Who should pick up the tab on a date?
Nov 2, 2007 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
this is a much better topic than "should women ask men out" isn't it? Discuss.

Personally I would never date a girl that expects me to pay for every single date. I've got way too many hobbies and money pits already, and sadly, I think my money would be better spent on them rather than some of the girls I've met.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 118
It's a tough call. I always usually try to pay for the dinner, but if they protest I'm always willing to go Dutch.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 118
I guess it depends how much money you have to spend on dates. Some women think it's cheap when the guy decides to split the bill, while others think that if a guy pays, he'll expect something in return.

Obviously if it's a small bill (say, under $15 with tip), just pay for the whole thing. It's a good idea to be frugal, but not stingy.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 118
I guess you mean with a prospective partner. I already voted split because that's what my girlfriend and I tend to do (unless one of us forgot to bring money), but if it's a date with someone you're trying to get to know better, I'd probably go with "whomever suggested the date".

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 118
I think on the first few dates, whoever suggested it should pay, but if there's to be more dates, there should be a way to even things out, whether it's split the bill or someone pay this time and the other that. I'm totally against men having to take on the financial burden of dating. That's just not right.

Nov 2, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 118
The one who ask the other one out.

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #9 of 118
I believe that you should figure it out on the night for the first few dates with the proviso the instigator better be prepared to pick up the whole tab. After the first few dates it will work itself out. Of course there is always Plan B, whoever drinks the most pays. It has cost me a fortune over the years!

cheers
Simon

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a much better topic than "should women ask men out" isn't it? Discuss.

Better topic? Why is that relevant in any way? Why does it need to be better? It's just an extension on the same theme.

There would be more dates if women asked more often.
cool.gif

You have posed an interesting question. I think that on the first date it should be assumed the cost is split, unless negotiated otherwise between the pair. "Yes, I'll go out to dinner with you if you pay".

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 118
The one who asked better be prepared to pay. Though if she offers to split the tab who am I to decline. Also, sometimes I pay for the dinner and she pays for the movie.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 118
Should be an option along the lines of 'get over it - if you're into him/her it won't be an issue'.

Don't be tight man...

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #13 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better topic? Why is that relevant in any way? Why does it need to be better? It's just an extension on the same theme.

There would be more dates if women asked more often.
cool.gif

You have posed an interesting question. I think that on the first date it should be assumed the cost is split, unless negotiated otherwise between the pair. "Yes, I'll go out to dinner with you if you pay".

naturally because I'm better than you. plus we all knew the answer to the other poll anyways
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 118
Seriously, what's wrong with splitting the check?

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 118
i voted man, even though i think its cool she can ask the guy out.

old fashioned. split it is fine or her, but i voted man as thats what i would do, especially on the first date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back