Who's getting in on the K1000 sale?
Sep 9, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #61 of 76
I thought about the nOrh amps but Mr. barnes wasn't all that helpful. I wanted to buy it with schematics so I could toss the PCB and point-to-point wire it like I did the World Audio Labs headphone amp. He said they OEM the amp and can't help. How do they support them then, just ship replacements? It must get expensive.

Sep 9, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #62 of 76
Norh amp carries a one year parts and labor warranty, I never
asked if unit has to be sent back to them or they send replacement parts. You could Email them info@norh.com and ask.

Sep 9, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
Randy,
I didn't get the stehpen cable yet,IT is only 5feet long.
I need 10 feet.I know I can order a longer cable but I don't know
if will affect the improvement over the stock cable at that length.
Depending on what amp you are currently using, better bang for the buck the amp would be the better way to go.

From the review I read, the shorter cable is part of the reason the replacement cable sounds better. Cutting out five feet is a concern for me, too. I wonder if the improvement in sound is worth losing some placement flexibility (from what I've read, it is, although I have not heard it).

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

From the review I read, the shorter cable is part of the reason the replacement cable sounds better. Cutting out five feet is a concern for me, too. I wonder if the improvement in sound is worth losing some placement flexibility (from what I've read, it is, although I have not heard it).

The web page for the replacement cable is here,
http://www.stefanaudioart.com/K1000Cable.html

He does say length is a factor in the design, but also says custom lengths are available.

For me, 5 ft would be fine, but right now, I am getting a new CD player in a week or two, and will probably hold off making any changes until my CDP breaks in.

Randy

Sep 10, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #65 of 76
For people that missed it earlier, the cable on the K-1000 is in two parts. The 5 foot replacement cable only replaces the part below a connector. The cable attached to the headphone is not replaceable, and is about 6 feet long. So, even with the replacement cable, you'd still have over 10 feet of cable to move about.

Sep 10, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #66 of 76
It's now official: Headroom is holding *the* last pair of on-sale K-1000s for me. It's an open box set for $300.00 (all puns intended) -- in new condition, with all materials and full warranty (someone bought them last week and didn't realize they'd need extra amplification). Will be having them sent in roughly a week 1/2. I suppose it was an offer I couldn't, em, refuse.

Now all I have to do is decide which amp to buy -- the Parasound HCA-1000A 125W, nOrh SE 9 or something else. I have to think about other concerns than audiophile ones, though -- it has to be a setup for listening to reference mixes with my Tannoys and, once I get it configured, 5.1 speaker system, now that I can do surround sound mixes in ProTools and Digital Performer.

About the Cardas (Cord-wuss? Cutlass? Cogdash?) cable people keep mentioning -- does it terminate in speaker wires like the K1000's standard cable?

I suck at DIY, by the way. I grew up having roadies, techs and engineers do everything for me. Spoiled rotten and it's now my loss, because I can't do anything but play and compose (screw you, Richard D. James and Matt Black): "O where are the manservants, Lord Rumsfjordnads? I'm having such ever so much trouble rerouting my patch bay."

Sep 10, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #67 of 76
Scrypt
The cable for the k1000 is a stefan audio art's cable not cardas.
It comes with cardas spade connectors to hook up to your amp.

Sep 10, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #68 of 76
Good choice scrypt, you'll love the K1000 phones.

You should probably just try them out on whatever integrated amp you have first. If you have a nice preamp then Doc Bottlehead's Paramour kits might be good.

If you can make stuff then you can save a lot of money on the Stefan cable. I bought Cardas spades and wire from handmade electronics and did the whole thing for about $40, or $50 if you include part of a roll of techflex I already had and some heatshrink. The Neutrik connector that comes with the standard cable is easily reused. I have the Stefan HD600 cable and it is very nice but I don't think my own effort is far below it.

Sep 10, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt

About the Cardas (Cord-wuss? Cutlass? Cogdash?) cable people keep mentioning -- does it terminate in speaker wires like the K1000's standard cable?

The cable you are talking about is not made by Cardas but by Stefan AudioArt. You can find out more about it here . There are a number of terminations that you can choose from, depending on the amp that you will be using the cable with.

Good choice on the AKG K-1000s--they are a great headphone. I've been using them with a vintage Marantz 2226 reciever, and the combination sounds great.

Sep 10, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Good choice scrypt, you'll love the K1000 phones.

You should probably just try them out on whatever integrated amp you have first. If you have a nice preamp then Doc Bottlehead's Paramour kits might be good.

If you can make stuff then you can save a lot of money on the Stefan cable. I bought Cardas spades and wire from handmade electronics and did the whole thing for about $40, or $50 if you include part of a roll of techflex I already had and some heatshrink. The Neutrik connector that comes with the standard cable is easily reused. I have the Stefan HD600 cable and it is very nice but I don't think my own effort is far below it.

If you want to DIY a cable, and not have to destroy your existing one, check this out
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand...et&pdffile=388
They have Neutrik 4 pin connectors that look like they are the same. I will look at my 1000 connectors closely tonight, and make sure. If they look right, I will probably buy a couple, and build a diy cable.

Randy

Sep 10, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #71 of 76
That's what I mean, there is no destroying involved. The Neutrik socket has big friendly connectors for each wire that can be desoldered with some wick or even the most basic pump. The cable is left intact to be reassembled if you wanted to.

Sep 10, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #72 of 76
For the approx. $10 it will cost me ($5 connector and $5 shipping), I would rather buy a new connector than dismantle my existing cable, but that's just me
wink.gif

Randy

Sep 11, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #73 of 76
Just want to tell someone... anyone... that my K1000 arrived today. I felt like a kid with a new toy, I could hardly contain myself when I saw the FedEx box! Had to control myself not to rip apart the box to try them out!!!

Very very pleased, listened to them earlier, initial impressions... bass was slightly lacking compared with the HD600 but still... WOW! Sound outside of my head. Bargain at $359!!! Wallet still hurts but not as much! Thanks Headroom & thanks specifically to Mike for your patience & prompt action.

... listening to them again right now. I've let it run in for a couple of hours already, not much change obviously. Bass extension is definitely there. Trying to get used to how it looks but I look damn wierd! I don't care! I don't want to take them off!

My NAIM NAIT 2's 15W/Channel drives the K1000 quite well, only need less than a 1/4 turn of the volume. More than that it just becomes too loud/bright for me.

Gonna let it run overnight & have a listen then. I wish I did this for a living!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #74 of 76
I placed an order for both the nOhr SE9 amp and the replacement cable for the K1000. I got an email from Stefan Audio - they are back ordered and the expected ship date for the cable is 11/2!

Haven't these people heard of instant gratification?

Sep 12, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #75 of 76
Kevin
I am sure you will be happy with the nOrh se 9 with the k1000, post your thoughts on them together. Once you get the stefen , I am interested in your thoughts on improvement over stock cable.
bozebuttons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back