Who drives with headphones?
Aug 23, 2004 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Gummy

100+ Head-Fier
Inspired by the ER-4S that's on sale in the forum...
Seller mentioned that he drove with IEM on.

Isn't that very dangerous with the good isolation?
I remembering reading in like the first page of the manual that came with the e2 that you shouldn't bike or drive with IEMs.

I think this is a serious matter as people could be endangering lives
frown.gif

What are your thoughts?

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 77
On long trips I've driven I do wear my at-em9r clip-on headphones with my mp3 player. They don't really isolate well and it's actually probably safer than sitting their switching cd's a bunch of times while driving.

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 77
This has been discussed before. You don't need to be able to hear to drive. Do you listen to your car stereo when driving? Do you listen to people talking? Cell phone? If you come from the distraction angle you shouldn't be allowed to do any of those things while driving if you can't listen to IEMs. The only audible indicator when driving is the horn, and its never something you need to hear if you're paying attention. As it is in a car you're fairly isolated, and with any of the above things going on you're as oblivious as you would be with IEM isolation.

-jesse

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 77
I've once tried E3c on a closed road (air strip) just to see how much it isolates. Even at full throttle, I can't hardly hear anything except for my own breathing (I nearly missed my shift). This is suprising since I was driving my Honda with full Mugen header/exhaust setup. It made driving 1/4 mile so distant (emotionally detached) as if I was playing a video game. I would not recommend trying headphones while driving in any public road for safety reason. My experience made me appreciate so much that I still have my hearing (I have a friend who can't hear).

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 77
Not only is it unsafe, it's illegal in many areas. I would never drive or bike with IEMs on. I'd also think twice about walking outside with them as well.

On a side note, I would think that the individual meant that he no longer "travels" for work, so he no longer needs the IEMs. I travel so I can relate to the need for isolation for that purpose. Isolation is important for air travel among other things.

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
You don't need to be able to hear to drive. Do you listen to your car stereo when driving? Do you listen to people talking? Cell phone?
-jesse

Right, the sirens on emergency vehicles are just there to look pretty I guess. I can hear a siren over my car stereo, cell phone, or a conversation.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
Right, the sirens on emergency vehicles are just there to look pretty I guess. I can hear a siren over my car stereo, cell phone, or a conversation.

Yes, you can see the flashing lights, as well as sometimes being able to hear them as well.

Anyways, I am comfiscating them from him, so he will not do that again. I've left him with adequate compensation.
biggrin.gif

BTW, for a long cross country drive, I've worn ear plugs as well, the road and engine noise just really got to me. And yes, I was the driver. How would wearing ear plugs be any different than a really well sound insulated luxury vehicle?

Of course if you had music blasting, that would be another story.

But yes, the hearing impaired are permitted to drive.

-Ed

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yes, you can see the flashing lights, as well as sometimes being able to hear them as well.

-Ed

In my experience you can hear them long before you see them. Here in California headphones while driving are illegal for that specific reason.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummy
Inspired by the ER-4S that's on sale in the forum...
Seller mentioned that he drove with IEM on.

Isn't that very dangerous with the good isolation?
I remembering reading in like the first page of the manual that came with the e2 that you shouldn't bike or drive with IEMs.

I think this is a serious matter as people could be endangering lives
frown.gif

What are your thoughts?

The brave.....

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 77
I personally don't believe there's much point to this debate.

Is talking on the cellphone always unsafe while driving? No.

Of course there are exceptions, but as long as there are risks they shouldn't be used at all.

Safety first is safety first. There's no point in taking any risks when yours and other people's lives are on the line.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbagump
link to the law on it in cali...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm

Of course it still does not address those that are completely deaf.

There is an automatic exception, I would imagine.
But there are reasnable limits for the disabled. Should people that are completely blind be permitted to drive? That's a stupid rhetorical question, BTW.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back