Title should be changed to:
[size=small]Who drives with headphones (and slightly suicidal)?[/size]
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #47 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you pay attention to whats going on around you its not a problem. If the deaf can drive an IEM is not a problem.

-jesse

This is seriously the most uneducated comment I have ever seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Title should be changed to:
[size=small]Who drives with headphones (and slightly suicidal)?[/size]
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Agreed. btw I would LOVE to get the Clix2, if only it were cheaper. Sadly I'm at a point that even spending $150 on an mp3 player is an extravagance. =(

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #48 of 77
I drive with my KSC35's or 75's at times

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #51 of 77
Why would anyone want to drive with IEM on?
Someone who has their car stereo on at extreme levels is one thing, but at least the other people on the road have a visible warning then that the driver can't hear anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

But with IEM it's a different beast, as most people won't be able to tell that you have them on, and that one of your senses is completely blocked out.

Also, when you do happen to have had them on and you get in some kind of accident where you were completely not at fault, I'm sure some people would frown upon it if they were aware that your hearing was completely shut off, which may lead to unwanted complications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I woudlnt drive with an IEM.

I wouldnt bump a 3 year old thread either, but thats just me. ¬_¬

XD
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #52 of 77
For long trips, I drive with my ER-4's with triple flanges for at least half the trip. Been doing it for years. Yes, the outside sounds are almost completely isolated, but you can "feel" the sounds of your engine, transmission and tires through the vibration of the steering wheel. However, if you are driving an old vehicle that has a decent chance of breaking down, you may want to keep your ears open. :wink:

For me, my ER-4's help me drive. They keep me energized and alert. I'm able to concentrate solely on the act of driving, because somehow the music makes me become one with the road. I am fully aware of what's in front of me, behind me, and all around me at all times. It's almost as if I'm hyper-aware. There are no distractions, no cell phones, and there is no boredom. It's just me and the road, and that is all.

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #54 of 77
I drive with E500s on almost all the time, and I use the tri-flanges too.
smily_headphones1.gif

I drive a first gen Miata which is an extremely loud car with very little isolation of it's own so I still remain fairly alert; I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a Lexus or a Maybach with UE-10s though. :O

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #55 of 77
I drive with one earbud on my left ear mainly because it's illegal in Cali to drive with both ears covered, but it does help me stay awake when I'm driving from San Francisco to San Luis Obispo for college, vice versa. Don't know why though...car stereos make me more sleepy haha...

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #56 of 77
What is the point of this thread? I think you would have to be dumb to genuinely think that driving with iem's is not dangerous, or at least puts you at an increased risk to yourself and others around you by the sheer fact that you are taking away one of your senses. The lack of hearing impairs your abilities to react to obstacles and makes it harder (or impossible) for you to hear horns, sirens, screeching tires, accidents, pedestrians, explosions, terrorist attacks, nuclear holocausts, etc (sorry...got a little carried away there with the last two). Yes the deaf can drive, but their disability gets them special license plates so those around them can be mindful. I have several deaf friends and all of them have bumper stickers warning cars around them that the driver is deaf.

I suppose if you are an absolutely perfect driver, who always checks their blind spots, was always 100% attentive, and has esp so you can anticipate what those on the road around you are doing, then there would be no harm in driving with iems...

I certainly understand the desire to drive with music (hell I get super nervous if I don't have my stereo on in the car) but I always keep it to the stereo, never headphones or iems. Yes, many cars these days have isolation, some even noise cancelling, but these are designed to not block out important noises like sirens and horns (they do however reduce wind, engine, and road noise). In short, if you really need that high fidelity music, upgrade your car stereo. If you can spend 300-400 bucks on headphones, you can probably save up a bit and spend 1000 bucks on a car stereo if yours is not up to your standards (lets be honest here, nobody who is spending over 100 bucks on headphones is on welfare).

There's my 2 cents...it would have been 6 cents, but I'm saving up for an RA-1

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #57 of 77
I don´t want to drive with people using headphones... It´s only marginally better then talking with mobiles...

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #59 of 77
If you've ever hit and injured/killed anyone in a car accident you'll know that that feeling of regret, of what-if, of giving anything for it not to have happened...

I live in a no-fault jurisdiction, but there's still possibility to be sued the the other driver or injured passengers for negligence. If you survive an accident and are sued, I can imagine evidence of your headphone use obliterating any defence you might have.

Again, apart from the fact that it's against the law in many places in the world, for that split second of distraction that might cause or contribute to a major accident... it's just not worth it.

Sorry for the sermon, but I have some experience in this.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #60 of 77
It's not unsafe to drive with headphones on, since luxury cars provide just as much isolation and are still safe, and deaf drivers don't have any problems. But in California it is illegal, so I guess we shouldn't do it. Besides, I like hearing my 1.8L Honda engine roar! So no isolation for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back