comprehend that there is an actual forum for flashlights.

Ahh... in relative retrospect - I dont find myself too odd anymore. LOL

Nov 30, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #114 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Stop it already! Now I'm reading Candlepower all of a sudden! This isn't good.

I'm telling myself: I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...I don't need a new flashlight...

You dont... unless you really cant stand that dark center in your light field. But comeon.. even the guys in videogames dont have super flashlights!!

Check out Doom3 - there's a dark spot in the middle... and his life is on the line!

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #115 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
You dont... unless you really cant stand that dark center in your light field. But comeon.. even the guys in videogames dont have super flashlights!!

Check out Doom3 - there's a dark spot in the middle... and his life is on the line!

I can't stand that dark centre!
frown.gif

And yes! I've wondered about that dark spot in doom3. lol. Even in the game I found it quite annoying, and thought that the spot looked quite like my 2C maglite. lol.
So hypothetically, if I'm willing to spend a bit of money to get something about the size of a 2C maglite (perfect size IMHO) but want something minus the spot and bright enough to give a passing deer seizures, what should? Hypothetically.

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #117 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
So hypothetically, if I'm willing to spend a bit of money to get something about the size of a 2C maglite (perfect size IMHO) but want something minus the spot and bright enough to give a passing deer seizures, what should? Hypothetically.

Check out the military and police flashlights, I guess. There's an ad for Surefire on the back of one of my magazines... it's attached to an M4
biggrin.gif

The next trend is white-light LEDs.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #118 of 123
Surefire has many lights that will fit your need. Note that standard incandecent lights don't have to have ugly rings in them either, it's a refelector design almost as much as bulb technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
I can't stand that dark centre!
frown.gif

And yes! I've wondered about that dark spot in doom3. lol. Even in the game I found it quite annoying, and thought that the spot looked quite like my 2C maglite. lol.

Dec 3, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #119 of 123
Maybe it could interest somebody, an X-Can V3 costs 300 US$ (without taxes and shipping) in Madrid.
Don't know if it's worthwile…

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #120 of 123
arc-aaa.jpg

This is probably the ideal 'Browsing through CDs an night' flashlight. Nice, diffuse beam.
Quote:

I am fortunate that I only use flashlight like once in a month or two, so my $1.99 one has served me well.

But, just think how often you'd use a flashlight, if you had some really nice flashlights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back