Who should pick up the tab on a date?
Dec 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #106 of 118
Then it wasn't meant to be haha

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #107 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it wasn't meant to be haha

Trust me that with that mentality it will never mean to be...
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #108 of 118
I don't even bring it up. Eye contact with the waiter when he/she is bringing the bill means it is handed to you. I'll slip a card in and hand it back without saying anything to my date.

If she insists, I refuse and simply say, "next time." Yes, I will let her pay, but I am always willing to.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #109 of 118
Even if I am just going out with female friends I pay. I was raised that a gentleman never allows a woman to pay for him.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #110 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if I am just going out with female friends I pay. I was raised that a gentleman never allows a woman to pay for him.

I used to think like that, however things have change a bit and it is ok for either one to pay. Specially the one who suggested going out on a date.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #111 of 118
Ditto. Most first dates I've been on... the girl insists on paying...

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #112 of 118
Quote:

Ditto. Most first dates I've been on... the girl insists on paying...

IME while the girl insist in paying, just let her do it, as probably it will be the last...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #113 of 118
Yup, half of these occasions, they were the first and last. But, if they didn't mean to pay, then don't insist. I am not much for fake gratuity. Like I said... probably not meant to be.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #114 of 118
Quote:

Yup, half of these occasions, they were the first and last. But, if they didn't mean to pay, then don't insist. I am not much for fake gratuity. Like I said... probably not meant to be.

Always give a girl the treatment a woman deserves, be always gentle, it doesn't matter if you look like a fool. If a girl see that you treat her like a lady, and you behave like a gentlemen, even while she may not accept you in the right moment, at least she will keep in mind you for any future, God knows, maybe she will do it only just to test you...but if you acted like a jerk, forget about her...

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #115 of 118
Ha I am "afraid" I won't have the occasion to test out your advice for quite some time... my current girl, when on our first few dates, insisted to pay her half. As time went on (5 yrs now), we just took turns paying. If and when my current girl dumps me, I will "try" to be a gentleman with the next victim haha.

Now if only I can get my gf to learn how to cook...

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #116 of 118
I was surprised to hear my husband say the guy should pay no matter what, full stop, end of story, the girl isn't paying, that's not going to happen on his watch.

I didn't know how he had that old-fashioned stuff left over in his brain. When I first came here in 96 he paid because, well, he invited me to his country, and I was beyond broke. He didn't tell me at the time that I made him beyond broke. Dinner and a movie is cheap where I'm from! He should have told me!

And now, we have joint checking and savings and CC, so it's a moot point who pays.
biggrin.gif
He opens doors for me, and holds my hand walking outside. I notice he makes more of a point about these politenesses in the winter. In the summer we may or may not hold hands it's uh - well, we're married, it's no thang, no fear of rejection there.

The reason he's Mr.Gentleman in the winter is because I can't and never will be able to walk on this mixture of snow and ice, and if he doesn't keep connected to me, I'm gonna fall on my ass.

He's not a beefed up guy but he is very strong and I'm grateful for the help.

This "old fashioned" guy also knows how to do his own laundry, goes grocery shopping (because he has the car and it's just easier), and cooks. I clean up the mess, keep the place looking nice, handle the business side of his graphics hobby, and usually do all the laundry. I'm just saying he knows his way around fabric softener if need-be. I do a lot of house-wiferly stuff because ...so does he!

(you do not want me cooking - really there's no need for us both to suffer like that)

The moral is - it's more about helping your partner, than some sort of proving your manliness if you're a guy, or your independence if your a girl.

But to get to that part, you have to get through the dating part, and the best way to do that is - if you do the asking, you do the paying. If a guy wants to prove his manliness, then do the asking. If a girl wants to prove she doesn't need looking after, then you do the asking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #117 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lots of charmers around here. if you can afford a computer and headphones then pick up the tab or at least offer to....it goes a long way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and that's why you are mr. nice
redface.gif

Hah, or Mr. Stepped Over On. Gimme a break.

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #118 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always give a girl the treatment a woman deserves, be always gentle, it doesn't matter if you look like a fool. If a girl see that you treat her like a lady, and you behave like a gentlemen, even while she may not accept you in the right moment, at least she will keep in mind you for any future, God knows, maybe she will do it only just to test you...but if you acted like a jerk, forget about her...

Great, so set yourself up that if you were so uninteresting that the only thing she would remeber is whether you were a "gentlemen" and paid for something or not, hoping that you get another chance because of it.

Sorry to say but if she does you just screened for somebody that is looking for a provider since the thing she remebered was that you opened your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back