Who's getting in on the K1000 sale?
Aug 30, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #16 of 76
I got mine when they dropped the price to $499 and thought it was a bargain. At this price it's impossible to resist, especially if you already have a decent speaker amp. Heck, if you don't like, you can probably pond it off for the amount you paid for them.

Aug 30, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #17 of 76
I got my AKG K1000 from HeadRoom during their sale this past April, and I used it at first with a pair of ASL Wave monoblocks. I loved the sound, and immediately stopped using the Sennheiser HD600 and Grado SR325s that I previously used. Since then I've considerably upgraded my system; i.e., I now use an ASL AQ-1005DT amplifier, which I equipped with super high quality tubes, and a Marantz SA8260 SACD player. The sound of the K1000 is even more fabulous now, and it's the only headphone that I use in my main system. For added base I sometimes use a nearby powered subwoofer, although it really seems unnecessary because I get lots of base from the K1000. All in all, I highly recommed the K1000, because it's absolutely wonderful.

Aug 30, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 76
My K1000's arrived today as suspected.

Quote:

I'd also be interested in knowing what you are using to power them.

At the moment I am testing them with a pro amp I moved in from my shelf system rated at 125 per ch @ 8 ohms. I am currently using a MOH as a preamp.

Tomorrow I am picking up a Parasound Zamp to try out.

I will feed it from the preouts of the MOH, Wheatfield Audio HA-1 and Mapletree Audio Design via a HeadRoom line level switcher.

John

Aug 31, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #19 of 76
Thanks for this post, I guess.
It made me spend more Hifi money, but I think it will be worth it. I could not pass up that deal for a pair of 1000's.
I am a headphone newbie, and just signed up to say thank you.
Guess I will be visiting this site now, as I start playing with my new headphones.
Also thought you guys might be interested in this, if you have not already seen it

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/akg/follow-up.html

There is also a review of the 1000 at this site, but this article talks about changing the cable, and amplification for the 1000.

Randy

Aug 31, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 76
Has anyone tried the Stefan AudioArt cable w. Cardas Rhodium spades for the AKG K-1000s? If so, what are the improvements? The cable sells for $179.

I received my K-1000s yesterday. After a brief couple of hours with them (and with a very moderate amp driving them, the NAD L40 receiver), I can say that they are magic.

Aug 31, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #21 of 76
Thanks to randytsuchs post I Ordered the nOah SE9 intergraded amp for the akg1000 I recieved yesterday from headroom. And
also will end up ordering stephen art cable as well. I will write a
review once I recieve it all.Cick on link in randytsuch post for review of both.

Aug 31, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I got in rather quickly. My impressions are in the DC meet thread in the general forum. Right now they're powered by an Adcom GFA-535 amp, with Melos SHA-1 as preamp.

Hi Hirsch:

I also have an Adcom 535 amp, and would like to know more about how one wires a 60+ watt amp to drive headphones (even if they are "earspeakers".

Forgive me, because I know almost nothing about the relationship between current and impedence, but I would have assumed that the Adcom would toast these little jewels.

Please help!!!
confused.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 76
Elrod-Tom,

You simply hook the cables up the way you would a speaker cable, and keep volume at sane levels. The extra power the amp can dish out may never be used, but it won't hurt anything. The volume levels you would need to put the K-1000 at risk would also put your hearing at risk.
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 76
How do I get in on this deal? I've been to Headroom and their catalog still lists them for the higher price.
Also, I've heard these arent great for rock. I listen to a lot of things, but that includes some rock.
What amps are all of you uisng with the headphones? Thanks.

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #26 of 76
You might want to check the mall-fi forum on this site. By the way: I'm about to see the 40s film Nightfall with a friend. Walter Reade Theater, 5-ish. Must run pronto.

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #27 of 76
The offer is posted in the Headroom Forum. You'll need to call Headroom and speak to Todd or Mike. You cannot place an order for the Head-Fi price over the web.

The K-1000 does just fine with rock, actually
smily_headphones1.gif
If you want that little extra bit of kick, at least one Head-Fi member uses an external subwoofer with these. (Come to think of it, I've actually got a spare sub sitting in my closet I never got around to selling, it would work nicely...
tongue.gif
)

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #28 of 76
I've been listening to these from a 40W solid state integrated, and apart from the fact that they are VERY uncomfortable, I've really been enjoying the sound!

Soundstage is amazing, and detail and midrange are very sweet. Bass is lacking, as others have said. Unless your listening environment is VERY quiet, you'll miss out on a good bit of the K1000 benefits.

My K1000 epiphany: I've never heard sax sound so realistic on headphones (or all but the most expensive speaker-based systems I've ever heard, for that matter) as I did tonight on the K1000. Specifically, the SACD of Kind of Blue has two versions of Flamenco Sketches, both of which have excellent sax work. I was trying to get some work done, but I was so stunned I had to stop everything and just sit back and listen.

Sep 2, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Bass is lacking, as others have said.

I haven't said it. I think bass on the K-1000 is fine, and I'm rather critical of bass reponse on headphones. OTOH, my amp has 60 watts, with high-current capability, as opposed to your amp's 40. Perhaps you're underpowering them????
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

I haven't said it. I think bass on the K-1000 is fine, and I'm rather critical of bass reponse on headphones. OTOH, my amp has 60 watts, with high-current capability, as opposed to your amp's 40. Perhaps you're underpowering them????
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I haven't said it, either. I've listened through a (modest) 20-25 watts, playing the new Stones SACDs (the cowbell on "Honky Tonk Woman" has never sounded clearer; I also never realized the impact that the brass has, either) as well as Beethoven's early string quartets, and the bass does not lack impact. BTW, the soundstage and imaging have to be heard to be believed. I'm hoping that my Marantz 2238b receiver shows up this week to improve things even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back