Who has an end game setup?
Apr 8, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #691 of 834
I've posted many times [ some will probably think too many times ] about using Psvane EL34PH tubes with my BHSE.

When I was using the stock mullard's and SED's, I was seriously thinking of selling my 009's and getting a pair of 007's, but the PH's stopped me from doing that.

Some had [ and probably still do ] concerns with the build quality of those PH's, but I've been using them for over a year without one problem.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #693 of 834
  I've posted many times [ some will probably think too many times ] about using Psvane EL34PH tubes with my BHSE.

When I was using the stock mullard's and SED's, I was seriously thinking of selling my 009's and getting a pair of 007's, but the PH's stopped me from doing that.

Some had [ and probably still do ] concerns with the build quality of those PH's, but I've been using them for over a year without one problem.

I think there is a way to check the compliance of tubes on the BHSE? It is the balancing procedure using a volt meter which you did when installing them. It will give you a heads up up any are getting tired or out of spec.

The other thing to watch is arching at switch on. A slight blue flame is normal for a second or so, but anything longer or whiter than that is not. Also you can actually hear a failing tube. I found on my 300B amps and the pre-amp or my existing DAC, the bass gets a bit flabby, and higher pitched music such as female vocals can get a bit edgy / rough.

It is key to swop out the tubes as they start to do that, not to wait till they finally go IMO. A failed tube can often just go and it drops off one channel with no issues to the amp. But also a failing tube can throw a short across the filaments and take out one of the gain stages or the circuit next to the EL34s.

Hope this helps someone.

Pre amp tubes can last 5 years and power tubes can last 2 years+. Some 300Bs can do that, but some won't. WE 300B can last 5 years. The problem with power amp tubes is the voltages are much higher than pre amp tubes thus more heat and more stress. I think the BHSE is designed very well i.e the output tubes are not over worked as in some power amps.

On NOS tubes (not re-manufactured) in theory or at least to many, these tubes can last longer than modern versions, which is interesting. One thing to watch with old tubes is buy from a reputable dealer you trust to sell you low use or unused tubes and matched quads. Check the tubes for damage before using them and ensure the pins are not loose or have any corrosion.

Basically owning tube amps of any variety is a love affair that needs some care and attention, like marriage Ha Ha, but that is another subject!

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #694 of 834
  David you may try 009s with HEV90.
That's really an end game setup.

Acutally the HEV90 can't really drive the SR009 or any Stax headphones properly due to a different bias rating.  The SR009 does considerably better on the BHSE & KGSSHV amplifiers compared to the Orpheus amp.  I have a Stax to HE90 adapter and tried the SR009 on my amp in the past.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #695 of 834
That's what the Aristaeus is for.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #696 of 834
  That's what the Aristaeus is for.
wink.gif

Well he said the HEV90 amp 
wink.gif

I hope to hear the Aristaeus with the SR009 one day.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #697 of 834
Acutally the HEV90 can't really drive the SR009 or any Stax headphones properly due to a different bias rating.  The SR009 does considerably better on the BHSE & KGSSHV amplifiers compared to the Orpheus amp.  I have a Stax to HE90 adapter and tried the SR009 on my amp in the past.

Technically can't drive well. There is 80 volts bias difference between he90&009.
I haven't try to do this since I don't have an adapter for hev90 to stax.
But I know at least two owners had experience in driving 009s with hev90s
Both of them give positive feedback on HEV90 plus 009 combo. One of them consider 009+hev90 is better than 009+BHSE even better than he90+hev90. They both own BHSE. Hev90 change 009 into an extremely euphoric and lush headphone without lacking the transparency and detail of 009s from their review.
I may try it out someday and post what happened here...

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #698 of 834
Technically can't drive well. There is 80 volts bias difference between he90&009.
I haven't try to do this since I don't have an adapter for hev90 to stax.
But I know at least two owners had experience in driving 009s with hev90s
Both of them give positive feedback on HEV90 plus 009 combo. One of them consider 009+hev90 is better than 009+BHSE even better than he90+hev90. They both own BHSE. Hev90 change 009 into an extremely euphoric and lush headphone without lacking the transparency and detail of 009s from their review.
I may try it out someday and post what happened here...

I beg to differ b/c I do have the HEV90 & BHSE as well.  I do like the BHSE better at driving the SR009.  Though I suspect that the Aristaeus should be a great match at driving the SR009.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #699 of 834

I don't think the whole reliability issue should be in question here.  Most of the Stax amps have proven to be very reliable after many years in operation.  KG, Spritzer, and Stax enthusiasts are still at the forefront of getting the best sound out of their amplifiers/headphones. They are also utilizing a newly available high voltage parts as a replacement to the obsolete ones .  The KGSTs & KGSSHVs are available for less than 3k and they work great with both the SR009, SR007 MKI or MKII.  

The BHSE in that impression only used a new issued Mullard EL34s which are not an optimum match to the SR009.  A simple tube upgrades to BHSE amplifier can easily yield another 10-15% of improvement alone.

purk,

Apologies if you have mentioned it before, but what tubes do you recommend with the BHSE? 

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #701 of 834

He just answered in post 689 - new production Mullard

No, actually Purk indicated that the new production Mullard tubes suck -- or at least aren't near optimal. Purk runs vintage brown-base Holland-made EL34 (XF4/XF5) in his BHSE.

I know that because I accidentally smashed an XF4 and had to buy him another matched pair. Note to self: don't smash rare expensive tubes.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #702 of 834
No, actually Purk indicated that the new production Mullard tubes suck -- or at least aren't near optimal. Purk runs vintage brown-base Holland-made EL34 (XF4/XF5) in his BHSE.

I know that because I accidentally smashed an XF4 and had to buy him another matched pair. Note to self: don't smash rare expensive tubes.

So I had a match quad and now left with two match pairs. Of course, mulveling survived my assault and lives on to tell the tale:smiley:

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #705 of 834
  Oops, my mistake. Of course it takes unobtanium to achieve audio nirvana ... oh well, I'll have to stick with new production Mullard suckage 
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't have to.

60's/70's East German RFT are still available in matched quads in the $250.00 range. They're not quite  NOS Mullard/Telefunken quality, but they're superior to any of the modern stuff I've heard. Plenty on Ebay as well as other sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back