Who's getting in on the K1000 sale?
Sep 2, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I haven't said it.

Hey, I said "as others have said," not "as everyone has said."
tongue.gif
There are also people who think the K501 has deep bass, so obviously some people will think the K1000 have good bass

poke.gif

evilfire.gif

run.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #32 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
The offer is posted in the Headroom Forum. You'll need to call Headroom and speak to Todd or Mike. You cannot place an order for the Head-Fi price over the web.

You can also go to the Mall-fi forum on this site and find the offer. The Headroom post is the first of four, count 'em, four threads in toto.

I'm still trying to stop myself from picking up a pair, but Satan keeps using words like "imaging" and "soundstage." I hate that ruddy-foreheaded person. (And what's up with the 90s goatee?)

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

tongue.gif
There are also people who think the K501 has deep bass, so obviously some people will think the K1000 have good bass

Could, in this case, good and deep be two different things?

Sep 3, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
tongue.gif
There are also people who think the K501 has deep bass...

I thought you were the only one who keeps saying it? What do you mean, "others", paleface?

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I thought you were the only one who keeps saying it? What do you mean, "others", paleface?

Let's see... kwkarth and several others coupled their K1000 with a subwoofer, so that's a good indication
wink.gif

Plus, how about quotes from others just in this thread:

Quote:

Only drawback is rolloff in the deep bass.

Quote:

For added base I sometimes use a nearby powered subwoofer

(Yes, he also says that he often gets enough bass, but the fact that someone would actually think to use a sub with a pair of headphones says something
wink.gif

If you do a search you'll find lots of comments about the lack of bass in these things.

But geesh! That was my only criticism!
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #37 of 76
Possible stupid question alert here but........Would it be possible to power the K1000's from an RKV Mk II (3 watts per side) at moderate volume with acoustic jazz and achieve satisfactory results? Or is this so ridiculous it should not even be thought of let alone tried.
confused.gif

Sep 4, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #38 of 76
You won't hurt the K1000s by underpowering them, but they won't sound their best without at least the minimum rated power of 10 watts/channel. (At the recent DC Head-Fi Meet the K1000s sounded glorious powered by a vintage Fisher tube amp that is rated at 28 watts/channel). In practical terms, that is only a little more than approximately 4db more headroom than the recommended 10 watts minimum. They produced a sound level that to my ears was as loud, or louder than I would consider a safe listening level, when connected directly to the 4 ohm speaker terminals on the Fisher.

Too bad these headphones are not 6db more efficient, then your 3 watt/channel amp would definitely be in the running. Also, your amp might have a bit of dynamic headroom that could produce something like 5 watts of power with somewhat higher distortion and still be quite listenable.

If you don't get satisfactory results with your current amp, be sure you can return the headphones or be prepared to buy a beefier amp.

Sep 4, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Would it be possible to power the K1000's from an RKV Mk II (3 watts per side) at moderate volume with acoustic jazz and achieve satisfactory results?

The maximum power rating for the K1000 is about 1 W, so any amplifier that can deliver this much or more power into the K1000's 120-ohm impedance should be more than adequate. The RKV is rated for 3 W into 100 to 400 ohms, which means it should be more than enough to fully power the K1000. (Mkmelt's comments would apply if the RKV's 3-W rating had been based on a standard 8-ohm speaker load.)

Sep 4, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #41 of 76
The K1000's are 120 Ohm. I spoke with Todd at Headroom today and I believe I got the last pair, and they are an open box return!

If the RKV doesn't cut it with these, the Grace 901 will power them to acceptable if not earth shattering levels (according to Michael Grace) and if neither one of these work to my satisfaction I have some solid state amps that will definitely work.

Thanks for the responses!

Sep 5, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 76
Yes, if the RKV can deliver 3 watts/channel into a headphone impedance of 100 or more ohms, by all means they should be able to drive the K1000s. I was assuming that the RKV amplifier was one of those flea-powered 1-3 watt/channel at 8 ohm SET type amps that are popular with some audiophiles.

With the K1000s, even at a more than reasonably loud listening level, you are probably only using an average of 1/10th watt of power, with peak power levels approaching 1 watt or slightly higher. Even if you could tolerate peak levels much greater than 1 watt, it is unlikely that these momentary high power levels would damage the K1000s, but perhaps not so for your ears.

Assuming the Fisher 400 can provide 28 watts/channel into either 4/8/16 ohms, off of the 4 ohm transformer tap we were using, the available power into 120 ohms was not more than 0.9 watt/channel into 120 ohms. Theoretically, the available power off of the 16 ohm tap would have been 3.5 watts/ channel into 120 ohms, but I did not try this to see if it sounded any better or worse than the 4 ohm tap I normally use.

Sep 5, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
I got my AKG K1000 from HeadRoom during their sale this past April, and I used it at first with a pair of ASL Wave monoblocks. I loved the sound, and immediately stopped using the Sennheiser HD600 and Grado SR325s that I previously used. Since then I've considerably upgraded my system; i.e., I now use an ASL AQ-1005DT amplifier, which I equipped with super high quality tubes, and a Marantz SA8260 SACD player. The sound of the K1000 is even more fabulous now, and it's the only headphone that I use in my main system. For added base I sometimes use a nearby powered subwoofer, although it really seems unnecessary because I get lots of base from the K1000. All in all, I highly recommed the K1000, because it's absolutely wonderful.

Wow! Had to tell you I envy your setup. I ranked the K1000s and ASL AQ-1005DT second to only the blockhead at the Chicago WoHT. Very sweet. Congrats!

Sep 5, 2002 at 6:07 AM Post #44 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by ChenaynayC

Wow! Had to tell you I envy your setup. I ranked the K1000s and ASL AQ-1005DT second to only the blockhead at the Chicago WoHT. Very sweet. Congrats!

Sound is now even more fantastic since I installed TJ meshplate 300B w/ceramic base gold pin tubes, and Mullard ECC82 NOS tubes. I also have some SACDs on order, and am really looking forward to hearing them. Lots of $$ spent, but no more upgrading planned, especially no speakers. Am also waiting for Stefan AudioArt to replace spades with pins on their cable for the K1000 headphone that I recently bought.

Sep 6, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #45 of 76
I received my K1000 from HeadRoom yesterday. It looks like I just made the cut off.

These cans are unbelievable. I own the HD600 with Cardas cables and a pair of RS-1's - but the K1000's blow them away! Amazing sound stage and clear reproduction. These headphones have made it clear how much coloration I have become used to with my other 'phones. With the K1000's the music is just there.

The bass is fine but I have added a subwoofer so I can "feel" the bass. I have never heard speakers that sound this good.

One problem though, that I have discovered as I have bought better and better headphones, is that most of my CD's sound bad. Chesky brothers recordings such as the two David Johansen and the Harry Smith albums sound great. So does the new "The Who - The Ultimate Collection." But old favorites like the Stones sound dead. I'm glad I've kept some more forgiving headphones in my collection.

I would be interested to know which recordings Head-Fiers have found that stand up to the K1000's flawless reproduction.

I would also like to know if anyone has tried the Stefan AudioArt replacement cable and/or the nOrh SE9 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back